Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Default Good GM dealer in Edmonton

Hello fellow AOF-ers.

I have a problem with my '02 Suburban. In particular, with the HVAC system.
Not gonna bother you with how it happened, here is the problem. It looks like the gate controlling cold/hot airflow doesnt work. Right now it is stuck in hot only. Before it was barely hot, not cold, didnt change the directions (blew only on the windshield regardless where the controls are).
I took it to the Chevy Farm in Edmonton, was given the "diagnosis" - heater core, actuator motors. About $1500 for the core, $250 each for 2 actuators.
Took it to my friend's semi-retired father who has been working as a car mechanic for all his life.
Heater core problem - >>> low coolant in engine.
Both actuators work just fine.
Looks/sounds like some kind of controller/computer problem.
He took it apart, put it back together, everything was working just fine when i got it back a week ago.
Now it stuck on hot again.
He mentioned that there is some kind "self-learning" HVAC system (?) that can be programmed (?).

Any personal experiences with qualified/smart/good gm techs (doesn't have to be a dealership). I need to get it fixed.

PS. Please no flame wars Ford vs Dodge vs GM vs everything else.
PPS. Have '02 Suburban for sale. Great winter vehicle
Old 09-22-2013, 03:57 PM

Southgate has some great mechanics. Ive always had good luck but I know some guys who wish that place would burn down too.....
Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Hello fellow AOF-ers.

I have a problem with my '02 Suburban. In particular, with the HVAC system.
Not gonna bother you with how it happened, here is the problem. It looks like the gate controlling cold/hot airflow doesnt work. Right now it is stuck in hot only. Before it was barely hot, not cold, didnt change the directions (blew only on the windshield regardless where the controls are).
I took it to the Chevy Farm in Edmonton, was given the "diagnosis" - heater core, actuator motors. About $1500 for the core, $250 each for 2 actuators.
Took it to my friend's semi-retired father who has been working as a car mechanic for all his life.
Heater core problem - >>> low coolant in engine.
Both actuators work just fine.
Looks/sounds like some kind of controller/computer problem.
He took it apart, put it back together, everything was working just fine when i got it back a week ago.
Now it stuck on hot again.
He mentioned that there is some kind "self-learning" HVAC system (?) that can be programmed (?).

Any personal experiences with qualified/smart/good gm techs (doesn't have to be a dealership). I need to get it fixed.

PS. Please no flame wars Ford vs Dodge vs GM vs everything else.
PPS. Have '02 Suburban for sale. Great winter vehicle
Google your issue. You may find that there are others who have created threads with the same issue and have posted solutions.

If you're looking for deals on new parts check the US. Also look at www.car-part.com, rockauto or ebay.

You can also look online at self serve wreckers to such as pick and pull and bucks auto. You will pay a fraction of what the local dealer wants.