Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-04-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
But it does make me wonder who the clowns were that drafted up this list.
With a lot of people working from home these days (including Government workers), I'm guessing there is a lot of day-drinking going on...

(Best explanation I could think of)
Old 05-04-2020, 11:53 AM

There was nothing hasty about this OIC.
They have had more than 2 years to draft it.
It is more than good enough as a political starter, since they can fine tune regulations at any time.
The Liberals are setting up for an election that they think will give them a majority. This is a fundamental plank.
The Conservative Party couldn't win an election with the Liberals on the ropes with scandals.
Nothing has changed in the Conservative's favour for a majority.
In case you haven't noticed, this ban is popular.
Changing national perception of this ban before the next election will be very difficult.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
It is more than good enough as a political starter, since they can fine tune regulations at any time.
The Liberals are setting up for an election that they think will give them a majority. This is a fundamental plank.
The Conservative Party couldn't win an election with the Liberals on the ropes with scandals.
Changing national perception of this ban before the next election will be very difficult.
The ban is not as popular as many people believe. Polls were conducted using very carefully selected locations, to ensure that they got the results that they wanted. One poll that I saw was conducted in nine large cities, and even then, they only had the majority of support in four of those.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That’s utterly daft to suggest. The conservatives would have won the last election has it not been for the Gerrymandering and inequity in our voting system. The huge discrepancy in population per MP between provinces alone should render the election results null & void
Old 05-04-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The ban is not as popular as many people believe. Polls were conducted using very carefully selected locations, to ensure that they got the results that they wanted. One poll that I saw was conducted in nine large cities, and even then, they only had the majority of support in four of those.
And that’s after a misinformation campaign using our own money. Imagine the results if the Liberals didn’t spread intentional lies!
Old 05-04-2020, 02:08 PM

The Conservatives lost the last election because they could not significantly win seats in Ontario and Quebec, which by their size, are pivotal.
They fielded a lame leader, unclear or weak policies and alienated swing voters. They lost.
The Liberals think they have a winning strategy here.
They probably do.
Unless the Conservatives can mobilize resources they have not shown for a while, we are going to be ruled by the Liberals heavy hand.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
Maccabee SLR isn’t on there but boy oh boy imagine being caught out shooting legally with the few that slip through the cracks. What a headache that would be.
If it's not on the list (but probably should be) you would be fine to use it until it is added to the list would you not? Legally speaking.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
The Conservatives lost the last election because they could not significantly win seats in Ontario and Quebec, which by their size, are pivotal.
They fielded a lame leader, unclear or weak policies and alienated swing voters. They lost.
The Liberals think they have a winning strategy here.
They probably do.
Unless the Conservatives can mobilize resources they have not shown for a while, we are going to be ruled by the Liberals heavy hand.
I might quibble a little here or there, but you’re not wrong. The swing voter problem was a big one.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:08 PM

Quebec was a problem as it has been for 100 yrs. But the election loss was signed sealed and delivered by Ontario folks because they were ****ed off at Ford at that time and campaigned heavily against all conservatives
Old 05-05-2020, 05:31 AM

In part, the election was delivered to the Liberals by getting out their vote in the GTA ridings where they had the upper hand.
Doug Ford wisely stayed out of the Federal election because he saw that his input would be a liability to the Conservatives.
Andrew Scheer, as leader, did not make a significant dent in the Liberals support.
The Conservative Party failed to capitalize on the long list of Liberal scandals which should have been to their advantage. They spent more time playing to their base of supporters than trying to win over undecided voters, whom they desperately needed.
There are two components to winning an election - putting forward people and policies that appeal widely to the electorate, and getting out the vote.
The Liberals fielded the better election team.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:19 AM

It has just been pointed out to me, that if your 12 gauge has removable chokes, when you remove the choke, the bore is large enough to make the shotgun a banned firearm.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:23 AM

Yup time to wake up...if you haven’t already, 10 and 12 gauge firearms exceed the 20mm bore diameter listed under the ban.

https://www.csaaa.org/blair-bans-12-...Txyet6lrWXetHs

LC
Old 05-05-2020, 11:11 AM

Not that I don’t think this govt is completely looney, but I don’t think those shotgun diameters are on the ban. I think we need to be careful what info we spread or we will be rejected by people we need the support of to get anywhere on this. 10 ga bore is .780 inch isn’t it? So if the whole tube is under the 20mm (.787”) rule except for where the choke tube goes, I don’t think they would use the larger diameter. Think of a musket haha.
Not that I anticipate any common sense from the govt but we need the support of non gun owners to understand what is wrong with this ban. There are enough facts and reasons with this that we do not need to step into frantic spreading of info that later gets “fact checked” (hate that phrase) and then the whole thing dismissed because of an apathetic population writing us off as crazy gun people.

While they are at it, they should make murder, drinking and driving, and texting while driving illegal in order to stop it from happening.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:23 PM

am I right to assume the SKS is not on the list? Whats the reasoning here ? Not accurate enough? lol
Old 05-06-2020, 08:26 PM

I suspect that means that most double trigger double rifles are now illegal too. Anything over 5000J per cartridge if you can pull both at the same time.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellSwoop View Post
I suspect that means that most double trigger double rifles are now illegal too. Anything over 5000J per cartridge if you can pull both at the same time.
In reality no , because the 10,000 juels is measured and gauged for a single bullet not two .
Cat
Old 05-06-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
In reality no , because the 10,000 juels is measured and gauged for a single bullet not two .
Cat
You are correct, it states "projectile energy"
Old 05-06-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Cat
Still a question remains for actions that are capable of 10kJ with a swap to .460 weatherby.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
Still a question remains for actions that are capable of 10kJ with a swap to .460 weatherby.
That is a complete desperate issue for sure and an important one .
Perfect example is the RPA Quadlock- a single shot bolt action 308 designed for Palma iron sighted or F/TR scope sighted matches .
This rifle is now a prohib because it is said it is available in .50 BMG which it is not . The action that RPA builds for the .50 is the RPA50 which is enormous compared to the Quadlock
Cat
Old 05-06-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
That is a complete desperate issue for sure and an important one .
Perfect example is the RPA Quadlock- a single shot bolt action 308 designed for Palma iron sighted or F/TR scope sighted matches .
This rifle is now a prohib because it is said it is available in .50 BMG which it is not . The action that RPA builds for the .50 is the RPA50 which is enormous compared to the Quadlock
Cat
The issue is that the example you illustrated and many others including a Weatherby Mark 5 in .460 Wby mag were never ever considered to be military assault weapons.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:18 PM

is time for Alberta to play the not withstanding card on this issue.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athabasca1 View Post
The issue is that the example you illustrated and many others including a Weatherby Mark 5 in .460 Wby mag were never ever considered to be military assault weapons.
Nope you are absolutely correct !
In fact no rifle in .50 BMG that I know of can be considered portable like a standard shoulder fired , select fire assault weapon for that matter
Cat
Old 05-08-2020, 03:53 PM
Banned

Wow all the good gun are banned.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
am I right to assume the SKS is not on the list? Whats the reasoning here ? Not accurate enough? lol
Too many used by aboriginals, and too many just out there. Plus no hi profile shootem ups with them either.

But wait, the hand wringers aren’t done yet...........

There are no absolutes
Old 05-08-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Too many used by aboriginals, and too many just out there. Plus no hi profile shootem ups with them either.

Yep, they've taken credit for banning military assault weapons in 1979, 1995, and 2020. Why would they stop there?
Old 05-08-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
is time for Alberta to play the not withstanding card on this issue.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The clause allows the provinces to take away your charter rights, not the federal government's legislative scope. Firearms are federally legislated so anything the province does has to fit with 'ultra vires'.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:07 PM

No high profile shootups?

Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod?

It's yet another piece of liberal hypocrisy on the subject.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 05-09-2020, 07:37 PM

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2020, 06:57 AM

Here is a list of cartridges which exceed 10,000 joules.

Cartridge name Muzzle Energy (Joules)

.50 BMG 15,000

.510 DTC 14,870

.500 TLD 15,000

.460 Steyr 15,000

.416 TYR 10,500

.416 Barrett 14,250

.408 Cheyenne Tactical 10,500

.375 Cheyenne Tactical 10,000

.700 H&H Nitro Express 14,325

.600 Nitro Express 10,323

.460 Weatherby Magnum 10,605

4 Bore rifle* 10,500 Also prohibited due to bore diameter in excess of 20mm.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Exactly, the firearms owners that do support the bans may change their opinion down the road as the list grows, and all semi autos and pump actions are banned. But by that time, t will be too late to stop the nonsense.