Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-30-2016, 12:57 PM

In non personal transactions, one party has to be holding the item and the money at the same time. Unless your a reputable retail outfit I choose that party to be me. If I am buying a rifle, you send me the rifle before I send you cash. If Im selling a rifle, samies.....I get your money then I send the rifle.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 AM

I will read this whole thread tonight, but the only time I was ever scammed was through a WTB ad I posted on this forum. I don't hold the site responsible, in anyway, but since I sent the EMT...the bank would do nothing. Having the user's email/phone # meant nothing, and while the police took all the details..there is nothing they could, or would do about it.

Seller was in Manitoba or rather...claimed to be. The area code jived, but the police told me that they can make their email/phone # appear like they're local.

I did an extensive Google image search and found the photos the "seller" sent me, claiming it was the rifle he/she had for sale. Since then (and I don't like doing it) the only thing I do, that was suggested to me...was to at least verify that the person who claims to have a given item for sale, prove that they have it at least. I request that photos are sent to me by email, and IN every photo..include a piece of paper with my name on it. If I get photos of a scope say (and I did recently)...and there it is laying on a piece of paper with my name on it, I feel some degree of confidence the seller is real.

Granted, the more expensive the item...the further away the seller~the higher the scrutiny on my end. Will likely involve all of that, plus, a phone call.

I lost $350, tough lesson to learn when you're on a tight budget. I think about it every time I post a WTB ad...and yes..I'm still looking for a Rossi SAC pump .22.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:49 AM
Banned

After several transactions both here and on CGN, I am fortunate to have never been scammed. However, it's a changing world and the scammers seem to be populating. Not just in the firearm community, but everywhere. After reading some of these horrible stories, I may very well restrict my deals to people that I know, trust and respect.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
In non personal transactions, one party has to be holding the item and the money at the same time. Unless your a reputable retail outfit I choose that party to be me. If I am buying a rifle, you send me the rifle before I send you cash. If Im selling a rifle, samies.....I get your money then I send the rifle.

How many rifles have you purchased that way lol. Don't see any trader feedback?
Sold many rifles and guns on this site and CGN.......no one ever suggested that I send them the firearm first and they send the money later. Nobody is going to do this
Old 10-31-2016, 12:10 PM

I was almost scammed a while back, also on a WTB post.
This could be the same guy the OP posted about.
He claimed to be in Manitoba.
I tried to flush him out via text but he wised up.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=279331
Old 10-31-2016, 12:31 PM

2500.00 is a pile of money.I don't feel comfortable with this emt thing and can't imagine sending money first before receiving anything.The deals I have done have been done c.o.d. and who who not accept this?The seller is always paid and the buyer will at least get an empty box,the buyer is still at risk.Would members be happy sending it through a local dealer?It would be safer.I am looking for a .444 now but just cannot send money without some security.Tough for us rural folks though
Old 10-31-2016, 04:32 PM

how would you do COD if you live in the country?
Does Canada post do this?
There is no way I would send you a rifle with no cash in my hand.
I have done hundreds of transactions, and only once got scammed and it was my own fault. I didn't do any do diligence and it bit me.
I see you want your cake and eat it too. You want someone to send you money before you send them a gun, but are totally unwilling to do the other way around?
It sucks big time to get scammed.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:41 PM

Default Rating

I have had sellers with no trader rating send me the goods first, then me send funds after as the person with the good rating. It makes good sense really. Its weird how were ok with sending our hard earned money first, but its pretty much unheard of to send the item first.
AO should start a sellers/buyers revolution.
The member with the lowerst trader rating sends first!
Old 10-31-2016, 07:48 PM

That sucks....
Old 10-31-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I guess that would explain your complete lack of feedback.

I've had people try and scam me, mostly if I post a WTB ad, but never fell for it yet. Done lots of good deals here and on CGN, as buyer, seller, and trading. Feedback is important, but my favorite Python came from an older gent in ON with zero feedback that I was sure was a scammer, and I was actually pretty rude to him about it. Turns out he just never bought or sold online before. We talked, got to be friends, and the deal was done, and it is one of my favorite shooters. In over 200 dealings, I have never once insisted that I 'hold the money and the firearm' both, or felt the need to. But whatever works for you.
When buying and selling restricted, it helps that the CFC is involved, you can get the transfer done and have them involved, before money is sent, or firearm sent. Pretty hard to run a scam that way.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone