Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 PM

Default Stolen truck

Looking for some advice on what to expect from the insurance company and how to deal with them.

Truck was stolen and involved in a police pursuit, the low life drove it, like he stole it of course, through ditches, fields, farmyards, fences, over culverts and through farmyards in an attempt to outrun the police until he got stuck in a ravine, where the chase carried on by foot with dogs till he jumped in a river and got away. It is a ford so it's tough but I can't see a one ton truck coming out of that without some damage. As of yet I have not seen it so I have no idea of its condition.

Presumably the insurance company will pay for repairs and whatever is missing but I'm wondering about how, or if they figure how much less it is worth after repairs than before it was stolen. Also driving a 6.0 powerstroke like that has me wondering if I'm gonna be left with a truck in need if an engine job in the next little while.

No dodge or chev is better bs, thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 PM

What ever they offer initially, negotiate. Think of any and all improvements you did to the truck that would increase its value and use them. I had my quad stolen last year. They gave me a number based on avg kijiji ads in my area for the similar machine. I started mentioning improvements and the pay out increased by 25%
Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 PM

I'd have it checked on a frame machine to make sure nothing's bent and have the front end checked over. Hitting ditches and such can wreck ball joints/bend axles/tie rods. Also make them pay to have all fluids changed and everything looked over good. Seen plenty of bent parts from ditches being hit and such. Also look it over real good and find anything that wasn't there before. And above all drive if they fix it to make sure its like it was before. Don't sign off till your satisfied.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:31 AM

Make sure to take it to the place YOU want to have it look at. NOT the place the insurance co say you should. It is your choice.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 AM

When we get a stolen and recovered vehicle as a claim, we always try to run it through a dealer or mechanic's shop(owners choice) and get the best inspection they offer, Fluid changes on all the driveline and wheel alignment. That covers the basics and is our starting point on the mechanical side, then add for body work. I have done theft recoveries where we don't even get that far as all the damages combined make it a write off. You will know more about your truck once you see it. Make a list of all things you see that are from the theft. Get any upgrades or recent mechanical invoices ready to show your adjuster(may help with value). And have a realistic value in your mind on what it is worth in the event they want to write it off. Ask your salesman to give you an opinion of value and check Kijiji for what comparable's are selling for. An appraiser will come out to look at it, meet him if you can and show him what you see. He doesn't know your truck, what's old damage or what's new. Theft recoveries can be a big concern when it is known to be in a chase etc like you describe. It comes down to cost of damages vs value basically and what we call open areas. The damages you don't see or find until you start repairs and do some checks.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Default My F-350 was stolen last fall

It took until March to sort everything out with insurance. In the mean time they paid for a rental truck (not car) so I could still do the things I need to with my truck. They had some hack appraisal outfit look it over and say it needed about $1200 in repairs even though it was all scratched up, dented in spots, coolant all over the engine compartment and a blown spark plug. Multiple calls and emails went to the insurance adjuster that were never answered. I finally had a dealership go over it and there was $9000 in damage. Out of desperation I emailed the VP of claims, as the claims manager was no better than the adjuster at returning calls or emails, and the matter was magically resolved the next day when they wrote the truck off.
My advice is to dig up all receipts you have so you can show your truck is worth so much, get 2 or 3 kijiji ads with vehicles that are similar. Sometimes that's difficult considering the flogged oil patch trucks out there. With all the claims for hail and floods the last 2 years they have all sorts of excuses to give to you but don't accept them. Be relentless in hounding them and go up the chain quickly if you figure they're jerking you around. And you should double check that if any issues come up within a year of the recovery that they are still responsible for fixing them.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
An appraiser will come out to look at it, meet him if you can and show him what you see. He doesn't know your truck, what's old damage or what's new. .
In my case the appraiser did one of those drive by appraisals where they don't get out of their car because its snowing. I had specifically asked to be there when he was there so we could go over the truck together but the insurance company and appraiser had their own plans and time in mind. In my case I could have told him his $1200 estimate was completely out of whack as the same truck was stolen 3 years earlier and was less damaged when recovered and it needed $4000 worth of repairs.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 PM

I've never been in your position but I think you're on a good track.

Make sure you get EVERY joint, bearing and bushing checked in the front end. A lot of things could have been knocked loose in the pursuit. Even going over a speed bump too fast can have negative effects, so I can't imagine what this might have done. Ensure all gaskets and seals are checked and replaced. Shock absorbers and leaf springs/shackles/mounting points could have also taken a beating if the truck bottomed out at any point.

Look on the bright side -- you can take them for everything they're worth -- it's about time someone gets their money's worth from their insurance company cheers!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Years ago, my younger sister had her car stolen. They recovered her car about a week later. Insurance fixed majority of it but it was not the same again. I told my dad to have it written off. The car was a Pontiac Sunbird GT Turbo. The tranny was shot, issues with turbo, burn holes in the seats/dash. Tires were burned off, couple dings and other damage.

My advise go thru the truck with a fine-toothed comb-don't settle for less. If there are issues you don't like tell insurance. Otherwise tell them you want a payout and walk away.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 AM

Default Appreciate the input

All sounds like good advice thanks a lot, if you have a superduty I suggest a type of security system, just to avoid the phone calls and insurance bs. So far there is a mechanical estimate at about 8 grand not including any body work.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Usually the insurance company just does the math, repairs vs. write-off/payout cost, whichever is cheaper for them, not necessarily best for you. Just seek to work honestly with them and demand what you're owed. Their first offer will not be the final offer and will likely not satisfy you. Lots of other good advice in this thread re: frame damage, joints, body damage, etc.

My sister got screwed by insurance when they "straightened the frame" on her Hyundai - never steered straight again and she sold it for much less than comparable cars. I was involved in an accident and had to fight for a write off. They hated that because it was a new vehicle and I had new vehicle replacement insurance, so I got a brand new car. Point is I had to work for it.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:10 PM

If a truck was run real hard you may find skid plates gone with mud and vegetation jammed up anywhere on the undercarriage. That is what I look for when I buy a used truck. Hope you get compensated fairly.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:32 PM

I would be afraid to drive that truck home from the body shop after that. I suggest that you sell or trade it in asap.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Since when do insurance companies use frickin' Kijiji to determine value. That's not good at all..... Gawd....

Can you give us the name of the insurance company so we can be sure not to use them?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:54 PM

Meloche Monnex in my case. The adjuster was in Toronto. I went with them because they had the lowest car rates for me but boy was it so not worth it.