Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-09-2016, 11:07 PM

Default Suffield bull tag drawn

Two years in a row for the second hunt. Last year it took a p8 now it's a three. I got a 350 gross bull last year and now the lady has one to fill. Anyone else get drawn??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.1 KB, 565 views)
Old 07-10-2016, 12:20 AM

350 bull? Who scored it? Maybe a bad pic.
Just you have posted it several times as a 350 bull. I would be proud too but 350 seems way outta wack. Looks like a 300.
But if it is a 350" I apologize. Thanks for posting 20 times and I will zip it.🤘
Old 07-10-2016, 01:39 AM

Just a bad pic I guess. We scored him green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.7 KB, 523 views)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:09 AM

I drew first season rifle. Pretty excited to try this hunt/adventure out.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:50 PM

Also got drawn for bull for what looks like the 4th hunt (Dec 5-7). Have heard so much about this hunt good and bad on this forum and looking forward to experiencing it first hand. I assume earlier the better but hopefully some off base hunting in November will scare them back into the base?? just thinking optimistically haha
Good luck to everyone this season!
Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
Also got drawn for bull for what looks like the 4th hunt (Dec 5-7). Have heard so much about this hunt good and bad on this forum and looking forward to experiencing it first hand. I assume earlier the better but hopefully some off base hunting in November will scare them back into the base?? just thinking optimistically haha
Good luck to everyone this season!
lets get a monarch!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:19 AM

Every hunt has it's opportunity at ab elk. The first two hunts seem to pull majority of the bulls, they get smart and stay safe that's why it's hard to get a bull after the first couple hunts. And it's really all about luck and being at the right place at right times. We got my bull about an hour after the meeting. And I was parked as they come running over to us. I never had any bad things to say about the hunt. Except someone else trying to shoot from the road at the same group and same elk. Lucky for me I knocked down mine. You get idiots everywhere you go.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:01 PM

Congrats on a nice bull , looks like he could push 350 to me . Good luck this fall .
Old 07-12-2016, 02:11 AM

I as well have been drawn for the Dec 5-7 hunt this year. I know it's a ways away but anyone else wanting to stay in touch during the hunt and/or swap stories over a whiskey in the evenings pm me. I will most likely me staying at med hat.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:28 AM

I was drawn for the first hunt, Nov 1-3. Where does a person find information about the base, as in where you access, what time you're allowed on the base each day, are you allowed ATV's, these types of questions?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 AM

I believe we will get an information package in the mail. Correct me if I am wrong....
Old 07-13-2016, 05:30 AM

I also got drawn for the Dec 5-7 hunt. i have never hunted the base before but am looking forward to a chance at a nice bull
Old 07-13-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck403 View Post
Every hunt has it's opportunity at ab elk. The first two hunts seem to pull majority of the bulls, they get smart and stay safe that's why it's hard to get a bull after the first couple hunts. And it's really all about luck and being at the right place at right times. We got my bull about an hour after the meeting. And I was parked as they come running over to us. I never had any bad things to say about the hunt. Except someone else trying to shoot from the road at the same group and same elk. Lucky for me I knocked down mine. You get idiots everywhere you go.
You got a nice Elk.However it doesn't sound like much of an Elk hunt to me.

More like a lot of animals running around from one place to another and getting shot in the process.
Still an Elk is an Elk I guess.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:56 AM

I was drawn for the Nov 14-16 hunt. First time for me to be hunting on the base. I'm looking forward to the experience. In addition to Double A Ron's questions, anyone with past experience on this type of hunt that is willing to share their tips, observations, and suggestions will be welcomed to us Suffield newbies. Thank you.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:35 PM

will be interesting to see if a P3 is worth the second hunt, after at least 100 bull tags(first pull 3 days), and i'm thinking about 4-500 natives pounding bulls and cows for a full week, over the entire base, prior to week two. they may change the game(NWA, et) but i doubt it. the " quality" bull population took a sheet kicking last year.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:25 PM

For me hunting is more important that the kill.

Suffield may be a good place to kill a big bull Elk.

However is it a great place to hunt one in terms of the overall experience?

I will leave that question up for the members who have drawn a tag in past years to answer.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
I was drawn for the Nov 14-16 hunt. First time for me to be hunting on the base. I'm looking forward to the experience. In addition to Double A Ron's questions, anyone with past experience on this type of hunt that is willing to share their tips, observations, and suggestions will be welcomed to us Suffield newbies. Thank you.
Make sure you can make a kill shot at 500+ yards. A good range finder up to 1000 yards. And if your judging distance by eye, double what you guess.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:05 AM

I'm drawn for outside of the base (surrounding lands) Nov 16 - Dec 20th. Do I even have a chance at a bull?