Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-10-2016, 07:18 PM

I will never get tired of shooting accurate smallore rifles, in a gopher patch or on the range!
The Martini Cadet is a true custom build however, the barrel being chambered and turned from a bank, wood cut from a blank, trigger done and scope mounts , etc.
It was done in a single weekend BTW!
Cat

Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Fif s gopher gun a factory 310 C.I.L. Is hard to best , same got a hunter class silhouette .
For a match rifle I might Re- barrel but likely not.
Cat
Thats what I use. Same as an anshutz 525 sporter isn't it?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper146 View Post
Thats what I use. Same as an anshutz 525 sporter isn't it?
No, the 525 is a semi, the 310 is a 64 actioned sporter.
3rd pic down
Cat
Old 02-10-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
No, the 525 is a semi, the 310 is a 64 actioned sporter.
3rd pic down
Cat
Oh right. Mines a cil 300
Old 02-10-2016, 08:38 PM

I recently had a custom sporting rifle built around a Winchester Model 52B - it will be about the prettiest .22 at the range. I still do not have a scope mounted, but Spring is coming and it will be time to get out and shoot.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Banned

Your rifle becomes custom once you change it.

That is all.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 PM

I've been pondering a build on one of the stiller rimfire actions for a while but man it's a lot of money to shoot gophers I really love my martini though.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 02-11-2016, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Your rifle becomes custom once you change it.

That is all.
New scope covers?

That is all.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:49 AM

I think it is funny how "practical" opinions are when questions like this are asked online.

Builds are not driven by practicality... they are driven by interest and "I want." Why do rimfire builds??? Because they are fun, interesting, inexpensive to shoot and attract you and/or new shooter's. I have done dozens of builds... and they can rival top Sporting rimfire rifles for accuracy... and a very select few can do much better at the bench than many would believe.

When my kids were you, we built a bunch of "cool" rigs, and I was most pleased that those rifles inspired my kids to come shooting with their old man.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 AM

10/22? Never heard of her. haha

You guys are forgetting the greatest .22 known to man, the Mossberg 715t.

Just kidding. Here is mine. I hate it. Like really hate it. A constant source of rage as I have owned it for 5 years and never been able to get more than a few rounds down range. I bet life time it has less than 50 rounds.

Sent to Mossberg once, Sent to a gun smith once, Have replaced trigger with newer 715t trigger. Just garbage. I would sell it, but feel to bad to anyone silly enough to consider. Just keep it as a reminder to not cheap out on gun stuff every time I open the safe haha.

But yeah, .22's are lots of fun for shooting cans and gophers. I would build another one right if I had the funds.
Attached Images
File Type: png 715t.png (233.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
New scope covers?

That is all.
Only if you added a scope?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytcanon View Post
I think it is funny how "practical" opinions are when questions like this are asked online.

Builds are not driven by practicality... they are driven by interest and "I want." Why do rimfire builds??? Because they are fun, interesting, inexpensive to shoot and attract you and/or new shooter's. I have done dozens of builds... and they can rival top Sporting rimfire rifles for accuracy... and a very select few can do much better at the bench than many would believe.

When my kids were you, we built a bunch of "cool" rigs, and I was most pleased that those rifles inspired my kids to come shooting with their old man.
x2...I don't get the mentality that when a question like this is asked (as you state some people just find them fun) all the jakwads respond with what amounts to, 'well I don't like it and anyone that does must me nuts'.
In my day (a long time ago, I admit, it was 'different strokes for different folks'...it's what makes the world interesting.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:25 AM

I never hunted with s .22 until I left home and worked a trapline .
Until then virtually every rifle chamber in .22LR was s match rifle of sporting class target rifle .
We shot varmints with center fires and birds with shotguns , so I never got UHF chance if the urge to modify a semi auto 22 when I was a kid.
Sure gad fun bedding and accurizing stuff like .222's and .223's though !
I think it 's the same as hot rids and bush buggies .
My kid has s pile of money into his four runner for off roading but I never could get my head around it!
Cat
Old 02-11-2016, 09:51 AM

A friend raises Clydesdale's after puts them out to pasture we go into the feedlot for gopher control, its almost like the ground is alive there are hundreds of little targets scurrying around.
I like accurate rifles and I've shot gophers with a bolt action mainly because I could never find a semi that shot accurate enough. This was my driving force to modify a 10/22. I choose the Ruger because of all the aftermarket parts available. I wanted to go with a walnut stock but Boyd's prices with exchange for a unfinished stock is almost $250 with shipping, instead I went with a Hogue, combined with the fluted heavy barrel makes for a light well balanced gopher gun.

Ralph supplies the 22 shells followed by a steak BBQ, good times I can't wait to go this year.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Banned

hey if i wanted "rational" "cost effective" "useful" or "explainable"

1. i would end up with a 50 year old cooey with open sights and rust (which are awesome too)

2. i wouldn't talk about it here with you nuts

now who knows what the tenon looks like on a t-bolt or should i just thread it?
Old 02-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
A friend raises Clydesdale's after puts them out to pasture we go into the feedlot for gopher control, its almost like the ground is alive there are hundreds of little targets scurrying around.
I like accurate rifles and I've shot gophers with a bolt action mainly because I could never find a semi that shot accurate enough. This was my driving force to modify a 10/22. I choose the Ruger because of all the aftermarket parts available. I wanted to go with a walnut stock but Boyd's prices with exchange for a unfinished stock is almost $250 with shipping, instead I went with a Hogue, combined with the fluted heavy barrel makes for a light well balanced gopher gun.

Ralph supplies the 22 shells followed by a steak BBQ, good times I can't wait to go this year.

hey friend... how's it going?

also i hear that barrels tend to sag on the 10-22's issue or not?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post

I installed a v block kit I bought on Ebay to eliminate barrel sag. I also drilled a hole to put a cleaning rod through the back of the receiver so its not necessary to remove the barrel for a through cleaning. The Tuffer buffers work excellent for a smoother action.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Well fish-e-o ... you inspired me

I ordered a boyds SS evolution stock and a timney trigger for the 10/22

So ya ... now what to do about a barrel? I have a birchwood sporter 22" light barrel. What about this?

http://dlaskarms.com/collections/bar...tainless-steel

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the hijack! Would I build a 22? Probably not if fish-e-o had not brought up the subject ... but here we are
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
another thread got me thinkin. would you build a 22lr?

i wouldn't because of a lack of quality ammo.
There's quality ammo, it doesn't come in a box of 500 for $30 but it exists. Lots of target events are shot in 22LR
Old 02-11-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
There's quality ammo, it doesn't come in a box of 500 for $30 but it exists. Lots of target events are shot in 22LR
Most people's experience with 22lr is shooting lower priced rifles and cheap loads, so they have no idea of the cartridge's potential.
The simple fact is, that a high quality match 22lr rifle with match loads that it likes would shock most shooters as to how accurate that they can shoot to 100 yards.

Below are a couple of five shot 50 yard groups fired with $5 per box of 50 ammunition.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post

http://dlaskarms.com/collections/bar...tainless-steel

Any suggestions?

Sorry for the hijack! Would I build a 22? Probably not if fish-e-o had not brought up the subject ... but here we are
20", bead blast, no muzzle brake

that's what this thread is for!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Most people's experience with 22lr is shooting lower priced rifles and cheap loads, so they have no idea of the cartridge's potential.
The simple fact is, that a high quality match 22lr rifle with match loads that it likes would shock most shooters as to how accurate that they can shoot to 100 yards.
but those a lot of guys have barrel tuners because they can't make quality ammo to suit their rifle.

which on one hand 6 of one half dozen of another but hey i'm stubborn
Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
but those a lot of guys have barrel tuners because they can't make quality ammo to suit their rifle.

which on one hand 6 of one half dozen of another but hey i'm stubborn
I don't have tuners on any of my rifles, yet I have shot many sub 1/4" five shot groups at 50 yards, and many sub 3/4" groups(some under 1/2") at 100 yards. And I don't use the most expensive target loads either.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
I don't have tuners on any of my rifles, yet I have shot many sub 1/4" five shot groups at 50 yards, and many sub 3/4" groups(some under 1/2") at 100 yards. And I don't use the most expensive target loads either.
just think of what you could do if you loaded
Old 02-11-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
just think of what you could do if you loaded
Your first post was about shooting gophers with cheaper ,quieter. ammunition. At 100 yards or less, I would gain nothing for shooting ground squirrels, and I certainly can't load for $5 per 50 loads.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
x2...I don't get the mentality that when a question like this is asked (as you state some people just find them fun) all the jakwads respond with what amounts to, 'well I don't like it and anyone that does must me nuts'.
In my day (a long time ago, I admit, it was 'different strokes for different folks'...it's what makes the world interesting.
Oh my. Sorry us jakwads hurt your feelies.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM

Elk11 has shown why if a person wants an accurate 22, for gophers, as Fish e o originally posed the question, it is near impossible to beat the accuracy that can be obtained with a quality factory 22.

If you want to build for the fun of it, give er, but don't think you are going to save money or gain accuracy. When you go to sell it you are going to take a bath too. But if the journey is where you derive your enjoyment, go for it.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:28 AM

Why not build something that gets shot the most? A custom 22LR makes a ton of sense.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your first post was about shooting gophers with cheaper ,quieter. ammunition. At 100 yards or less, I would gain nothing for shooting ground squirrels, and I certainly can't load for $5 per 50 loads.
no you certainly can not.

but if you had all the machinery and you could tune your loads wouldn't that be swell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Elk11 has shown why if a person wants an accurate 22, for gophers, as Fish e o originally posed the question, it is near impossible to beat the accuracy that can be obtained with a quality factory 22.

If you want to build for the fun of it, give er, but don't think you are going to save money or gain accuracy. When you go to sell it you are going to take a bath too. But if the journey is where you derive your enjoyment, go for it.
i like to think of it as extremely diminishing returns.

that being said i've always thought that there is more than just accuracy as a benefit to a custom barrel
Old 02-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Why not build something that gets shot the most? A custom 22LR makes a ton of sense.
lots of guys build "trainers" to practice so they aren't shooting the big boys all the time.