Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Here is an interesting scenario:

You get stopped at a game checkstop at 11:00 pm
LEO asks if you have an animal or firearms on board.
You tell them 'no animal' but I do have my restricted pistol on board.
LEO directs you to open your case, show all paperwork (ATT/Reg/LIC)

YOU politely tell the LEO you must refuse the direction as given because it violates the terms of your ATT (home or range only not on the side of the highway)
The officer now gets upset, very upset and starts threatening you with charges etc.
You then calmly ask the officer if they are a Chief Firearms Officer who, on a whim CAN compel you to show all your papers and arms at any time and anywhere.
When the officer replies they are employed by the crown, you are vindicated and can tell them (politely) to pound sand.. within the confines of the firearms act, you are 100% within your rights to do this without fear or repercussions.

But.

Download a copy of the Criminal Code, and you will discover, that the officer CAN COMPEL you to open that case, it IS an offence to refuse and ya, this is gonna cost you some grief in a real hurry.

And before you ask the obvious, yes it happened to me. 3 hours later, AFTER the LEO took posession of my firearm, I was out of the interview room etc etc. Lots more to the story, but you get the drift by now.

Even with everything in order, I feel like East Berlin when talking to LEO's now.

'Papers Komrade