Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Me too. This thread is pointless
Reverse the story.
Would you come on here after a landowner made a post about trespassers threatening him and tell him to fly a kite?
Old 11-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I have pretty much avoided these threads. There is no point, because land owners are all jerks right? oh yeah, and here comes the 3 dozen PM's looking for permission too.

So yeah, I've had my fill of this too.
I am sorry you have had this happen to you, but it's still no excuse for a guy to wig out like that on me, especially since I was being polite to him and trying to lend an ear to his complaints. I have had hunters try and intimidate me into leaving an area (Crown land out west) because they wanted to hunt it, and they were about ready to turn on a***ole mode on me until they noticed I was actually with someone (my husband up in his tree stand with his rifle, watching the goings on down below him.)

1: Why did you read this if you said you avoided these threads?
2: At what point did I say that all owners are jerks?
3: You actually get 36 messages in your PM folder asking permissions?

How could they possibly even know where you live unless it's all people you know...? I don't get it.

We always phone at a decent time to talk to landowners, and if we see them we stop and introduce ourselves with a Hunter courtesy card. We also go to these same farmers for permission to look for sheds, then take the ones we found over to him to show him what his tractor tire won't have to worry about anymore. If a place has a no trespassing sign in the driveway, we don't go there, ever.

I had simply asked if anyone has run into farmers getting agro with them when they were on land that you had permission on. I have never encountered this anywhere else but in Alberta, my home province.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:49 PM

I have to agree with immigrant as a landowner we have to deal with anyone who calls or trespasses,they only have to deal with us if theyb want
Old 11-23-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbug View Post
I have to agree with immigrant as a landowner we have to deal with anyone who calls or trespasses,they only have to deal with us if theyb want
The hunters usually DO NOT WANT to deal with landowners but HAVE TO, in order to obtain permission to hunt , will be more precise.

S12
Old 11-23-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
BTW, this is one of the things that I make in appreciation for granting permission. Its a bit tricky to make, but I make them by hand. Gotta make a pile for xmas treats too

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/pictu...ictureid=10881
Treats like that you can hunt on my property anytime you want. Not sure if you are gonna be too successful on my property as I live in town and my lot is only 75’x120’. But if you make one of those treats for the kids I’m sure you could use their playhouse for a ground blind.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
Treats like that you can hunt on my property anytime you want. Not sure if you are gonna be too successful on my property as I live in town and my lot is only 75’x120’. But if you make one of those treats for the kids I’m sure you could use their playhouse for a ground blind.
Hahaha gimme a PM and when I get them all made I'll get some to you
Old 11-24-2019, 09:34 AM

I only had trouble once, an outfitter declared himself the sheriff of all the lands because he had paid the landowners son for land permission. Drove into our spread and lost his mind. Things changed quickly when the farmers grandson stood up beside me from the blind and explained who he was.
The same outfitter was set up years ago at Marwayne where I was helping a friend combine. I was a couple hundred yards away in my trailer watching them knock down geese, and 1 gun in particular just fired and fired and fired, no plug.
G&W got there very quickly, he didnt even have time to put the plug in his gun.
I dont remember the name, it was Mcm.... something

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-24-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post

1: Why did you read this if you said you avoided these threads?
2: At what point did I say that all owners are jerks?
3: You actually get 36 messages in your PM folder asking permissions?

How could they possibly even know where you live unless it's all people you know...? I don't get it.
I was not responding to you specifically, did not quote anything you said, nor referred to anything said your posts, although all the questions here you ask me seem quite condescending, combative and defensive to me and I have no idea why you would feel my response was directed toward you or anyone specific for that matter.

I read these threads, out of interested, but when I said I avoid them, I meant I avoid posting anything in them. Do you want to know why? because people end up provoking and demonizing landowners or posting condescending questions - kinda like you did to me right there.

Thank you for making my point.

Last edited by EZM; 11-24-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
We have 2 quarters of wooded property west of Grand Valley Road (314). The amount of hunters trying to find access into the area bordering our property is staggering. Hey why not cut through here, better yet, heck why not set up and hunt here ......despite the signs, fences etc...

I have had to pull trespassers out of the mud where they tried to cross over the creek, and this AFTER, of course denying they were the ones who cut the gate lock to get in there and trespass, despite the fact there were no other tracks.

I have been yelled at, threatened and told to get off my own land at least 10 times over the last 15 years, and have had tree stands, camp sites, even a camper on my land as well as dozen of instances where the gate was cut.

I've even had people tell me "I have to grant them access to the property behind mine" (despite the fact the road in is not an allowance or access road). Had guys call RAP and the RCMP, and been tied up on the phone and/or waiting for them on 2 occasions to clear this up too.

So we installed a big gate and some big posts, now they cut the lock or chain.

I have pretty much avoided these threads. There is no point, because land owners are all jerks right? oh yeah, and here comes the 3 dozen PM's looking for permission too.

X2 i usually stay away from posting as well. have been hunting and farming all my life. We own 8 quarters in wmu 503 and I can honestly say I’m at the point where I hate November. My daily routine is fixing gates and cut fences. Phone starts ringing on Friday am and does not stop till sunday evening have lost 2 cows this year since nov 1st. It was never like this years ago I’m talking in the 90s. And we used to give people permission once we where done hunting all of our neighbours are in the same boat and I don’t blame them one bit. Only a few more days of this and the dust will settle. Looking forward to being able to go outside not dressed in orange.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:58 PM

so we had the psycho farmer story last year and the psycho neighbor story this year as well as the farmer son spraying gravel at you and the hunter confronting you on crown land and trying to bully you off of it and you getting a little quick and defensive on this thread with a landowner just making a statement from another perspective.
You of course were being very polite and respectful in all of these instances except the one we all just witnessed.
You seem to run into an awful lot of really angry people, except maybe the one we just witnessed you attack on here. He really wasn't making it about you at all until you made it about him.
It's curious one person/couple would have that many people really angry with them with no provocation at all. It appears you are just really really unlucky and keep running into the worst that Alberta has to offer.
Here's hoping next year brings a better experience.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
so we had the psycho farmer story last year and the psycho neighbor story this year as well as the farmer son spraying gravel at you and the hunter confronting you on crown land and trying to bully you off of it and you getting a little quick and defensive on this thread with a landowner just making a statement from another perspective.
You of course were being very polite and respectful in all of these instances except the one we all just witnessed.
You seem to run into an awful lot of really angry people, except maybe the one we just witnessed you attack on here. He really wasn't making it about you at all until you made it about him.
It's curious one person/couple would have that many people really angry with them with no provocation at all. It appears you are just really really unlucky and keep running into the worst that Alberta has to offer.
Here's hoping next year brings a better experience.
***CLINK****

That was the sound of hammer firmly striking nail.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:21 PM

I struggle to get my head around some peoples attitude. They somehow think they are entitled to use something they have contributed no time, money or effort to. They knock on the door, pretend they have known me for years, all buddy buddy, and then when I break the bad news to them they turn hostile and abusive.
Its the same as if I drive through town on a nice summers day, and see a $90,000 wake setter boat parked in a driveway. And I decide I want to go boating today. So I stop, knock on the door and tell the owner I want to use his boat for the week. Do you think he will say “sure, stranger, take her for a rip.....” Hell no! Why would he let a complete stranger use his property, that he bought, maintained and insured for him and his family’s enjoyment. I wouldn’t even ask my best friend to use his boat. How could I possibly believe I can enjoy the fruits of his labor.

My land is no different than his boat/ camper/ snowmobile etc.

With rural crime increasing daily, access to private land is going to get a lot less and a lot more difficult to obtain. Land owners/ neighbours assume a stranger is guilty until proven innocent. If a strange truck slowly comes down my driveway I assume he is there to steal gas. If he cups his hands to look through my garage door window and he tells me “ oh, i thought this was your front door, by the way, can I get permission to...” I will assume he wants to steal my quad.

Times are changing. As the economy fades, crime will increase. And rural property are soft targets because of poor police response times and less people to observe. Rural property owners are getting nervous.
It sucks, because there are 99% good people and the 1% ruined it for everyone.

Last edited by Immigrant; 11-24-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I hate November. Phone calls at 6 am or 11pm from strangers looking for permission. Text messages from friends of friends of friends. Strangers driving in to my yard. Not sure if they are coming to steal my quad, my truck, scoping out my shop or coming to asking permission. Finding dead cows, cut fences and busted gates. Heck, I even got yelled at on my own property by guys who allegedly had permission from the “land owner”.
It goes both ways. Did I mention I hate November.....
Did you say you had another couple permission to hunt spots available for late in the season? I’d sign up.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:51 AM
Banned

I’m wondering if a lot of it doesn’t come down to perspective. I have permission to hunt and trap with a lot of landowners. I’ve been challenged by concerned neighbours, friends and relatives on many occasions. I’ve also challenged others. That’s just the way that things work around here......people look out for each other. I suppose that being ex-Military the authoritative way that I talk in those situations may be perceived as aggressive but i’d Never call it violent. Verbally violent......is that a thing?

Things always get sorted out with no hard feelings and a mutual understanding that’s just the way things are.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow flyman View Post
Yes, especially when deer hunting. November brings the worst out of people in the field.

And this Happens no matter where you go.
Just as bad in the US.
its like rutting for human's season.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Well, as usual a simple post I made goes south as with so many other people that post simple stuff,and it just goes outta control. I was talking about whether anyone has had this happen to them. We have never broken a law, ALWAYS been courteous and kind, and I guess its alright with some people about a guy who threatens a woman sitting in a car by saying if it was his land he would put an effin bullet in my car. It wasnt even his land, he just drove over. He was angry with our farmer and took it out on us. So many angry people in this province. I have also run into aggressive hunters and poachers but thats another thread. I have had guys roll up on me in the summertime on a public road because I slowed down and was taking pics of a doe reflected in a sunset. I still have it if anyone wants to see it, beautiful picture. Seriously...this has never happened anywhere else Ive ever been, and I've been across this country. I hate poachers, love the F&W, we know them and really appreciate their work, yet none of that matters I guess.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
We have 2 quarters of wooded property west of Grand Valley Road (314). The amount of hunters trying to find access into the area bordering our property is staggering. Hey why not cut through here, better yet, heck why not set up and hunt here ......despite the signs, fences etc...

I have had to pull trespassers out of the mud where they tried to cross over the creek, and this AFTER, of course denying they were the ones who cut the gate lock to get in there and trespass, despite the fact there were no other tracks.

I have been yelled at, threatened and told to get off my own land at least 10 times over the last 15 years, and have had tree stands, camp sites, even a camper on my land as well as dozen of instances where the gate was cut.

I've even had people tell me "I have to grant them access to the property behind mine" (despite the fact the road in is not an allowance or access road). Had guys call RAP and the RCMP, and been tied up on the phone and/or waiting for them on 2 occasions to clear this up too.

So we installed a big gate and some big posts, now they cut the lock or chain.

Reading this and other land owners stories is crazy. My gen was taught respect private land, go ask first. No one I ever knew then or know now would cut a fence, lock or break open a gate to go into what was known private land. There are some messed up entitled people out there that would destroy property just to get down a farm trail or onto someones land. How in the world do these people brains work.

I would love to own a bush quarter somewhere. These stories make me think twice.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:08 AM

I own 3 quarters of land and hunt lots of permission pieces myself.

Ive been on both sides of the coin.

A usual civil conversation sorts it out.

Had a landowner (if 1.5 acres is considered land?) tear a strip off me this past september. Was waiting for us at the truck we parked on a county road. From there we used a clearly marked road allowance to access endless crown land. We walked our behinds off and upon getting back to the truck were met with aggressive attacks of how we trespass, shoot from trucks, cut gates etc etc etc.

I couldnt help but laugh at the vein popping out of this guys forehead.

He didnt like that and then the threats came. 150lb guy in his 60's calmed down when my non confrontational buddy emerged from the other side of the truck in all his camo clad 350lb glory lol

Its bad out there. I get it im a landowner who also hunts. My land is posted clearly and locked up tight. I hunt it. My family hunts it and a few friends hunt it. I paid for it, i keep it up and i pay the taxes. I will decide who accesses it and when. Dont like it. go buy some of your own and hunt it as much as you want.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:32 AM

The point I do not get us why start a thread to bash the very people you depend on for land access. From what I see and hear a lot of farmers have every right to be angry and protective of THEIR land. Times have changed. I have had my share of run ins with trespassers and upset land owners, crap happens. To me it wasn't justification to bash anyone on a public forum over it. If you will start a thread like this every season I might suggest hunting crown land and stop painting land owners with one brush.
Violence is not words...

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-27-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
The point I do not get us why start a thread to bash the very people you depend on for land access. From what I see and hear a lot of farmers have every right to be angry and protective of THEIR land. Times have changed. I have had my share of run ins with trespassers and upset land owners, crap happens. To me it wasn't justification to bash anyone on a public forum over it. If you will start a thread like this every season I might suggest hunting crown land and stop painting land owners with one brush.
Violence is not words...
1: I was simply asking if anyone had ever had a farmer threaten them when they were on someone else's land. Not bashing. Maybe I should have just said "a guy"

2: I wasn't talking bad about all farmers, just one guy that has something wrong with him to do that.

3: It goes both ways. Hunters can be animals too, read the whole thread

4: My point was that people use violence unnecessarily. I could see it if I was threatening the guy but I wasn't at all and my poor husband is wondering if he's gotta protect us or not. I hunt crown all the time, but hubs has only started showing me the ropes of hunting farm land and what to do and not do. He knows a ton of good farmers that are awesome.

5: It wasn't this farmers land that he threatened us on, it was the farmers that we had permission on. If he would have been normal, he would have talked to us, we would gladly talk to him and identify ourselves along with passing our card off to him like we do with everyone that rolls up asking. No problem!

6: I wasn't doing anything illegal, and never have even though some people have insinuated this to me unfortunately. My hubs has hunted for 55 years in Alberta, as a guide also. He has never broke laws. Period. He is my teacher, trying to teach me the right and proper ways of things.

7: I had commented on the affairs of both hunters and farmers if you had bothered to read the whole thing. I do empathize with both sides and I have stated that, but of course you did not read the whole thread like some people should.

When I replied to that guy, I said I was sorry he felt that way, yet he never answered any of my questions. Then other guys pack up...that's when a thread goes downhill. I really did want to know about him getting 30 PM's a day. Was it on here or thru his cell phone? Is it because a bunch of people know him on here and he has a beautiful place? It really did confuse me.

Now because I said this, someone else will come back with another insult.

This happens all the time. It's even worse when people talk about grazing leases (oooooo) and the stuff that goes on with that, with everyone losing their minds and fingers pointing.

Sighhhhh....

I read all the responses, and I already get the landowner thing ok? It is interesting to say the least about the stories. Unfortunately threads derail and I hope the moderator closes this one.
Old 11-27-2019, 12:22 PM

Oh I bothered to read the WHOLE thread and thus my comment.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-27-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I hate November. Phone calls at 6 am or 11pm from strangers looking for permission. Text messages from friends of friends of friends. Strangers driving in to my yard. Not sure if they are coming to steal my quad, my truck, scoping out my shop or coming to asking permission. Finding dead cows, cut fences and busted gates. Heck, I even got yelled at on my own property by guys who allegedly had permission from the “land owner”.
It goes both ways. Did I mention I hate November.....
X2
I am supprised how many landowners let people hunt on their land. Most have stories of guys taking advantage and screwing things up. It would be easier to say no. Be nice to landowners.
Brad
Old 11-28-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Reading this and other land owners stories is crazy. My gen was taught respect private land, go ask first. No one I ever knew then or know now would cut a fence, lock or break open a gate to go into what was known private land. There are some messed up entitled people out there that would destroy property just to get down a farm trail or onto someones land. How in the world do these people brains work.

I would love to own a bush quarter somewhere. These stories make me think twice.
Yup the cut fences and locked gates still happens. It happened a couple time during elk season this year!
Old 11-28-2019, 08:39 AM

………. and now the shooting of the Pot Bellied pig. This is a prime example of why farmers no longer want anyone on their land - myself included!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:52 AM

I have run into this a few days ago.
I have sole permission on 3 quarters of land.
I hunt with the owners son most of the time(we have been friends for years)
One of the quarters, the lease road to access it runs on the far east side of the quarter. The neighbour who owns the quarter to the east freaked out on me.
He said he hunts a blind that overlooks the west edge of his property, and we are hunting his land, to this I nicely put it to him, I have never hunted his land, and only hunt the land I am on, he yells at me saying the deer in the field I am hunting come off his land,so I am hunting his land, and I ruin his hunting, and tells me that he is going to put a flag on his blind, and when it is up, I cannot hunt the land that I have permission on!(just owning a adjacent piece of land doesn't make you the land owner of both)
I just laughed, and replied, that I will be hunting on and off all season, and wished him luck in his hunting endeavors.