Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Sorry, may be a little off topic. We've never had any penalties shooting restricted firearms on private property.
Given that the RCMP are the people meant to enforce the laws, and members of the RCMP are doing the shooting, I am not surprised. Those in authority are often above the law. However, that doesn't apply to us regular citizens.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Given that the RCMP are the people meant to enforce the laws, and members of the RCMP are doing the shooting, I am not surprised. Those in authority are often above the law. However, that doesn't apply to us regular citizens.
X2

technically your Wife and her fellow members are breaking the laws...like Elkhunter11 stated if everyday joes did this we would likely be charged if caught....sometimes the laws truly don't apply to those who enforce them...

Lefty
Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

If you were caught, somebody reported you. That somebody believed you were doing it in an unsafe manner and told on you.
We take every pre-caution in making sure we are shooting in a safe manner. Used my dozer to pile dirt. To make a proper backstop.
When the closest firing range is a 10 hr car ride, I'll do whatever I can to make sure my wife has the practice and skills to hit whatever or whoever she's aiming at if she is ever forced to draw her service pistol.

I can see where some people would look down on my post but in the end you have to see it from my view. Fresh out of depot my wife was uncomfortable with her sidearm. Through practice on our property, she has become an excellent shooter, able to outshoot most of her co-workers. In our 11 yrs we have seen co-workers come and go. The woman especially are given this pistol in depot and taught how to shoot it, but are never given the time to actually become comfortable with it. My wife was given a sidearm in depot, not right when she got there but approximately half way through. About 12 weeks training maybe 3 hours a week, sometimes not even that. Some of these woman have become better shooters at our place and have gained confidence they never had at depot.

I have enough to worry about with her on patrol. Knowing she can handle her pistol brings me some comfort.

With 4 days on and 4 days off, we just can't jump in the truck and drive to the range. She also gets called in a lot on her 4 days off. Her hours of work are very stressful on our family. She makes more money in overtime than she does on her salary every year.

Last edited by Manitoba_shooter; 03-28-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba_shooter View Post
If you were caught, somebody reported you. That somebody believed you were doing it in an unsafe manner and told on you.
We take every pre-caution in making sure we are shooting in a safe manner. Used my dozer to pile dirt. To make a proper backstop.
When the closest firing range is a 10 hr car ride, I'll do whatever I can to make sure my wife has the practice and skills to hit whatever or whoever she's aiming at if she is ever forced to draw her service pistol.
I have never been caught....cause I have never done it....CAUSE ITS AGAINST THE LAW.....I am fully capable of doing it safely thats not the issue. If it was legal all of us responsible gun owers/shooter would likely do it safely.

Realistically your Wife and her fellow members should follow the laws like the rest of us. Seeing as they are the ones who are supposed to be enforcing these laws. I would love more than anything to take my Son out to the 50 quarter sections of land I have permission on to shoot safely and teach him how to use my restricted firearms....but I can't its illegal, my firearms and hunting are too important for me to lose.

Lefty
Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM

I have to say I have the utmost respect for the RCMP and the jobs they do. I actually have rented my basement out to new RCMP members in the Edmonton area in the past, and they were female.

Her and I would go to the range and shoot and I actually showed her how to disassemble and clean her service firearm. I showed her how to reload ammunition, etc.

The point I am trying to make is that what you are doing on your property is technically illegal. I don't dispute how valuable practice is, etc. The venue you have chosen is likely not an approved range. Maybe the laws as written are different for RCMP members than the general public?

Regards,
Lefty
Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Myself and others could easily do the same, but it wouldn't make it legal.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:03 PM

it is sad isn't it that we couldn't be on the same side, with Manitoba Shooter.
But I agree my hunting and my investment in my firearms mean to much to jeopardize.
Maybe Manitoba can lobby for us all to be allowed to shoot restricted while hunting or plinking or for varmint control? Go straight to the big boss and ask if we can please please pretty please shoot handguns and AR- on private land
Damn rose colored glasses!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Nova *!% View Post
it is sad isn't it that we couldn't be on the same side, with Manitoba Shooter.
But I agree my hunting and my investment in my firearms mean to much to jeopardize.
Maybe Manitoba can lobby for us all to be allowed to shoot restricted while hunting or plinking or for varmint control? Go straight to the big boss and ask if we can please please pretty please shoot handguns and AR- on private land
Damn rose colored glasses!
I agree it would be great if you were allowed to shoot restircted firearms on private land.....

Lefty
Old 03-28-2011, 04:12 PM

When I had handguns, they were registered to my land location

when I asked the RCMP, what that meant, they said my handguns could not leave my property without an ATT to my gun range (which I had) using the methods layed out in the ATT

I then asked whether I could get a holster and carry open, and they said "Sure, as long as you don't have a loaded firearm in/on a vehicle, you can carry that and shoot it all you want in a safe manner on your own property, as that is the location it is registered to.

I got this right from the RCMP about 11 years ago
Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I then asked whether I could get a holster and carry open, and they said "Sure, as long as you don't have a loaded firearm in/on a vehicle, you can carry that and shoot it all you want in a safe manner on your own property, as that is the location it is registered to.

I got this right from the RCMP about 11 years ago
That isn't what the Alberta CFO is telling people now. Even the standards for approved ranges have changed significantly over the years.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Default rules

with the responses given on how almost everybody is so law abiding, imagine what our roads would be like if you would go to jail or at least loose all your vehicles when you were caught speeding or rolling through stop signs, driving would be great! really, how is that any worse than someone firing a restricted weapon on their yard when they are allowed to shoot a highpower on their yard?

as far as range set up, when we had to register our indoor range a few years back, we had a heck of a time because the guys they sent didn't know the rules (or maybe decided to make their own) of ranges. we had to go over their heads and got the real low down, and obviously they were informed by their superiors what the deal was, they came back with good attitudes, and we managed to come to agreements and kept our range alive. there were other clubs that had the same ordeal, but most clubs that were serious kept their clubs alive. at that time we got a hold of a binder with the requirements, which may now be outdated, but it laid out what was required at that time to set up our range legally. i think some people would be suprised at what the real requirements are, but you have to have someone that is willing to take charge and get the support of the clubs members.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
with the responses given on how almost everybody is so law abiding, imagine what our roads would be like if you would go to jail or at least loose all your vehicles when you were caught speeding or rolling through stop signs, driving would be great! really, how is that any worse than someone firing a restricted weapon on their yard when they are allowed to shoot a highpower on their yard?

as far as range set up, when we had to register our indoor range a few years back, we had a heck of a time because the guys they sent didn't know the rules (or maybe decided to make their own) of ranges. we had to go over their heads and got the real low down, and obviously they were informed by their superiors what the deal was, they came back with good attitudes, and we managed to come to agreements and kept our range alive. there were other clubs that had the same ordeal, but most clubs that were serious kept their clubs alive. at that time we got a hold of a binder with the requirements, which may now be outdated, but it laid out what was required at that time to set up our range legally. i think some people would be suprised at what the real requirements are, but you have to have someone that is willing to take charge and get the support of the clubs members.
The reason is stop sign infractions and minor speeding do not fall under the criminal code...firearms offences do...I don't make the rules or laws, I just follow them.

Lefty
Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Default newb

as King Ralph said '' shoot,shovel and shut up''
Old 03-28-2011, 08:49 PM

Default following the laws

my point was that our laws, especially related to guns, are messed up. why do animals have more rights in Canada than human beings? common sense has definitely left the building in this country. if this line of thinking continues, and the public keeps letting it slide, soon you will not be able to go camping and take your hatchet along, because just last week a fellow was charged with having a hatchet and 2 bats in a standoff, which falls under "possessing weapons dangerous to the public peace". so how long will it take before someone makes these "weapons" also fall under the criminal code, and you will have to have papers to carry your registered bat to a game, because you are taking it into the public? i didn't say the laws were not to be followed, i am saying however, they are getting crazy, and if someone makes driving offences the same as firearm offences, are we suppose to just accept that too when the time comes? we already dropped the ball on the firearm legislation.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 PM

I wouldn't even try to risk it. Jeeezzzz
Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Well it is unfortunate that some people can break the laws without even knowing (cause one would assume that if you are sanctioned to enforce the laws you would also follow such laws), not giving Manitoba_Shooter a hard time BUT if his wife and her fellow members knew they were breaking the law (I am assuming they think they aren't) would they stop using their service weapons on his property? or would they justify it by saying they are honing their skills? I would love to go hone my skills safely in the coal lake coulee up against a 50 foot coulee bank (what could be a safer backstop?) but if I did and got caught I would lose my handguns and likely my license.....

Not worth it

Lefty
Old 04-01-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
BUT if his wife and her fellow members knew they were breaking the law (I am assuming they think they aren't) would they stop using their service weapons on his property? or would they justify it by saying they are honing their skills?
RCMP officers are paid to know what is legal, and to obey the laws.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 PM

how many laws do the rcmp actually know? here in Manitoba i had a heck of a time trying to get the info on properly restraining my children in my car, which had no rear shoulder belts. i phoned our local rcmp office, which said they could not help me, but told me to phone the larger rcmp office, who also told me they could not help me! they told me to call our oh so wonderful public insurance company, who finally laid out the guidelines for me. if i would have got pulled over, how many of the field officers would have known the rules? and furthermore, why can the rcmp not check into it for me and get back to me, i do believe they should have access to the laws.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Cam T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycr125 View Post
although i think handguns are very interesting i think it is pointless to own one in canada, also i have a question, do you need to call and get a ATT every single time you go to the range or do you get one att and its good for going to the range and back without the need to call every time?

violent criminals ruined the privledge to enjoy handguns for recreation outside of a range
Violent criminals have not done this! Reaction from our Government Leaders since the 1930's have created today's firearm legislation. These "tight" rules and regulations are a result of too much left wing government in this country over the past 80 years. I doubt if today's criminals give a rat's ass what any of the legislation says.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:03 PM

wholly cow what a can of worms newbie opened up, its as if some of you fellas religiously support the f-heads in ottawa on this call. there should be no problem shooting a pistol on private land, with some of your replys to this question its as if youd run to the cops and rat him out. whats more dangerous, plinking with a 9mm/45 or a 308??? the 45 or any handgun wont go 5 miles even at 45 degrees. personal responsibility is going to apply to shooting any firearm , do you think if someone shot someone by accident at 700 yards over a hill with a winchester he wouldnt get punished/jail/loss of pal. just throwing it out there i feel its fine to shoot handguns on private land. im more stressed when one of my rifle bullets dont hit paper and im not sure where it went. and its because of this bickering(such as on this thread)and smart ass remarkes as canadians that we allow f-heads in ottawa to steamroll us with more and more legislature and tax and trying to squeeze every nickel out of the working man.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
wholly cow what a can of worms newbie opened up, its as if some of you fellas religiously support the f-heads in ottawa on this call. there should be no problem shooting a pistol on private land, with some of your replys to this question its as if youd run to the cops and rat him out.
Actually my own feelings are, that a person should be legally able to shoot a handgun on any private land, or even on public land. What I hate to see is someone getting caught breaking the stupid handgun laws, and then the media and anti gun people using this to portray all firearms owners as irresponsible lawbreakers that can't be trusted.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Cam T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
wholly cow what a can of worms newbie opened up, its as if some of you fellas religiously support the f-heads in ottawa on this call. there should be no problem shooting a pistol on private land, with some of your replys to this question its as if youd run to the cops and rat him out. whats more dangerous, plinking with a 9mm/45 or a 308??? the 45 or any handgun wont go 5 miles even at 45 degrees. personal responsibility is going to apply to shooting any firearm , do you think if someone shot someone by accident at 700 yards over a hill with a winchester he wouldnt get punished/jail/loss of pal. just throwing it out there i feel its fine to shoot handguns on private land. im more stressed when one of my rifle bullets dont hit paper and im not sure where it went. and its because of this bickering(such as on this thread)and smart ass remarkes as canadians that we allow f-heads in ottawa to steamroll us with more and more legislature and tax and trying to squeeze every nickel out of the working man.
Excellent Points, I agree. Personal responsibility is the key.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Actually my own feelings are, that a person should be legally able to shoot a handgun on any private land, or even on public land. What I hate to see is someone getting caught breaking the stupid handgun laws, and then the media and anti gun people using this to portray all firearms owners as irresponsible lawbreakers that can't be trusted.
^^^^^
X2 my stand on this is similar.....

My main point is that the RCMP members who shoot on their private land should keep it to themselves....when I hear about the ones enforcing these stupid laws breaking those very laws it kind of p****es me off. I am jealous cause I would like to do the same......

Lefty
Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
X3
every time some bonehead does something stupid with a gun I cringe because I feel like it is one more nail in the coffin of LEGAL gun ownership in Canada
Stop walking the horse ahead of them if you want them to stop throwing s#!t at you.
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 PM

Default restricted.......

Few years back I was sitting in the wardens truck while he wrote me a ticket, the CO showed me a handgun that he just confiscated from two fellows that were shooting it on a cutline, asked him what the penalty is, he said it was up to the judge. Not worth breaking the laws, would be nice to carry my ruger MK11 HUNTER 22 ,for shooting grouse when I am looking for big game, not sure about this but I heard that there is a law that says you can carry a hand gun to protect your prospecting claim from claim jumpers, stake a claim , pan for gold, shoot your handgun.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer View Post
Few years back I was sitting in the wardens truck while he wrote me a ticket, the CO showed me a handgun that he just confiscated from two fellows that were shooting it on a cutline, asked him what the penalty is, he said it was up to the judge. Not worth breaking the laws, would be nice to carry my ruger MK11 HUNTER 22 ,for shooting grouse when I am looking for big game, not sure about this but I heard that there is a law that says you can carry a hand gun to protect your prospecting claim from claim jumpers, stake a claim , pan for gold, shoot your handgun.
In certain very restricted situations our masters will issue a permit for wilderness carry. It is not impossible, but nearly so. Search wilderness carry on here, my Alzheimer's seems to recall a couple threads on it.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 PM

I don't own restricted nor do I think I ever will, BUT the fellow who taught the course for my pal/rpal told the entire class that basically your not supposed to fire a restricted anywhere but a range but if you plink on your land out of sight no one is going to bother you.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba_shooter View Post

I can see where some people would look down on my post but in the end you have to see it from my view. Fresh out of depot my wife was uncomfortable with her sidearm. Through practice on our property, she has become an excellent shooter, able to outshoot most of her co-workers. In our 11 yrs we have seen co-workers come and go. The woman especially are given this pistol in depot and taught how to shoot it, but are never given the time to actually become comfortable with it. My wife was given a sidearm in depot, not right when she got there but approximately half way through. About 12 weeks training maybe 3 hours a week, sometimes not even that. Some of these woman have become better shooters at our place and have gained confidence they never had at depot.

I have enough to worry about with her on patrol. Knowing she can handle her pistol brings me some comfort.

With 4 days on and 4 days off, we just can't jump in the truck and drive to the range. She also gets called in a lot on her 4 days off. Her hours of work are very stressful on our family. She makes more money in overtime than she does on her salary every year.

NELSON HOUSE, MAN.—A Mountie stationed at a northern Manitoba detachment faces several firearms charges.

RCMP in Nelson House say Const. James Kenney was charged after an investigation into alleged inappropriate social network postings.

Kenney faces two counts of possessing a prohibited weapon, one count of unlawful possession of firearms and two counts of transporting a restricted firearm without authority.

The five-year veteran is to appear in court in Thompson, Man., on July 29.

Police say he has been transferred and placed on administrative duties pending an internal review.

They say the alleged offences were not committed on the job.

From: h ttp://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1008581--manitoba-mountie-faces-firearms-charges-after-investigation-into-internet-posts

Hmm, a cop busted for posting inappropriate things about firearms on the internet. Wasn't you was it?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-21-2011, 05:07 PM

Default Excuse my ignorance

Where in the Firearms Act does it say you can't discharge a restricted firearm on your own property?

I know that municipalities restrict whether you can or can't shoot in your own yard based on zoning and location, but in my experience most don't distinguish between non-restricted and restricted.

As far as I can see, the Firearms Act only restricts where you can transport a restricted gun to, and for what purpose. I don't see anything regarding discharging any type of gun on your own property. Please correct me if I'm missing something.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangilcon View Post
Where in the Firearms Act does it say you can't discharge a restricted firearm on your own property?

I know that municipalities restrict whether you can or can't shoot in your own yard based on zoning and location, but in my experience most don't distinguish between non-restricted and restricted.

As far as I can see, the Firearms Act only restricts where you can transport a restricted gun to, and for what purpose. I don't see anything regarding discharging any type of gun on your own property. Please correct me if I'm missing something.
aha.. now you have an interesting point. The FIREARMS ACT, and the CRIMINAL CODE are not always in agreement.

In fact it is UNLAWFUL to own firearms at all as per the Canadian Criminal Code.
The ONLY thing that stops you from being taken in chains is your firearms license which, for all intents and purposes it a TEMPORARY exemption from that law.