Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Default WMU 510 Moose!

Every year I would see guys posting threads or question on moose after the draw results guess I should've paid attention!

Anyways a friend of mine after drawing for 5 years was finally awarded is 510 bull moose draw

He's fairly knowledgeable about the land out there as his parents used to live out there, my question for you guys is;

when is prime calling/rut season for moose in this area?

I know weather does have a big role so let's say provided this year is going to be a warm fall in going to assume so October would be the rut?

If it's a cold September, last couple weeks of September could be the rut?

He wants to hunt during calling season

Thanks guys/ gals!
Old 07-10-2016, 02:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You answered your own question, hot sept moves it It to October, you got to be out there and see what is happening, last week of sept first few of October but if your not there you will never know.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-10-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You answered your own question, hot sept moves it It to October, you got to be out there and see what is happening, last week of sept first few of October but if your not there you will never know.

Perfect, gotcha I was doing some reading just wanted to make sure

Yeah we're going to be out there quite a bit scouting starting next weekend with trail cams and looking or sign
Old 07-10-2016, 02:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspenCreekOutdoors View Post
Perfect, gotcha I was doing some reading just wanted to make sure

Yeah we're going to be out there quite a bit scouting starting next weekend with trail cams and looking or sign
Don't get out there tromping all through the bush, in, set up cams, out and come back in a week or so and repeat, right now a early stroll to check on old sign is ok but later in the season don't go in often, push the cows out and the Bulls go to.
Good luck, tread lightly out there...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-10-2016, 06:57 PM

Last week of September, first week of October.
In a area with no other hunters, my favourite is the first week of October. However if there are others hunting in the same area the earlier the better (before everybody is calling all day long )
Old 07-12-2016, 07:22 AM

The rut will start on Oct 2nd at approximately 848am....

Kidding... i hunt 510 and have called them in as early as 3rd week of sept and as late as thanksgiving. Personally i like to start calling late sept. Majority of our moose over the years were taken last few days of sept/first few days of oct.

Have fun, still feel there is nothing better then archery hunting moose during the rut!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:19 AM

Just for the record elk rut in September, moose in October and deer in November, every year. Mother nature does not change because the sun comes out.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:51 AM

It's a darn good bet that the Moose rut will kick off in earnest during the last full moon phase in September. This moon phase usually coincides with the first killing frosts when ice forms on the smaller puddles of water... normally about the third week of the month. From this point the rut will ramp up and will peak about two weeks later. Seems it's been this way forever.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:04 AM

510 is nice during calling season because its archery only during that time so much less other hunters around

rifle only during nov, then its a warzone

its funny you waited for 5 years for a draw, up to 2 years ago archey moose in 510 was general and only rifle was draw

you could have been hunting bull and calf moose archery season every year with no draw for those previous 3 years, before they changed it

Last edited by D4l3k; 07-13-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post
510 is nice during calling season because its archery only during that time so much less other hunters around

rifle only during nov, then its a warzone

its funny you waited for 5 years for a draw, up to 2 years ago archey moose in 510 was general and only rifle was draw

you could have been hunting bull and calf moose archery season every year with no draw for those previous 3 years, before they changed it
After this last message that makes a lot of sense. Just to clarify to the OP as it seems they may not be aware. 510 is archery only until Nov 1st when rifle season opens.