Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 PM

Default Penalties with Restricted

Just wondering what kind of penalties would a person face for firing off some targets at a family members ranch with a restricted firearm? Is it just a fine. Anyone know anyone personally that has faced fines or jail time for doing this? Or are they pretty lax with these laws as long as its safe and not in the commission of a crime
Old 03-18-2011, 10:42 PM

Why don't you try it out and let us know so we have first hand knowledge of the fines and jail time you get. It is against the law to do it why would you even ask such a stupid question. Go to a range or don't shoot. Those are your options.

Get real

Joe
Old 03-18-2011, 10:44 PM

I would be concerned that my PAL would be revoked, and I would not be allowed to possess firearms.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:45 PM

Permitted Purposes For Owning A Restricted Firearm
There are a few purposes for which you can be licensed to acquire and/or possess a restricted firearm, the most common being target practice or target shooting competitions, or as part of a collection.

In limited circumstances, restricted firearms are also allowed for use in connection with your lawful profession or occupation, or to protect life.

Exception: If you have a firearm that is registered to you as a relic under the former legislation, you may continue to possess it for that purpose. However, you cannot pass that designation on to the next owner. The next owner can acquire the firearm only for one of the purposes referred to above.

As set out in the Firearms Act, a relic firearm is one that is of value as a curiosity or rarity, or that is valued as a memento, remembrance or souvenir.

Top of PageCriteria For Each Purpose
Depending on which purpose you select, there are some specific criteria you have to meet, as follows.

Target Shooting Practice and Competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, you must provide proof that you practice or compete at an approved shooting club or range.

For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact your provincial CFO by calling 1 800 731-4000.

Collectors of Restricted Firearms

To be authorized to have restricted firearms as part of a collection, you must:

•Know the historical, technical or scientific features of such firearms in your collection
•Consent to occasional inspections of the place where your collection is stored
•Comply with regulations dealing with safe storage, record-keeping and other matters related to restricted firearms
Employment Purposes and Protection of Life

In limited circumstances, an individual may be authorized to possess and/or acquire a restricted firearm for employment purposes or for protection of a life.

Authorizations To Transport
You require an Authorization to Transport (ATT) from a provincial CFO in order to transport a restricted firearm from one location to another. There is no fee for an ATT.

To be eligible for an ATT you must have a valid firearms licence authorizing you to possess restricted firearms.

You can apply for an ATT by calling 1 800 731-4000 or by submitting form CAFC 679.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2011 View Post
Just wondering what kind of penalties would a person face for firing off some targets at a family members ranch with a restricted firearm? Is it just a fine. Anyone know anyone personally that has faced fines or jail time for doing this? Or are they pretty lax with these laws as long as its safe and not in the commission of a crime
^^^^^^^
Just like saying....

Just wondering what kind of penalties would a person face for firing up some methamphetamine at a family members ranch with a glass pipe? Is it just a fine. Anyone know anyone personally that has faced fines or jail time for doing this? Or are they pretty lax with these laws as long as its safe and not in the commission of a crime.

Illegal is illegal......
Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 PM

Now since it is a crimial code offence you would loose your RPAL for sure and there goes your firearms. Wait, the minimum sentence is 5 years in prison and the judge has no discretion on minimum sentence even if you are a nice guy shooting in a safe manner on a private ranch

The Darwin awards exist for a reason!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:32 PM

You know there are two sad things about this
1. You would probably do less time for selling meth to kids
2. That we have laws in our country that are that rediculous, seriously what would you rather have your neighbor shooting in the back 40, a 243 or a 9mm.
I would love to legally be able to do both(243 and 9mm)
Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 AM

I see people feel strongly about this. It was just a question. Understood. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Banned

although i think handguns are very interesting i think it is pointless to own one in canada, also i have a question, do you need to call and get a ATT every single time you go to the range or do you get one att and its good for going to the range and back without the need to call every time?

violent criminals ruined the privledge to enjoy handguns for recreation outside of a range
Old 03-19-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycr125 View Post
although i think handguns are very interesting i think it is pointless to own one in canada, also i have a question, do you need to call and get a ATT every single time you go to the range or do you get one att and its good for going to the range and back without the need to call every time?

violent criminals ruined the privledge to enjoy handguns for recreation outside of a range
and it's good for 4 years.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 03-19-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Now since it is a crimial code offence you would loose your RPAL for sure and there goes your firearms. Wait, the minimum sentence is 5 years in prison and the judge has no discretion on minimum sentence even if you are a nice guy shooting in a safe manner on a private ranch

The Darwin awards exist for a reason!
Correct.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWD 800 View Post
Why don't you try it out and let us know so we have first hand knowledge of the fines and jail time you get. It is against the law to do it why would you even ask such a stupid question. Go to a range or don't shoot. Those are your options.

Get real

Joe
Can you access a computer from prison?

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 AM

Given the responses to the original poster, here's the real question:
If, in the past, I may have alledgedly fired a restricted firearm on my property (not saying it happens, mind you), should I report myself? I mean, seeing that such actions, if they occurred, are comparable to crystal meth use and sales, I must be a pretty bad man (if I did indeed, commit the alledged firearm offence).
The correct answer to the original poster's question is: If you do, don't tell any of these guys about it. They'll see you strung up like an oldtime horse thief!
Violent criminals are not the ones who ruined the privelege of recreational handgun use. Politicians and their supporters did that.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycr125 View Post

Your ATT covers all your restricted hand guns and you can take your guns to the range or a gunsmith whenever you like without notifying the gov't. I think there was something about being more or less on a fairly straight line to your destination, ie if stopped in the forrestry you would have some explaining to do.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
Can you access a computer from prison?
Probably these days with all the sympathy for criminals.

Yes we were a bit harsh but if you have a restricted licence then you have taken the course and you know the rules. Discussing doing something illegal on a public forum is not a good idea BTW
Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 AM

We need to work to change the laws. Bashing a newb does not help further the cause of restoring freedoms.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-19-2011, 08:57 AM

Buy a prescribed antique. You can shoot them on your own land. Yes they will be expensive, and you need to be a proficient handloader, but this is a lot cheaper than legal fees.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Bashing a newb does not help further the cause of restoring freedoms.
Neither does coming on the forum to ask about penalties for violating the regulations. The original post suggests that the person may already be thinking about violating the laws, which just gives the anti gun crowd more ammunition to use to brand all gun owners as irresponsible and untrustworthy.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Neither does coming on the forum to ask about penalties for violating the regulations. The original post suggests that the person may already be thinking about violating the laws, which just gives the anti gun crowd more ammunition to use to brand all gun owners as irresponsible and untrustworthy.
And the thread about making moonshine with a few references to growing bud (which I assume is marijuana) is up to 2 pages and going strong. Thinking about doing something is in no way illegal. The person is looking for info and has received it. He could have gone to the CFC website and looked it up himself, would have saved a lot of grief from the hand wringers on here.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Gone Hunting

An interesting question, it would be nice to hear a real answer to rather that all the conjecture on here.

Transporting the firearm from your place where you can legally have it to the "family members ranch" would be the biggest "danger".

Once there I reckon you could shoot it without anyone knowing you were shooting a restricted weapon. And so you would not have to worry about being discovered.

Then transporting it home would be the scary part again.

Suppose you contacted the provincial CFS dude and asked for a permit to transport it to "the ranch" where one of your relatives was interested in buying the gun from you. Then asked if it was ok for them to fire a few rounds to see if they liked it and wanted to buy it. Then the permit would be good to transport it home again.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Then asked if it was ok for them to fire a few rounds to see if they liked it and wanted to buy it.
What would you say if the CFO asked where they were going to shoot those rounds?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:06 PM

I will not take an opinion on these threads, as i think ones of this nature are garbage and take away from the forum experience, but I have to say this.

"And the thread about making moonshine with a few references to growing bud (which I assume is marijuana) is up to 2 pages and going strong. Thinking about doing something is in no way illegal. The person is looking for info and has received it. He could have gone to the CFC website and looked it up himself, would have saved a lot of grief from the hand wringers on here."

So thinking about murdering someone is in no way illegal? Police may think differently! There are two elements of an offence to make it a crime: the Mens Rea (guilty mind [intent]) and Actus Reus (Guilty Act). There are some Criminal offences that do not require both elements.

-Jeff
Old 03-19-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
An interesting question, it would be nice to hear a real answer to rather that all the conjecture on here.
Transporting the firearm from your place where you can legally have it to the "family members ranch" would be the biggest "danger".

Once there I reckon you could shoot it without anyone knowing you were shooting a restricted weapon. And so you would not have to worry about being discovered.

Then transporting it home would be the scary part again.

Suppose you contacted the provincial CFS dude and asked for a permit to transport it to "the ranch" where one of your relatives was interested in buying the gun from you. Then asked if it was ok for them to fire a few rounds to see if they liked it and wanted to buy it. Then the permit would be good to transport it home again.

Pretty sure "CFS dude" would tell him to get bent and forget it. Pretty lame advice really.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs36 View Post
[/B]

Pretty sure "CFS dude" would tell him to get bent and forget it. Pretty lame advice really.

Oh! Well if you are "pretty sure" then thats different.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Oh! Well if you are "pretty sure" then thats different.
It is quite logical to assume that the CFO wouldn't condone someone doing something illegal, such as discharging a restricted weapon where it isn't legal to do so.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
I will not take an opinion on these threads, as i think ones of this nature are garbage and take away from the forum experience, but I have to say this.

"And the thread about making moonshine with a few references to growing bud (which I assume is marijuana) is up to 2 pages and going strong. Thinking about doing something is in no way illegal. The person is looking for info and has received it. He could have gone to the CFC website and looked it up himself, would have saved a lot of grief from the hand wringers on here."

So thinking about murdering someone is in no way illegal? Police may think differently! There are two elements of an offence to make it a crime: the Mens Rea (guilty mind [intent]) and Actus Reus (Guilty Act). There are some Criminal offences that do not require both elements.

-Jeff
Awesome, we now have the thought police. Just how in the name of all douchebaggery can you tell what a person is thinking?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Awesome, we now have the thought police. Just how in the name of all douchebaggery can you tell what a person is thinking?
Name call all you want, but tell me this. Conspiracy to commit murder. crime, or not a crime?

They have 1st and 2nd degree murder for a reason. The difference being the amount of planning, or the THOUGHT behind it.

Last edited by fallen1817; 03-19-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Left out information
Old 03-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Banned

Welcome to the wonderful world of gun control in Kanada.

Where do the criminals test fire their weapons?
Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM

Over the course of my life, I may have given solemn thought to murdering a few people. In all cases, I may have thought they had it coming. My question is this; should I call up and turn myself in? That is, if I really thought about the act. What kind of sentence might I expect? If I didn't discuss my plans with anyone, is it still conspiracy? The phrase which keeps intruding upon my thoughts, legal or otherwise, is, "What a load of crap!" Leeper
Old 03-19-2011, 05:17 PM

Many gray areas within the law, and I am by no means a professional, just expressing my point of view and my thoughts on the subject. Sure, my example wasn't the most concrete. The Mens Rea I mentioned is intent. Did you intend to do something? There are few excuses that will get you off the hook, such as intoxication, duress, necessity, etc. I guess the confusion within my post was that thinking about something may not be illegal, but having intention on following through on the act is illegal. Again, I may not have provided the best examples, but there's no need to call names; we're all adults discussing our thoughts.

-Jeff