Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Banned

it's funny, I can shoot my 300wsm all day, I ask a AO member why that was he told me its because of Brownings patented recoil pad technology.

On the other hand my 30-06 has a hand crafted walnut stock with a sterling silver plate on the butt, 5 shots and I have had enough! lol
Old 03-28-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Not a matter of being lazy, I bet you that I have reloaded more shells, then you will ever reload in your lifetime!

What it coms down to for me is the amount of shooting I do, to go through all the expense imvolved, for what I believe will only be minimal and since I only shoot to kill (non-competitive), the differences and variances from box to box really does not matter.
When you are shooting at animals at 500 yards and farther, the differences from lot to lot are very significant.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:37 PM

I'm not sure where people are coming from with the feeding issues. Owning a Tikka in 300wsm and Sako in 270wsm, I've never seen a problem. Maybe other manufacturers' actions have more issues.

If I already owned a 30-06 I'd load that up with some heavy slugs and make that my shorter range bush/hunting moose and elk gun; then buy the 270wsm for a longer range, sheep and elk rifle.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When you are shooting at animals at 500 yards and farther, the differences from lot to lot are very significant.
Not that I noticed, took my rifle out of the case when it was shipped back to me from Corelanes, put out a 10" metal plate at 500 yards, hit it every time leaning on the hood of my truck.

If it were a moose or an elk, every shot I took would have killed the animal, quickly
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 PM

I'd think about splitting the difference and look at a 7 WSM. I reload so don't pay a ton of attention to what's on the shelf as far as ammo but I remember seeing a decent selection around. I think you should be able to find 140 to 160 gn factory ammo relatively easily. I've owned 270wsm, 300wsm, and 7wsm and really like the 7 for a good one round does everything type rifle. A dedicated elk/moose gun and 300 would be hard to beat as would a 270 wsm for a dedicated deer rifle. Those are my thoughts anyway.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Not that I noticed, took my rifle out of the case when it was shipped back to me from Corelanes, put out a 10" metal plate at 500 yards, hit it every time leaning on the hood of my truck.

If it were a moose or an elk, every shot I took would have killed the animal, quickly
And the next lot might make a great deal of difference. The manufacturers change recipes, and they don't notify the consumer, every time that they make a change.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
And the next lot might make a great deal of difference. The manufacturers change recipes, and they don't notify the consumer, every time that they make a change.
You maybe right! But to me that does not make any sense.

I am going to call Nosler and talk to a technical support person and ask some questions in order to educate myself on Monday. I will report what they tell me.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:31 PM

I can't wait for this enlightenment.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I can't wait for this enlightenment.
It would likely be quite entertaining to be listening in on that conversation.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:43 PM
Banned

If you want to do a conference call, I can set it up. Let me know

What I do know for sure is that every animal I shot at with my 300 WSM, with the Nosler Trophy Grade 180 Gr. Accubonds, 1. It made a hell of a sound when it hit the animal, and 2. the animal folded like a cheap tent.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:44 PM

Even the same batch of ammo will have significant differences if shot at different temperatures. If I had someone build me a shooting system and calibrated the turret at 850yards at 25 degrees then take that same rifle/load hunting at 0 degrees there will be roughly 10" different in impact point at 850yards.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:53 PM

I don't much care for the WSM, mostly cause I don't like short and fat, in cars, woman, or cartridges,
I have the .270wsm in a M70, nothing wrong with the cartridge, I just prefer the .264 win and 300H&H, for my magnum's.

The 7wsm might be a good comperrise, except it all but seams to have died off.
I think the thread starter, should concider the 7mm mag and 300 win mag, as well.
Both have a well proven track record, and rifles and ammo are freely aviable in multiple choices and platforms.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Banned

True!
Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Even the same batch of ammo will have significant differences if shot at different temperatures. If I had someone build me a shooting system and calibrated the turret at 850yards at 25 degrees then take that same rifle/load hunting at 0 degrees there will be roughly 10" different in impact point at 850yards.
Yup, and if you don't shoot enough under all circumstances and conditions you would never know how your rifle behaved.

LC
Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
If you want to do a conference call, I can set it up. Let me know

What I do know for sure is that every animal I shot at with my 300 WSM, with the Nosler Trophy Grade 180 Gr. Accubonds, 1. It made a hell of a sound when it hit the animal, and 2. the animal folded like a cheap tent.
With respect, I think we are talking about different things. Yes factory ammo is accurate, it kills game and generally can be relied upon. The Trophy product you have selected is in my experience quality factory ammo - a little over priced in my opinion but someone designed a cool looking black box with an even cooler animal silhouette. However (and its a big HOWEVER) it is at the end of the day factory built and will not compare with what an experienced reloader can achieve who tailors a variety of criteria to an exact specification and specific rifle. There is no substitute for precision when it comes to shooting accurately, whether the gun, the ammo or the shooter and accuracy is one of the most important elements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a factory shooter as well but I love shooting and have spent a lot of time at the range or chasing squirrels, big game and shooting at just about everything that moves. I am a handy shot, particularly in an real hunting situation and I can afford high quality guns and equipment but where I suck (and you suck to) is the ammo and because of that we are at best Class B shooters.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
With respect, I think we are talking about different things. Yes factory ammo is accurate, it kills game and generally can be relied upon. The Trophy product you have selected is in my experience quality factory ammo - a little over priced in my opinion but someone designed a cool looking black box with an even cooler animal silhouette. However (and its a big HOWEVER) it is at the end of the day factory built and will not compare with what an experienced reloader can achieve who tailors a variety of criteria to an exact specification and specific rifle. There is no substitute for precision when it comes to shooting accurately, whether the gun, the ammo or the shooter and accuracy is one of the most important elements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a factory shooter as well but I love shooting and have spent a lot of time at the range or chasing squirrels, big game and shooting at just about everything that moves. I am a handy shot, particularly in an real hunting situation and I can afford high quality guns and equipment but where I suck (and you suck to) is the ammo and because of that we are at best Class B shooters.
There is no doubt in my mind that specialized hand loads could possibly out preform factory loads and that if you are a tournament shooter and shooting hundreds, even thousands of rounds you are way better off reloading you own ammo not only because you can specialize your loads, but also because it is more cost effective to do so. I know this to be true because I have personally reloaded thousands of shells myself.

I would also agree that I am not an A class tournament shooter, because frankly I am not into shooting at targets, because it bores me. As a lifetime shooter and hunter, who has hunted for decades with many folks I can tell you that I am way better shot then most because I do not suffer from any type of (buck fevers) and everything I shoot typically dies on the spot or is easily retrievable at both short and long ranges. I would also like to say that I have known many "A" class target shooters that can't shoot worth (well you know) in real life hunting situations.

I do not hunt with Nosler Trophy Grade 180 Gr. Accubunds because, as you put it “someone designed a cool looking black box with an even cooler animal silhouette”. I shoot them because after testing several factory loads the barrel on my particle rifle preferred this particular shell and consistently provided accurate and superior groupings. In the field, I have never had any issues with them and like I already said, everything I have shot at has dropped like a sack of hammers.

Now to get back on topic, and the OP’s question was 270wsm v. 300wsm. I stated that I would go with a 300wsm and the reason why is because I prefer the 30 caliber since my only other rifle is a rather very expensive 30-06 and it has never let me down, it has put a ton of animals down for the count and packs quite the punch and has fed me for years.

I am not saying that the 270wsm isn’t a good choice it all depends on what your criteria is when making a final decision and because I have killed lots of animal with my bow, so in the end any quality weapon in the right hands, is a deadly weapon especially if the hunter is a capable shooter/hunter.

Hope that clears things up for you? If not feel free to PM me because I do not want to derail the OP's thread any further then we already have!

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-29-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:21 AM

Thanks everyone for their opinions - just like eyebrows most of us have a couple lol

I'm thinking of now going with a 300wsm. Looking at some ballistics at 150gr it's flatter than the 270wsm, it has heavier bullet options, and with going into the backcountry I'm thinking a little more punch if I have an unfortunate run in with a grizz is comforting.

All this being said, good optics, time at the range, getting into shape so humping over mountains and lots of time scouting is going to account more for a successful season than buying a new gun. Furthermore, I have no illusions I'm going to bag a sheep the first year of sheep hunting but the opportunity to go with a buddy into the backcountry on horseback for the experience is hopefully going to be work the work.

Any suggestions on scopes?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking of now going with a 300wsm. Looking at some ballistics at 150gr it's flatter than the 270wsm, it has heavier bullet options, and with going into the backcountry I'm thinking a little more punch if I have an unfortunate run in with a grizz is comforting.
If you are comparing 150 gr bullets for both the 270wsm, and the 300wsm, your comparison is badly flawed. Yes the 300wsm will produce more muzzle velocity with a 150gr bullet, but the much higher BC of the 277" bullet will result in a flatter trajectory, and less wind drift, as the range increases.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker View Post
Thanks everyone for their opinions - just like eyebrows most of us have a couple lol

All this being said, good optics, time at the range, getting into shape so humping over mountains and lots of time scouting is going to account more for a successful season than buying a new gun. Furthermore, I have no illusions I'm going to bag a sheep the first year of sheep hunting but the opportunity to go with a buddy into the backcountry on horseback for the experience is hopefully going to be work the work.

Great choice if you ask me! If you are buying your 300wsm to sheep hunt, I recommend that you take a look at the Browning Mountain Ti 300wsm, total weight 5 lbs. 5 oz. I topped mine off with a Huskemaw instead of a NF because it is a great long range scope that is compact and only weighs 1 lb. 7 oz. Total weight of my rig 7 lbs. 2 oz.

You will love that when you have to carry in up all of those mountain ranges, not to forget that if you find the trophy you want on your wall and it is out there, you can reach out and touch it! It will also kill any animal I know of that walks most continents on our little blue planet.

Here is a picture of her, I call her "Princess" lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Princess.jpg (33.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-29-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I topped mine off with a Huskemaw instead of a NF because it is a great long range scope that is compact and only weighs 1 lb. 7 oz.
Only 1lb 7oz? It may be lighter than a Nightforce, but it's still a porker of a scope.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityslicker View Post

As mentioned earlier 270 or 300 will do the job although I think your ballistic calc on the 150 grain is incorrect. Also for sheep hunting I would suggest doing some research on bullet weights - if it was me I would be going with the 270wsm in a 130 grain bullet. Fast, flat and less recoil in a light weight rifle, therefore probably also more accurate in a less experienced shooter.

I would match your scope magnification with your ability to shoot long distance and if that is less than 500 yards then don't bother going over 12 magnification. There's lots of nice scopes out there but in descending order of expense I would look at Zeiss Rapid Z, Vortex Talon HD, Leupold (VX3), Vortex Viper HD, Zeiss Terra, Nikon and Burris. Lots of others too but I own these and they all work well for the money paid.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Only 1lb 7oz? It may be lighter than a Nightforce, but it's still a porker of a scope.
I am sure that there are lighter scopes, but maybe I missed the topic. Wasn't the topic: 270wsm or 300wsm?

In any case, I bought my rig specifically for Elk, Moose and Deer and I wouldn't hesitate to use my rig on sheep. At 7 lbs. 2 oz. and knowing that whatever I am hunting at long range if need be, Princess will get the job done and I love her.

To each their own and I say Happy Hunting to all!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
If you are buying your 300wsm to sheep hunt, I recommend that you take a look at the Browning Mountain Ti 300wsm, total weight 5 lbs. 5 oz.
Holy crap, that's a light rifle in a magnum. I thought my Tikka T3 was bad!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka300wsm View Post
Holy crap, that's a light rifle in a magnum. I thought my Tikka T3 was bad!
lol

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-29-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I am sure that there are lighter scopes, but maybe I missed the topic. Wasn't the topic: 270wsm or 300wsm?
You are the one that brought scopes into the discussion, by bragging up your Huskemaw scope, and claiming that it only weighed 1lb 7 oz, as if that was light for a hunting scope.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are the one that brought scopes into the discussion, by bragging up your Huskemaw scope, and claiming that it only weighed 1lb 7 oz, as if that was light for a hunting scope.
I was not bragging, I was simply stating what I use and why, to be helpful to the OP.

Over and out
Old 03-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was not bragging, I was simply stating what I use and why, to be helpful to the OP.

Over and out
I am taking this opportunity to offer you $100 cash for your awkward, heavy, Huskeemahh riflescope,

You will pay the freight, which will leave you with no money, as your scope is heavy, as several of us have pointed out, but at least you don't have to lug that heavy monster around the hills,,

Old 03-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
I am taking this opportunity to offer you $100 cash for your awkward, heavy, Huskeemahh riflescope,

You will pay the freight, which will leave you with no money, as your scope is heavy, as several of us have pointed out, but at least you don't have to lug that heavy monster around the hills,,

This is not the first time I have seen you on AO elkdump.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:41 PM

300 WSM ...better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it hahaha
Old 03-29-2015, 10:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and insights. I will likely throw a thread up on the optics discussion for your thoughts. It's appreciated to those that took the time to reply and not just read and dismiss a low experienced hunter.

Tags
270wsm, 300wsm, ballistics, sheep