Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-11-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
no you certainly can not.

but if you had all the machinery and you could tune your loads wouldn't that be swell?
That would defeat the purpose for me owning a 22lr. I own a 22lr for much cheaper shooting at ranges up to 100 yards, and I wouldn't bother loading rimfire ammunition even if the tooling and components were readily available.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:50 AM

Have seen a few singleshots such as Martini's, Low Wall 1885's, Stevens 44's and Rook rifles that were lined and restored, or rebarrelled and done up. The only reason to do it, is the "cool factor" of the old guns, or using a really nice receiver that showed up from somewhere. Not cheap endeavour though.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Have seen a few singleshots such as Martini's, Low Wall 1885's, Stevens 44's and Rook rifles that were lined and restored, or rebarrelled and done up. The only reason to do it, is the "cool factor" of the old guns, or using a really nice receiver that showed up from somewhere. Not cheap endeavour though.
I a had Ballard at one time that had an Anschutz match rifle barrel on it, very nice gun.
Traded it for a custom made Bedford County style flinter.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-11-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I wouldn't bother loading rimfire ammunition even if the tooling and components were readily available.
i don't believe you. why wouldn't you?

i think about commercially loading 22lr all the time and i think about the possibility to slip my own load in for a run if i wanted to.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i don't believe you. why wouldn't you?

i think about commercially loading 22lr all the time and i think about the possibility to slip my own load in for a run if i wanted to.
Already answered, in the very post that you quoted.

Quote:
That would defeat the purpose for me owning a 22lr. I own a 22lr for much cheaper shooting at ranges up to 100 yards,
Think about it, you would have to purchase new primed cases each time, and by the time that you paid for the primed cases, bullets and powder, the cost would be more than what it cost me to buy loaded ammunition. As well,given the level of accuracy that my rifles already produce, there would be no advantage for what I use the 22lr for.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Think about it, you would have to purchase new primed cases each time, and by the time that you paid for the primed cases, bullets and powder, the cost would be more than what it cost me to buy loaded ammunition. As well,given the level of accuracy that my rifles already produce, there would be no advantage for what I use the 22lr for.
ahhhh you and i have a different ideas on how it should be produced. i think to even have a snowballs chance at being semi profitable you would need to start from raw materials and make everything yourself (except maybe powder). then if you were an established producer making your own special batch wouldn't be all too much trouble. but we didn't come here to discuss a business model for producing 22lr that's for another thread i think.

what if you could load a little custom monometal in there? it might expand your definition of what you use a 22lr for.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
ahhhh you and i have a different ideas on how it should be produced. i think to even have a snowballs chance at being semi profitable you would need to start from raw materials and make everything yourself (except maybe powder). then if you were an established producer making your own special batch wouldn't be all too much trouble. but we didn't come here to discuss a business model for producing 22lr that's for another thread i think.
The cost to produce your own cases, and prime them for a rimfire ignition system would be way beyond reason for personal use.

Quote:
what if you could load a little custom monometal in there? it might expand your definition of what you use a 22lr for.
Did you ever wonder why nobody markets a jacketed bullet load for the 22lr?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Did you ever wonder why nobody markets a jacketed bullet load for the 22lr?
nope why would i want one?
Old 02-11-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
nope why would i want one?
So if you have no use for a jacketed 22lr load, why would you even consider a monometal 22lr load? I know that I certainly wouldn't.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
So if you have no use for a jacketed 22lr load, why would you even consider a monometal 22lr load? I know that I certainly wouldn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tijc...nnel=wwbehrouz
Old 02-11-2016, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't have the patience to reload 22's

http://22lrreloader.com/video/

Learn how to reload your own ammo using the 22LR Reloader Kit. From start to finish, you’ll learn how to prepare and pack the primer, cast the slug, measure the powder, and crimp the casing.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I wouldn't have the patience to reload 22's

http://22lrreloader.com/video/

Learn how to reload your own ammo using the 22LR Reloader Kit. From start to finish, you’ll learn how to prepare and pack the primer, cast the slug, measure the powder, and crimp the casing.
The question is, using those techniques, will you be able to surpass the performance of factory match 22lr ammunition? I very much doubt it.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
The question is, using those techniques, will you be able to surpass the performance of factory match 22lr ammunition? I very much doubt it.
the kit is cheap enough that it couldn't hurt to try
Old 02-11-2016, 01:25 PM

Between Cooper, Anschutz, Ultra Light Arms, Walther, and the Russian built rifles in bolt action and Volquerston in semis their doesn't seem to be much of a NEED to build a custom 22 to get an accurate shooting Rimfire.

That said I don't see anything at all wrong with building one if you want to. I took a right hand 54:18 MS-R and built a whole new left hand stock for it just to have another really accurate gopher gun. Half the fun in shooting is building stuff not everyone else has and I truly love shooting gophers. I cannot imagine another kind of shooting where I could have gone through anywhere near as much ammo as I have shooting gophers.

There are custom actions, custom barrels and custom stocks all available if you want to build one from the ground up.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Oh my. Sorry us jakwads hurt your feelies.
Didn't hurt my feelings...I just take the mentality of such posters into account.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Didn't hurt my feelings...I just take the mentality of such posters into account.
That's good. Hope your custom builds are shooting good.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
20", bead blast, no muzzle brake

that's what this thread is for!
Not to leave you hangin' Fishe-e-o .... the parts are on order but some will take a while.

Here so far:
-Timney trigger
-Dlask CNC bolt
-Nikon Prostaff 7 4-16 x 50
-Dlask adjustable V-Block
-Dlask trigger pins and take down screw

Still to come:
-Boyds ss evolution stock
-KIDD 20" bull barrel
-Tactical innovations CH22 rear charge receiver. This one will take another couple of months but it's pretty cool.
http://www.tacticalinc.com/satin-sta...k6pdhu2ms5ao21

Will it shoot better that my stock 10/22 birchwood sporter? Maybe, maybe not but who cares. I was getting a bit bored and this is fun. Got me out to the range if nothing else.

I have not shot any 22 in a long time so I went out on the weekend. What a difference ammo makes. from about 1" groups with CCI green tag, 1.5" with CCI Mini-Mag to 6+ plus with Win super x 37 gr HP's. I could hardly believe it LOL

Thanks for the thread, I am enjoying it!
Old 02-22-2016, 01:26 PM
Banned

hey i too did some shooting this weekend with my 22. good to see you ordered the stuff that thing should be a slick little rifle all said and done. what stock were you going with?
* nevermind i see the boyds now

p.s. that receiver is slick, now i want to build a 1022 lol

so this is what the t-bolt and i did this weekend

both are 10 shot groups but with different ammo at 60 yards

just a bunch of different groups at a bunch of different ranges then i decided i'd want to replace the barrel one day but i have another project to do first.

Last edited by fish_e_o; 02-22-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM

NICE!

Boyds ss evolution is on its way!

Thanks
Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 PM

The Volquartsen hammer and sear made a huge difference as well as the green mountain barrel on the 10/22.

Shooting 10 shot groups just fooling around off bags at 50m now puts them pretty much in the same hole. I'll try off a bipod to see how tight a group I can get but it's a huge difference already.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:09 PM

They are fun to build, but depending on what you do... get you $$$$ out........

Old 02-23-2016, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
The Volquartsen hammer and sear made a huge difference as well as the green mountain barrel on the 10/22.

Shooting 10 shot groups just fooling around off bags at 50m now puts them pretty much in the same hole. I'll try off a bipod to see how tight a group I can get but it's a huge difference already.

good shootin. where you buyin all that stuff in Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post

funky, i like the barrel and oddly the muzzle brake. for being so anti muzzle brake i kinda like that one does it make it louder or just look cool?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:

funky, i like the barrel and oddly the muzzle brake. for being so anti muzzle brake i kinda like that one does it make it louder or just look cool?

In all honestly, I'd say both. Looks sweet, and it's defiantly loud for a .22
Old 02-23-2016, 07:01 PM

Just a few of the builds my kids and I worked on over the years... lots of fun in the shop and lots of ammo at the range... all good stuff.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most people's experience with 22lr is shooting lower priced rifles and cheap loads, so they have no idea of the cartridge's potential.
The simple fact is, that a high quality match 22lr rifle with match loads that it likes would shock most shooters as to how accurate that they can shoot to 100 yards.

Below are a couple of five shot 50 yard groups fired with $5 per box of 50 ammunition.

You don't need a high end rifle or match ammo to do that, my factory savage with a stainless fluted barrel hated any match ammo I put through it, but loves the Winchester in the red plastic boxes and has no problem with groups like that at 50 yards, I got about 950 into it including the scope, returned 3 10//22's in a row and then bought the savage, it's only a bolt action but it's scary deadly
Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post

Now that's a nice looking rig!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytcanon View Post

Just a few of the builds my kids and I worked on over the years... lots of fun in the shop and lots of ammo at the range... all good stuff.
Those too are nice looking
Old 02-23-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytcanon View Post

I've seen your builds before. Beautiful!! Great work!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Now that's a nice looking rig!!!!!!

Thank you!
Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 PM

The hammer and sear kit was from Brownell's I believe but I think even Milarm in Edmonton had it as well. The barrel was a ebay purchase some time back. I sold my old barrel and stock for decent money and was able to ebay a Hogue stock and barrel.

Quote:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger 1022 002 (Medium).JPG (125.1 KB, 27 views)