Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
I hate November. Phone calls at 6 am or 11pm from strangers looking for permission. Text messages from friends of friends of friends. Strangers driving in to my yard. Not sure if they are coming to steal my quad, my truck, scoping out my shop or coming to asking permission. Finding dead cows, cut fences and busted gates. Heck, I even got yelled at on my own property by guys who allegedly had permission from the “land owner”.
It goes both ways. Did I mention I hate November.....
I hear ya. Got back from tomahawk around 10am to find a guy in a truck parked on my fence line with gun out the window. Well I said to my lab lucy we need to test the scope and we'll that rock died in its tracks and buddy moved on. Like get a life dude
Old 11-22-2019, 10:33 PM

Had farmers who has known me all my life, my brother and my 96 year old grandfather, mad at us because we were driving down the road heading to a different area. He owns the land on both sides but doesnt own the municipal road. He does have NH signs.

One other hunter playing deputy dog while talking to the land owner on cell. I think on the RM road too.

Another freak out that we were hunting and his kids were playing at home. No idea where his house was and were in the wide open prairie. Myself and grampa about 27 years ago. We werent on his land.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:41 PM

Sure am glad most of the land around where I work and hunt is public! I have a few land owners that allow limited access and they always call me to report someone driving the county road through their property or to say a herd of elk is making their way towards their land wanting me to drop whatever I am doing and drive through. Very frustrating as yes we have road hunters and people who hunt without permission but just because someone is driving the county road does not automatically mean they are going to gun something off your land. Like wise just because a herd of elk are heading your way doesn’t automatically mean anyone in the area needs to be stopped and talked reminded where they are. The world is full of idiots!!!
Old 11-22-2019, 11:25 PM

The 4 landowners I currently have permission from are awesome. Never a cross word, very friendly and like to see me out there to keep an eye on their property as 2 of them are elderly. I have however encountered relatives of landowners in the past that I had permission from who get quite aggressive when they run into you on the property. They go hard knock right away accusing me of trespassing and the standard "who the F are you?" Once I explain who I am and that I in fact have permission and offer to call the landowner on my phone they usually back down and all of a sudden become very polite.

I think some of the aggression from actual landowners may stem from being fed up with trespassers, garbage dumpers, people who shoot too close to occupied buildings, people who drive in wet fields, people who leave gut piles out in plain view by the side of the road and people who don't possess "permission asking etiquette" and show up mid November, when it's dark, ball hat and hoodie on wearing sunglasses and packing lip dinner and using their yard as a spittoon when they ask if they can get on without even shaking their hand first.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:33 AM

I was not on his land. He has a major issue with the farmer who granted me permission. Here I am, female, and he's threatened to put a bullet in my car. Wasn't even hunting, I was looking out over a valley at a lease site on my farmers property. If I see him again will videotape him and press charges. There is something wrong with a man who rolls up to a very friendly gal like myself, then proceeds to query me, finds out I have permission, then assaults me with bad language and saying that if he owned the land he would shoot me. The farmer's wife is pretty spooked about him as she has two small kids that have to wait for a schoolbus while he's erected a threatening sign right in front of the farmer's driveway. I seriosly think there is something wrong with him. Needless to say, I won't be hunting in that area anymore with that nutcase around, I have lots of other permissions. I wasn't mean to him at all as I don't want him scaring the hell outta the wife of the property owner.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:58 AM

And all this happens right after I finished visiting the elderly farmer in the area with some home made grub...
Old 11-23-2019, 05:58 AM

That sucks that happened to you. But there is a lot of "hunters" that are nutcases too. Some people just seem to glaze over when they get a rifle in their hands. A few bad apples ruin it for everyone. I grew up in 336, I've seen fences cut, guys shooting off the road, horses being shot... and the list goes on. I honestly don't blame landowners for being protectionist

I'm not condoning what happened to you, but it seems that November just brings out the worst in people

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2019, 07:12 AM

I’ve had landowners buddies try to intimidate me at the end of a evening and put a phone in my face asking who I am and “you can’t be here”. I had permission. I asked him who he was? “Never mind who I am, your trespassing and if I see you again you will be charged” I tried to explain I had permission but wasn’t having any of it. Found out later from the locals that this guy has a history of running people of land he knows big bucks hang out so he can hunt them himself. Bully. This was early in my hunting years and didn’t know all the ins and outs
Old 11-23-2019, 08:12 AM

I’ve met lots of good landowners and farmers. Met lots of meathead hunters.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:35 AM

I’ve had lots of hunters try and kick me off my own land. I then ask them if they know who owns this property? When they mention my name , I tell who I am lol
Old 11-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Define threaten....just asking because nowadays there seems to be a lot of soft people that don't like to be asked questions with regards to what they are doing.

Farmers just looking after each other as in good neighbours is a good thing.

When approached or asked I have all my ducks in order give a few names then off I go.....no issues.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-23-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I’ve met lots of good landowners and farmers. Met lots of meathead hunters.
Me too. This thread is pointless
Old 11-23-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
I was not on his land. He has a major issue with the farmer who granted me permission. Here I am, female, and he's threatened to put a bullet in my car. Wasn't even hunting, I was looking out over a valley at a lease site on my farmers property. If I see him again will videotape him and press charges. There is something wrong with a man who rolls up to a very friendly gal like myself, then proceeds to query me, finds out I have permission, then assaults me with bad language and saying that if he owned the land he would shoot me. The farmer's wife is pretty spooked about him as she has two small kids that have to wait for a schoolbus while he's erected a threatening sign right in front of the farmer's driveway. I seriosly think there is something wrong with him. Needless to say, I won't be hunting in that area anymore with that nutcase around, I have lots of other permissions. I wasn't mean to him at all as I don't want him scaring the hell outta the wife of the property owner.

If this is the case call the cops and let them investigate this threat....it will send a message right away to him.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:01 AM

A few years ago ,my son in law and me were glassing his grampas field ,when we drove out this guy is waveing us down on the road ,all ****ed off is yelling at us he has exclusive rights to that field ,then my son in law tells him who he is and now its a different story ,turns out he is a big outfitter in that area I know who he is, was told to take a hike
Old 11-23-2019, 09:12 AM

If I had the amount of problems some have hear on AO I would probably quit hunting because it sounds like way too much drama to be enjoyable
Old 11-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
And all this happens right after I finished visiting the elderly farmer in the area with some home made grub...
In 2018 it was the psycho farmer thread... Really makes me wonder what you and hubby are doing out there to cause all this drama?
Old 11-23-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
If this is the case call the cops and let them investigate this threat....it will send a message right away to him.
I would love too and seriously I thought about it, but decided against it since he was so focused on freaking out. As soon as I told him who gave us permission, its like he lost his mind. I thought about the farm wife and the kids, and decided against it for now because I dont want him going over there to harass her. Looks like the hubs works outta town and shes there with the kids
Old 11-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
In 2018 it was the psycho farmer thread... Really makes me wonder what you and hubby are doing out there to cause all this drama?
No kidding!!! Here we are just doing our thing and everyone is on the alert or hates this guy that did this to so and so. I was ask8ng my hubs about how long things have been like this, and he said ever since the oil, and the drugs right after. He said when he was a young man everyone was good with everyone. He used to guide too and grew up around here. I noticed the change and feel as soo as I came home 12 years ago, lots of riff raff now with no respect, bad guys that make us law abiders look bad and farmers so agro that its mind blowing. I mean cmon, I'm an old lady that has to use walking sticks. Such a shame things are like this now. Did get a chance to meet the local wildlife officer here though, I sure like seeing them around and shooting the breeze with them
Old 11-23-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I would love too and seriously I thought about it, but decided against it since he was so focused on freaking out. As soon as I told him who gave us permission, its like he lost his mind. I thought about the farm wife and the kids, and decided against it for now because I dont want him going over there to harass her. Looks like the hubs works outta town and shes there with the kids
Then he wins and like I mentioned if this is the case then he will continue this trend with no consequences. It has to stop somewhere.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:23 AM

Every other farmer around has been awesome and they will all be getting a jar of saskatoon jelly!
Old 11-23-2019, 10:25 AM

Maybe we attract bad vibes because my 62 year old hubs looks like a rough guy, who knows...
Old 11-23-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Then he wins and like I mentioned if this is the case then he will continue this trend with no consequences. It has to stop somewhere.
I agree, but I think my farmer is already having legal issues with him as it is. I don't want to make things worse for them because this guy is someone looking to fight with him, anyone. Mental issues can go south pretty quick.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:40 AM

Like another guy said earlier, makes a person go back to crown land
Old 11-23-2019, 10:51 AM

Walking across a field that I had permission on ( from the owner) then had the owners son see me from the road about 300 yrds away. Stopped, started honking his horn, then got out and started screaming f bombs at me. Weird situation.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:11 AM

This hunting season I ran into a Hutterite gentleman on a public road. He blocked passage on the road with his truck, so I got out and talked with him. He accused us of trespassing, cutting fences, etc. I politely told him that we were doing none of those things, and were driving back from the crownland down the road. Five minutes later the man had apologized and given us access to the thousands of acres of colony land in the area.
This is obviously a best case scenario, but sometimes polite interaction with landowners has a happy ending. This guy had a right to be upset, as there were cut fences and damaged property visible from the road.....it turns out that all humans can be dicks, not just landowners.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortex View Post
This hunting season I ran into a Hutterite gentleman on a public road. He blocked passage on the road with his truck, so I got out and talked with him. He accused us of trespassing, cutting fences, etc. I politely told him that we were doing none of those things, and were driving back from the crownland down the road. Five minutes later the man had apologized and given us access to the thousands of acres of colony land in the area.
This is obviously a best case scenario, but sometimes polite interaction with landowners has a happy ending. This guy had a right to be upset, as there were cut fences and damaged property visible from the road.....it turns out that all humans can be dicks, not just landowners.
We always make a point to always be kind, even when people are being aggressive. We had a similar situation in Grand Prairie. Farmers son did not realize we had gained permission from his parents and sprayed rocks at us, then returned and apologized,we think its because he phoned them up and realized we were telling the truth. He was like many land owners tired with the crime and people disrespecting land. He patched things up with us, and we dropped in to say hi to his parents this year to drop treats off and got access again this past October. We believe in fostering good relationships. I like to make little gifts for letting us onto properties and you can bet we also watch for nefarious people for the landowners.

Then we run across guys that are over the top.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:12 PM

When deer hunting locally here we hunt all private land, we know the farmers, always send them a text the day before just to let them know we are headed out the next morning, if by chance we are going out in a pick up that they are not familiar with we shoot them a text with a pic of the truck so they know it's us if they see it.

We have never had a problem, in fact this year we pushed bush and helped two of those farmers sons take animals, the farmers that let us hunt always get a nice package of jerky, sausage, and probably a bottle at X-mass just our way of saying thanks.

But I hear horror stories from a lot of them about guys that just drive out onto their fields without asking, leave gates open, drive across swaths, so yes I can see why farmers get ****ed at slob hunters that think it's their right to go wherever they want.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
When deer hunting locally here we hunt all private land, we know the farmers, always send them a text the day before just to let them know we are headed out the next morning, if by chance we are going out in a pick up that they are not familiar with we shoot them a text with a pic of the truck so they know it's us if they see it.

We have never had a problem, in fact this year we pushed bush and helped two of those farmers sons take animals, the farmers that let us hunt always get a nice package of jerky, sausage, and probably a bottle at X-mass just our way of saying thanks.

But I hear horror stories from a lot of them about guys that just drive out onto their fields without asking, leave gates open, drive across swaths, so yes I can see why farmers get ****ed at slob hunters that think it's their right to go wherever they want.
Yes, but sometimes you can do all the right things and still run into guys like this. We did have permission, but he came over on property that was not his to see who we were. We told him who gave us permission, then he loses his mind, starts cussing about said farmer, tells me that if it was his land he would put a bullet in my car.

First of all, I wouldnt trespass on land, second, I would have requested permission, so what he said wasnt making sense at all. My husband said he was just looking to fight with someone, and we didn't give it to him. As soon as I said to him "Dude! you just said that you would shoot at me?". Then he says F U, rolls up his window and drives back to his place across the road.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:34 PM

BTW, this is one of the things that I make in appreciation for granting permission. Its a bit tricky to make, but I make them by hand. Gotta make a pile for xmas treats too

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/pictu...ictureid=10881
Old 11-23-2019, 02:48 PM

We have 2 quarters of wooded property west of Grand Valley Road (314). The amount of hunters trying to find access into the area bordering our property is staggering. Hey why not cut through here, better yet, heck why not set up and hunt here ......despite the signs, fences etc...

I have had to pull trespassers out of the mud where they tried to cross over the creek, and this AFTER, of course denying they were the ones who cut the gate lock to get in there and trespass, despite the fact there were no other tracks.

I have been yelled at, threatened and told to get off my own land at least 10 times over the last 15 years, and have had tree stands, camp sites, even a camper on my land as well as dozen of instances where the gate was cut.

I've even had people tell me "I have to grant them access to the property behind mine" (despite the fact the road in is not an allowance or access road). Had guys call RAP and the RCMP, and been tied up on the phone and/or waiting for them on 2 occasions to clear this up too.

So we installed a big gate and some big posts, now they cut the lock or chain.

I have pretty much avoided these threads. There is no point, because land owners are all jerks right? oh yeah, and here comes the 3 dozen PM's looking for permission too.

So yeah, I've had my fill of this too.

Last edited by EZM; 11-23-2019 at 02:56 PM.