Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-26-2021, 09:57 AM

Default First high end optics help please

Good day all, I have always used lower cost optics on my rifles, leupold Fixed power, Nikon Pro staff, Burris. I have been selling things off in order to afford a high end scope. At 60 I am having difficulty in early morning and last light.
I am down to 2 rifles that I just cant seem to part with. I finally own a Ruger No 1A in 30-06 that is a tack driver and My first left hand rifle a Ruger M77 MK11 in 30-06.
I like the 30-06 cartridge so no new rifles.
What do you guys who have experience with high end optics have to say.
Which direction should I go.
My budget limit is $2000.00 or less if possible.
Leopold, Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, etc...
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:08 AM

My favorite scope for hunting, is my Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44, it's light, very clear lenses, and great light transmission. And a 42mm scope can be mounted fairly low, which enables a proper cheek position on the stock.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:09 AM

Meopta r1 3-12x56 is probably the best value low light option if it works for you for high end but the dealer network is very limited in Canada.

There’s also some great 1.5-6x42 type options.

For low light you want a bigger front lense relative to the magnification.

With lower magnifications though you don’t need too big of a lense though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My favorite scope for hunting, is my Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44, it's light, very clear lenses, and great light transmission.
Got the same scope on my .300wm and love it. tracks perfectly, keeps zero, just what you would expect for premium glass.

my buddy is running a Leupold Mark 5hd and that has been a great scope as well from what I have seen.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:07 AM

Everyone has their favorites but it's pretty hard to beat the Euro's for glass. I've owned Swaro and Zeiss and my preference is Zeiss by a fair margin. Both are excellent low light performers and will take a beating. Leupold uses nice glass on their high ends as well but not quite in the same league as the previously mentioned outside of warranty. They can't be beat in that area.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
My favorite scope for hunting, is my Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44, it's light, very clear lenses, and great light transmission. And a 42mm scope can be mounted fairly low, which enables a proper cheek position on the stock.
And if your budget is a little tighter...
https://www.precisionoptics.net/product_p/59016.htm
Old 09-26-2021, 11:13 AM

I'd also be looking at the Euro glass. Everyone has their favorites (I have a Kahles and a Leica scope on a couple rifles), Zeiss, Swarovsky and Steiner all make excellent glass. Low light is where they all seem to stand out compared to lesser optics. My Leica Geovids are also amazing in low light.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-26-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
And if your budget is a little tighter...
https://www.precisionoptics.net/product_p/59016.htm

Available inventory is the problem with higher end glass now unfortunately. Been that way for a year or longer with shutdowns in the supply chain.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:26 AM

Thanks guys. So far I am looking at everything you guys are suggesting one by one on the net and youtube. I am not in a hurry as I want to make the right choice.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:36 AM

Leupold VX5 HD 2-10 or VX6 HD 2-12. Great FOV, enough magnification for hunting. you can get it illuminated if you want. Alumi lense caps are great.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:38 AM

You could check out Steiner if you like. I have a GS3 4 x 20 x 50 on one rifle and the glass is very good.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:00 PM

Have a look thru a Sightron S III while you're at it.
Old 09-26-2021, 02:26 PM

Leupold VX5 HD is what I’d be buying. 3-15x44
Old 09-26-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Leupold VX5 HD is what I’d be buying. 3-15x44
I have been looking at this one closely, how dependable is the CDS system. Are there issues with tracking?
Old 09-26-2021, 02:48 PM
Banned

I prefer the ZEISS v4 over the leupold vx5 hd
Sold the leupold and the ZEISS is on my go to rifle
Old 09-26-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I have been looking at this one closely, how dependable is the CDS system. Are there issues with tracking?
I’ve got quite a few Leupold CDS scopes. Never had an issue with any. What I do after I have a load developed is, I will shoot 10 rounds over the chrony at temperatures that I will be hunting in, take the average velocity, altitude, b.c and send the data to Korth. Every Turret they have cut for me has been bang on out to 700 yards.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:08 PM

If your looking at the 3-15 Check out the zeiss v4 and the 315 Razor LHT from vortex

I’m shooting the razor lht right now. I think it’s got a great reticle, glass and razors do seem to be reliable over the lesser vortex scopes.

Most of these scopes are 40,42, or 44mm which is all purpose.

The 50-56mm scopes are for high magnification and low light hunting.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:13 PM
Banned

To be 100% honest
Anything from 1500-2000 you will be happy with
All of them can get custom turrets burnt now
From Kenton industries or Korth or corlanes

Best thing about the leupold to me is the button on the elevation turret
I think the glass is better on the ZEISS and the turrets are more solid
Swarovski z5 is the lightest but has the least elevation range

I wouldn’t buy a vortex
Old 09-26-2021, 09:02 PM

Should mention. If you haven’t. An illumination reticle option goes a long way!

Old 09-27-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Swarovski z5 is the lightest but has the least elevation range.
That goes for windage adjustment also, which can be an issue if you use non-windage adjustable mounts like Talley’s. I have 2 high magnification Swarovski scopes that even with the windage adjusted all the way cannot get on centre using fixed mounts. And ya, it isn’t the rifle because I’ve had the same issue on several rifles.

IMHO, go Leupold. As good a glass as you’ll need and a great warranty that they stick behind.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
That goes for windage adjustment also, which can be an issue if you use non-windage adjustable mounts like Talley’s. I have 2 high magnification Swarovski scopes that even with the windage adjusted all the way cannot get on centre using fixed mounts. And ya, it isn’t the rifle because I’ve had the same issue on several rifles.

IMHO, go Leupold. As good a glass as you’ll need and a great warranty that they stick behind.
And yet I use Talley mounts, and have plenty of windage, on the seven rifles I have had the Swarovski scopes on.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:14 AM

I really like my Zeiss HD5 2-10. It’s only downside to me is the weight. A bit porky, especially when I was a pretty hardcore Leupold guy. Look through as many as you can. I’d say you can eliminate some based on features or weight. If you want light, Swaro or Leupy, I’m not a fan of turrets or adjustable parallax on a hunting scope, but you maybe. I like the Rapid Z 600 reticle, vs other bdc reticle as it’s actually numbered and heavy enough for hunting conditions. I don’t find it too busy but again that’s personal taste. They show up used in the 7-800 range. New maybe a grand, or a bit more.

Last edited by Homesteader; 09-27-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:26 AM

Funny, My first left-handed rifle was the exact same rifle, a long time ago for sure. As another hunter in my early 60's (sneaks up on you) I also appreciate quality glass that makes up for any shortcomings age has put on me. For top value, as others have said, it is truly hard to beat Meopta MeoStar glass. MeoStar glass is known for its low-light performance and will not disappoint. Stepping up to top-tier glass from what you have been using will be a big eye-opener and put a smile on your face. The MeoStar R2 2-12x50 RD comes in right in the middle of your price range. Being a BDC reticle fan for hunting you can dial it in using Strelok Pro to get distances for the BDC aim points. Nothing like European-quality glass from a quality European manufacturer.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:53 AM

Where can I find Meopta? No one in Alberta sells them. I don’t want to buy on line without seeing and handling a scope.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:54 AM

Smile

My first question is just what do you use for a maximum range.
With the 3006, If you do not shoot past 400 Meters, you do not need exposed turrets ,or even a variable scope .
A good quality fixed 4x or 6x zeroed at 250 meters and a good range finder will do you just fine fir 90% of your hunting conditions .
However I am not sure how many fixed scopes of good quality are available these days, it seems a lot easier to get a 3-9 or 4-12 or even higher magnification.
Sightron is building quality scopes, and Leupold, as well as others .
This is only my opinion,however, I have taken more than a few deer with lower powdered cartridge past 300 with a 4X and 6X scopes with absolutely no issues.
Cat
Old 09-27-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Where can I find Meopta? No one in Alberta sells them. I don’t want to buy on line without seeing and handling a scope.
That I understand and sadly, I can't seem to find any retailers in Alberta who sell Meopta, surely there has to be some? I did find some others located in Canada and I would suggest a phone call telling them that you want to handle the optic before deciding and see if they will send you one and if you don't like it, you just send it back? I think that might be the best option for you. Amazing that there are no retailers that I can find given the amazing hunting you all have up there.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Meopta dealer

Quote:
As far as I know Bushcraft Canada from British Columbia would be best bet for looking into Meopta Optics. Would be worth phone call about products, appears to have a very good supply of inventory in stock. Pay attention to tube size for possible new mounts also required. As a Leupold fan I would suggest the VX-3HD-4.5-14X50mm as an option.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
And yet I use Talley mounts, and have plenty of windage, on the seven rifles I have had the Swarovski scopes on.
I’m happy for you.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:52 PM

Ben using Zeiss for about 30 years I have the conquest on a couple rifles right now
Old 09-27-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Ben using Zeiss for about 30 years I have the conquest on a couple rifles right now

Great scopes.