Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-27-2021, 06:33 PM

All any “hunter” needs is a leupold VXII 3-9x40. If your a “game shooter” you’ll need more magnification, so I’ve been told…
Old 09-27-2021, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
All any “hunter” needs is a leupold VXII 3-9x40. If your a “game shooter” you’ll need more magnification, so I’ve been told…
Let me know how that vxII does peering into the shadows at dusk
Old 09-27-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
?? that one went over my head. What's a game shooter ?
Old 09-27-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
To save the suspense I can tell you right now
Old 09-27-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
They work well, in fact too well. HUNTING for deer has gotten boring with a scope…it’s too easy. My add-ons now include the manufacturers Williams, Marbles, and Lyman. Placed on the receiver of 100 year old rifles a hunting I do go. Everybody's gotten all caught up with outdoing Milo Hanson…at all costs..
Old 09-27-2021, 08:27 PM

I had no issues with a 3-9x40 Leupold over the last 35 yrs. Then I looked at a Conquest 3-9x40, then a Z3-1-4x24 and then a Zeiss V6 1-6x24, and next a Swaro 2.5-10x42 against a VX3 2.5-10x42, Swaro won. The Zeiss V6 is a good way above the Z3 1-4 again, for low light, and it was the best till I got the Zeiss. As they say, low light, keep the magnification down, they aren't kidding.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:43 PM

Iron sights and century old rifles, obviously that's the only *true* way to hunt.

Seems like every year we need to be reminded that there is only one true way to do things, and it is usually a century old.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-27-2021, 08:54 PM

Unfortunately, age and vision interfere with that thought for a whole pile of people. Mclaughlin just came out with a really nice tang mtd peep to replace the Ruger #1 safety with. That won't be a go for me these days.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Iron sights and century old rifles, obviously that's the only *true* way to hunt.

Seems like every year we need to be reminded that there is only one true way to do things, and it is usually a century old.
Has a deers ability to evade “shooters” with the latest high tech gear enhanced in, say, the last century? Nope. Why challenge one’s self when you can make it easy eh. I’ve gotta run and ground pound some grouse…
Old 09-27-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Unfortunately, age and vision interfere with that thought for a whole pile of people. Mclaughlin just came out with a really nice tang mtd peep to replace the Ruger #1 safety with. That won't be a go for me these days.
I just had a new lens implant sep 22. I will then be getting a partial cornea transplant when that becomes available. That’s in my left weak eye. Im 52. If November is free of surgeries I’ll be using a peep. If not then it will need to be a low recoil rifle with a high magnification scope . That’ll be a 2-7x32mm…just like hunters successfully used in the 70’s successfully till 30 minutes after sunset. Unbelievable eh!!!
Old 09-27-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Has a deers ability to evade “shooters” with the latest high tech gear enhanced in, say, the last century? Nope. Why challenge one’s self when you can make it easy eh. I’ve gotta run and ground pound some grouse…
Go get 'em Obi Wan, may the force be with you.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-27-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I just had a new lens implant sep 22. I will then be getting a partial cornea transplant when that becomes available. That’s in my left weak eye. Im 52. If November is free of surgeries I’ll be using a peep. If not then it will need to be a low recoil rifle with a high magnification scope . That’ll be a 2-7x32mm…just like hunters successfully used in the 70’s successfully till 30 minutes after sunset. Unbelievable eh!!!
Ahem, ummm, ahhhh, good luck on your health & your hunt!
Old 09-27-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

I prefer to hunt on all 4s like a cheetah with a knife between my teeth and nothing on but a loin cloth. No one ever hunts behind me its great. Only true hunters chase their game like they are a werewolf.

Oh an to the op euro glass and I have a pariatiality to nightforce

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 09-27-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:

You were cheating if you had a variable power scope in the early 70's. 4x Bushnells were all the rage.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
I prefer to hunt on all 4s like a cheetah with a knife between my teeth and nothing on but a loin cloth. No one ever hunts behind me its great. Only true hunters chase their game like they are a werewolf.

If I saw that I'd probably shoot you and have you stuffed for posterity. I'd tell curious folks I shot a cheetah in a loin cloth with a knife in its mouth.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You were cheating if you had a variable power scope in the early 70's. 4x Bushnells were all the rage.
He is cheating now too. The only true way to hunt they banned a few years ago. Spear. Are those spitting tubes with poisoned darts legal? I’d be rocking that.

Challenge has nothing to do with the gun you are caring, Prewar. Kind of weird that you have been hunting for so long and still didn’t realize that.

OP, like marky_mark said, you would likely be happy with anything in that price range. To my eye, Zeiss and Leica are the best at low light (perhaps, any light?). They are both on the heavy end of scopes though (especially Leica). I have never looked through a Meopta, but read a lot of what the poster who mentioned it suggested. Would be interesting to look at one.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
They work well, in fact too well. HUNTING for deer has gotten boring with a scope…it’s too easy. My add-ons now include the manufacturers Williams, Marbles, and Lyman. Placed on the receiver of 100 year old rifles a hunting I do go. Everybody's gotten all caught up with outdoing Milo Hanson…at all costs..
If all you are after are trophy does then you are likely correct.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2021, 01:19 AM

Your looking for something for your eyes ST, A 3x15x42 or 50 zeiss hd5 has a great twightlight factor for early morning and last light.I find a twight light factor to be good in the 42 lens and the 50 gives around 25 or so.

Zeiss has great class in the hd5 or victory series, you can pick up a very good zeiss hd5 for 1000 to 1200 used either way you can use it for 5 years and resell for a grand. Buying new is nice, but zeiss has a great warrantee .

For a 30 06 it is more then good ,out to 400 yards that hd5 at low light works with around a 21 twightlight factor which is pretty darn good with zeiss glass ,higher is better,but better can fool you into shooting to early or late depending on how clear it is out that night or morning ,so 21 is a good place to be.

Never had a zeiss scope fog up,maybe just lucky. i try and never leave my opitics in my truck past 10 below, there god ,but nothing is full proof and i mean nothing.

My victory bino's have a 31 factor, hell i can see stuff at 200 yards i can't even see at 10 yards with the naked eye. LIECA has some very good glass,i had a 2 sets and a scope ,but haven't looked in any in 7 years,so?? The ultra voids are as good as any zeiss.

Maven i hear has good bino's, i never here much about there scopes???? These maybe on my try out list next fall.

I avoid all the tree reticles and go with a plex SFP because at first light all that crap screws my eyes up, great an hour later.

ffp at first light kinda covers up your animal and i find i can't pin piont my exact POI in those first 30 minutes or last 30 minutes. Plus your dept perception can play tricks with our older eyes at first light and yes younger eyes to. Lotsa great glass for nice clear bright days,but many are crap when your into the last 15 minutes of shooting.

That's just my choice i would sight in 2 or 3 inch high with the plex at 100 and your good to go.

Many older guys never upgrade there optics ,yet many of them have lost 30 percent or more of there vision putting strain on your eyes can really bugger up a hunt., so it is good you posted this thread.

ALL THE BEST IN YOUR SEARH.
JD

Last edited by JD848; 09-28-2021 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Try shooting the old ones not the ones with spots
The level of difficulty will increase
Old 09-28-2021, 05:25 AM
Gone Hunting

All my 30-06 have Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scopes. Shooting the same load of
150 gr Barnes TTSX. 3" high at 100 yards. ( I've paid from 400 for used to 500 for new for those scopes )
Multiple Deer, Elk and Moose were taken with those guns. Longest shot 428
yards on Mule Deer, with a one-foot holdover.
I did use Leica Rangefinder to measure this distance.

For longer-range shooting, I use 300 Win Mag, Rangefinder, and Swarovski 3.5-18 x 44 Plex BT scope. The longest shot was 500 yards on WT Doe. This setup is capable of 700 yards shot in proper conditions but I am not at the moment... so 500y is my self-imposed limit.
I paid 1649 + Tax for this scope and it would be on my 30-06 if this would be my only gun.
If 2000$ would be my limit for optics I would buy Leica Rangefinder and Swarovski or Zeiss scope with Plex reticle.
Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 09-28-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If all you are after are trophy does then you are likely correct.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Yep, trophy does. Here’s my 2020 trophy doe…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7155BC5B-04FF-4F00-B98A-A71D70D82ADE.jpg (31.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-28-2021, 10:29 AM

How about quitting the pizzing match and snide comments guys and simply answer Sitting Bull's question?
Cat
Old 09-28-2021, 10:45 AM

^^^this
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-28-2021, 10:53 AM

I have to admit that the on-demand contrast of an illuminated reticle is a nice thing to have.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:54 AM

I use Leopold scopes and have never had an issue with one yet. Vx1 vx2 vx3 and a mark4.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:46 AM

I think the brands you suggested are the right ones, I have, after many years of trial and error have settled on Leupold, Zeiss and Swaro glass.

I like the light gathering of a large ~50mm objective lens but it does require higher mounts which, on some rifles, sets my cheek up too high to comfortably (or naturally) get a clean sight picture and shoot - so that's a consideration.

And unless you are playing the early light or dusk game or reaching out past 500yds - most of the 40-42mm objectives, with a intermediate variable power will be perfect for you (3-9 or 4-12 or even 3-15) but you really won't use (or need) any more magnification as is countering the light gathering you gain on lower powers.

That's my 2 cents.

As a rule of thumb, I tend to spend good money on glass and think it's worth every penny for what you get.

Crisp and clean, a nice (wider and less finicky) range of eye relief and better colors and light transmission of the better glass is very clear to see to me.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Yep, trophy does. Here’s my 2020 trophy doe…
Nice year and a half buck. Not big, but likely good eating.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:23 PM

Lens coatings means as much as lens size, as far as light transmission is concerned , a 40-44mm lens with good coatings works fine during legal Alberta hunting hours.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:34 PM

Today I stopped at Cabela's and had a look at Leupold X5i, Zeiss V4, Swaro Z3 and Steiner Predator 4. All of them were very nice, but I must say that the Steiner impressed me. Now we all know that the store is not the best place to assess a scope but at least I got to look at them. I will go back at dusk to look again.
Now I really am undecided on a couple things. Being a 30-06, do I need and will it be an advantage for me to have either a dial up the range turret like a CDS or the hash marks already on the glass. When I looked at the darker fur animals on the wall at the store I thought the hash marks got lost so If I was wanting the 3rd hash mark on the vitals I really had a hard time seeing it. What would that mean at last light?
Is point blank range with a plain flex be a better and easier way to go? 98% of my hunting is done on farm land up north for elk and deer. Shots can be 100 to max 500 yards. And I have never shot anything past 370 yards but obviously have seen them further than that.
I want to make the right choice so I am not in a hurry to buy. I will be selling My Ruger No1A in 30-06 to fund this scope.

Thanks for all the help and comments.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:48 PM

Personally, for those ranges, I think a turret is just going to be one more complexity to deal with in a hunting situation. A simple plex at point blank will work for most things, knowing your drop (tape a card on your stock if you need) will get you on fur. A ballistic reticle is nice, but your point about it disappearing on dark animals is also true. An illuminated reticle certainly can help there, I know I've passed low light shots because I couldn't see reticle on a dark critter in the tree line with the sun setting behind it.

My friend has a Trigicon scope with a red dot (Firefly?) That really works well. I think it is a good scope (though not Euro glass good) that hasn't been mentioned, you may want to look at. Something like this;

https://www.rdsc.ca/optics-mounts/tr...cle-green.html

And yes, the Steiner Predator is a nice scope for sure. I'm sure you will find what you are after and love your decision.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 09-28-2021 at 04:58 PM.