Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Banned

Default Insurance companies and Antique wood or coal stoves

Some of you know, i've been doing alot of research into old foundries, cast iron cookware and antique stoves and such. Been posed the question of using these old stoves, but I can't find a definitive answer.

Can these old stoves be certified for use in homes today? If so what is required by the insurance companies? Or is it based on individual insurance companies? Can they be WETT (?) certified or do they need changes and upgrades?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:11 PM

Each insurance company has its own ideas as to what it covers and what their rules will be. This applies on most things that I have seen since being in the business. Seems like what they do is mostly based on losses and they adjust rates accordingly or if the losses are too much just don't sell it anymore. There is one company quit selling personal insurance period in the province because we have too many claims so their returns are too low.
Suggest to call a good broker and they will know or will be able to find the best for you especially when you know there are many companies clamping down on wood stoves. Just sayin.....and no I am not an agent just what I hear around the insurance office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Some of you know, i've been doing alot of research into old foundries, cast iron cookware and antique stoves and such. Been posed the question of using these old stoves, but I can't find a definitive answer.

Can these old stoves be certified for use in homes today? If so what is required by the insurance companies? Or is it based on individual insurance companies? Can they be WETT (?) certified or do they need changes and upgrades?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:11 PM

I'd assume each company will have their own specific requirements, probably best to contact them directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Banned

I tried to put insurance on my father's house through my insurance broker in Calgary while we still lived there. They wouldn't touch it because of the coal/wood stove he kept in the back porch to heat the kitchen and to boil his potatoes.

I tried then to go through my SGI broker in town now that we live here. They won't touch it without 6 certificates of compliance from various stakeholders. Same thing goes for any fireplace with an insert other than brick which requires only one inspection.

Policies are declared null and void if you have a pellet heater or wood-burner in the garage or shed. Even if you are making a claim on a detached house.

There are only two insurance companies in Sask. A crown owned corporation and a private insurer for house/building insurance only so we may be more restricted. That said, there are ways to be compliant with their demands if you can afford it. I'm betting they're all the same.

Free (and non-compliant)
Old 10-17-2017, 06:52 PM

We had one in our old house before. Insurance required an inspection of the stove. And we needed to be within 14 km of a firehall.