Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Default BDB's Top gun reviews

A lot of stuff there that's hard to agree with...just some more opinions. They gave the Axis trigger 4 stars out of 5? Rem 700 action got 3 stars out of 5 for versatility?http://http://www.topgunreview.com/b...e/bolt-action/
Old 08-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
A lot of stuff there that's hard to agree with...just some more opinions. They gave the Axis trigger 4 stars out of 5? Rem 700 action got 3 stars out of 5 for versatility?http://http://www.topgunreview.com/b...e/bolt-action/
They explian why in the actual review.
Its all a bit subjective though.... just the opinion of a very small group.

I wouldn't take it as gospel or even assign the same worth to some of the things they talk about.

For instance...
Does the finish or the safety really matter thas much as the trigger?
Of course not...yet in the tally those items are weighed out of 5 just the same as the trigger.

What is important is that the same group of people looked at and assessed the rifles using the same consistent method of scoring them....so no bias was built in.
Based upon that... it is reasonable to suppose that any one of us using the our own consistent and objective assessment method might get similar results.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
They explian why in the actual review.
Its all a bit subjective though.... just the opinion of a very small group.

I wouldn't take it as gospel or even assign the same worth to some of the things they talk about.

For instance...
Does the finish or the safety really matter thas much as the trigger?
Of course not...yet in the tally those items are weighed out of 5 just the same as the trigger.

What is important is that the same group of people looked at and assessed the rifles using the same consistent method of scoring them....so no bias was built in.
Based upon that... it is reasonable to suppose that any one of us using the our own consistent and objective assessment method might get similar results.
Thanks for posting that sounds to me like the ol chev ford dodge argument lol
Old 08-05-2013, 05:37 PM

Just curious how many shooters have actually tried the Axis? I went out this weekend to try one my friend owns and it was much better than expected. The big issues, like the trigger, weren't bad enough to take away from the rifle itself. Could easily keep 3 rounds in 2" at 100 yards with 223. Not too bad for a gun that is cheaper then some of the scopes I've owned.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Default Cheap gun

What about the new Ruger American Rifle which is in Cabela,s for about $450.00?
Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM

Old 08-05-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khornet View Post
Just curious how many shooters have actually tried the Axis? I went out this weekend to try one my friend owns and it was much better than expected. The big issues, like the trigger, weren't bad enough to take away from the rifle itself. Could easily keep 3 rounds in 2" at 100 yards with 223. Not too bad for a gun that is cheaper then some of the scopes I've owned.
Thats why im pro axis Not sure how to do polls but maybe someone could put one up??
Shot and like the axis,
shot and not bad shooter for the price
shot and hate,
never shot but hate,
heard what others have said they heard about it and hate it

Would be interested to see where the nay sayers for the axis fit
Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Banned

I had the task of putting together an Axis for a youth prize rifle that Cat had graciouly put up for youth shooters. The gun did not impress me in no way that I could possibly describe. It was truly a POS as most would have it.. BUT whe it came to load devellopment, that gun behaved as would expect more expensive guns to come in. Darn it, I hate them, but boys do they shoot.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Thanks for posting that sounds to me like the ol chev ford dodge argument lol
Sort of but the guys making the arguments are driving Lambo's.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300ultramamg View Post
Read the review...I posted it a few back.
It came in smack in the middle of the pack.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 AM

Thumbs up Axis

I purchased a new savage axis stainless in 243 off one of the other members on here for my daughter. The truth is I was amazed how good it shoot cheap fusion Lead stock. So I thought lets make it better as a winter project . Well a rifle basics trigger & a new bushnell legend HD 4.5 x15 44 and voila , my second fav in the safe of 10+choices. Only thing that hurts this gun is the forend stock ,flimsy and can't mount a bipod. Other than that it's a awesome deal for the little cash it costs. Shoots awesome groups , it's light. Reliable ..ps flush the bolt out with.wd40 and oil it . Was full of grease from factory & froze up the fireing pin. Also one of my best friends had it happen last year with his new savage in nov. best of luck with your purchase .
Old 08-06-2013, 03:51 AM

bedding the fore end with a couple rods in it really helps stiffening up the front end, theres a great how to on savageshooters
Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 AM

My first big game rifle was a "budget" rifle. Back then, that meant a Lee Enfield. To those fortunate enough to hunt with Winchester Model 70's or Remington 700's, or most anything thing else, it probably wasn't much of a rifle. To my eyes though, it was a thing of beauty. I shot it a lot, learned to reload for it, and shot a fair amount of game with it. I still have it and while it may no longer be a thing of beauty, it is still a treasured rifle.
I am not a fan of the modern, plastic stocked, factory rifle but, if I was 14 again and if I was given one of these as my first rifle, I would undoubtedly regard it with pride and it would become a trusted hunting companion just like my old Lee Enfield was. These rifles don't pretend to be something they are not. They usually shoot well (sometimes very well) and will do what is required of them. Whether or not they can instill pride of ownership depends on your viewpoint, I guess. I'm still kind of proud of the Lee Enfield and feel no need to throw a coat over it if a stranger comes into camp. Leeper
Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 AM

For me my first Rifle was a Savage Combo 111 in 270 Win. Its a damn good rifle and with some upgrading its a gun that I plan to keep for a long time. I havent shot an axis but for the price difference Id probably buy a Stevens Model 200 instead. Not that the Axis is a bad choice, just dont like the stock or action on them and the M200 is essentially the same as my 111 with a internal box magazine instead of detachable mag.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 AM

People tend to know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

My advice to anyone on a tight budget is to buy used. Buy a savage 99, pre 64/post 64 model 70, Ruger 77, or Remington 700. That is what I'm going to do with my son. He will have something he can use for a lifetime if he wishes. He can also upgrade many of them easily. How does a sub quality rifle that will eventually need upgrading a good financial decision?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM

Chuck, if you don't judge the Axis as a one-and-only lifetime rifle that does it all, you may come to see that it is a reasonable way to get into hunting.

the Axis is a good decision because it delivers the following value:

- it is an affordable entry point to hunting.
- it feeds and extracts reliably.
- it shoots straight and does the job.
- it is not too heavy for youth shooters.
- later on, it will make a fine backup rifle when the new hunter goes forward in the sport and buys a nicer gun.
- later on, it will make a fine rifle to lend to a friend/gf who is being introduced to hunting.

There really is no need to upgrade the Axis -save maybe perhaps for a better scope- to try and make it into what it is not and was never designed to be.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Chuck, if you don't judge the Axis as a one-and-only lifetime rifle that does it all, you may come to see that it is a reasonable way to get into hunting.

the Axis is a good decision because it delivers the following value:

- it is an affordable entry point to hunting.
- it feeds and extracts reliably.
- it shoots straight and does the job.
- it is not too heavy for youth shooters.
- later on, it will make a fine backup rifle when the new hunter goes forward in the sport and buys a nicer gun.
- later on, it will make a fine rifle to lend to a friend/gf who is being introduced to hunting.

There really is no need to upgrade the Axis -save maybe perhaps for a better scope- to try and make it into what it is not and was never designed to be.
And those that believe much of the above obviously don't know better.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I wouldn't buy either, but the Axis over the plastic Remington.Buy a used Ruger77,Rem 700/788 or a Win 70 at least most of the gun is steel and have proven track records.Harold
x2
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM

Such passion....Who cares who knows what. Buy what ever you want. If you hate it, sell it to someone else. If you love it, hang on to it. The Axis works, and is cheap. Same goes for the 770. Some like them, and some don't. I have heard complaints about so many different rifles cheap, and expensive alike, and people still buy them. For some people, price is considered while weighing the pros and cons of certain brands or models. For some price is more important than a silky smooth action and a 60 degree bolt lift, or a trigger that breaks at 6 ounces. I like rifles....never met a bad one! Some are different, just like people...Shoot whatever makes you happy!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Since you seem to know so much, which points listed would make a guy obviously not know any better???

it is an affordable entry point to hunting. Paid 300
- it feeds and extracts reliably. Have yet to have an issue in reliability
- it shoots straight and does the job. Shoots an inch or so at 100 using 95gr .243
- it is not too heavy for youth shooters. Nice and light
- later on, it will make a fine backup rifle when the new hunter goes forward in the sport and buys a nicer gun. Have a 7RM and wanted/needed a smaller caliber for a deer rifle
- later on, it will make a fine rifle to lend to a friend/gf who is being introduced to hunting Not everyone has there own rifles, and letting a bud use one while you still have one in your hands

Sooo what am I OBVIOUSLY missing here??
I definitely see your personal opinions on "cheap" is very jaded and if your butt is getting sore from the horse your riding, maybe step on down and try out these cheap rifles for a bit
Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM

I've owned an Axis and I liked it. If you need a good inexpensive rifle I suggest you take a look at the Marlin (I think they only make one basic bolt gun in different variations). That's what I settled on for my primary deer rifle and I like it very much.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
I've owned an Axis and I liked it. If you need a good inexpensive rifle I suggest you take a look at the Marlin (I think they only make one basic bolt gun in different variations). That's what I settled on for my primary deer rifle and I like it very much.
And that my friend is the only thing that counts. Happy hunting.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I ended up with my axis during a sale as WSS. I mean for the money I spent on that thing, did really good. And its a good rifle. The price it was on it was either an axis or an SVT40. Went with the bolt action. Tried to get it in 25-06 but they did not have any in stock, so I took the last .243 Im happy with the rifle. It may not be the best there is but it still works great There is one thing I dont really like and thats the detachable mag, gotta make sure that bad boy is clipped in all the way or it will fall out. But it may just be me and only using a box mag, so i might just need to get used to pushing it in. Who knows
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM

two types of people in this world... those that love their Axis, and those that have never shot them! hahahaha...

Way I see it is like this... everyone gave me h*ll for driving a new V6 camaro, well fact is, I bought the car because it appealed to me and quite frankly, I wasn't using it as a mechanical extension to my manhood!

Same goes for the Axis... I own several. Not the most expensive rifle on the shelf... but it does its job, just as the V6 camaro does!

In both instances, the ignorance of the none owners astounds me! Most, not all, but most, internet opinions are based on "what i've been told" information with no actual groundings.

Proud Axis owner here. I've owned them in .308, .25-06, .22-250 and a .223 and loved them all. Swapped out the rings and bases with one piece BNZ and shot the hell outta them. Was able to get the .223 and 500 rounds of ammo for less then I paid for my Remmy 700 SPS. (I own several of them)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You fit the term "troll" magnificently.

Nothing to offer but condescending commentary and negativity, perhaps trying to draw out a reaction?

Not actual criticism though, you look down on the axis and those that preach it, but have no actual real world feedback on it.

Perhaps you should google for negative reviews and then post them as if it were your own or a close friends experience with them to try and create some credibility.

Last edited by cody c; 08-07-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
The X7?

Very good quality for the money.
Much better than the Axis I think but sadly a few bucks more.
My wife has one...she prefers it to a much more expensive rifle that I ended up "inheriting" from her.

I just ordered another one in 223 with a heavy barrel.

I'm pretty sure I'll get my moneys worth out of it...if it shoots like my wifes.

Truth be told...I think that if they were easier to find... a lot of Axis guys would have found themselves searching couch cushions for a few dollars more.

Not that there is anything wrong with the Savage...mine shot very well but I never did like that magazine and I was forced to modify the stock for my own satisfaction.
I sold it to a friend and he is tickled pink with it.
He told me a while back that he almost feels guity for talking me down a couple bucks on it.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
You fit the term "troll" magnificently.

Nothing to offer but condescending commentary and negativity, perhaps trying to draw out a reaction?

Not actual criticism though, you look down on the axis and those that preach it, but have no actual real world feedback on it.

Perhaps you should google for negative reviews and then post them as if it were your own or a close friends experience with them to try and create some credibility.
The problem is Cody, if I tell you you won't listen. But I am telling you I have worked on Savage Axis rifles. They are garbage in every sense of the word. The stock is horrid, the trigger is horrid, the feeding is horrid, the DBM is horrid, the fit is horrid, the finish is horrid, the bolt release is horrid, the extractor is horrid, etc. They are a poorly built rifle in most senses of the word.

They are also an inanimate object and I have every right to have an opinion on them. So do you. But you see Cody, not all opinions are created equally.

I have given advice, but the likes of you will never listen until an itoldyaso happens. And they will happen. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Find someone that picked up a used Ruger 77 for $450 and compare it side by side with your $350 Axis. Run dummy cartridges through the magazine into the chamber, shoot them side by side for a day. Then come back and tell me what you think. Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime is never a good idea.

But, the $45000 pickup driving, Satellite watching, Iphone using, $500,000 starter home crowd can't afford a real rifle. I'm sorry, but give me a break.

Sincerely,

Your magnificent troll.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Find someone that picked up a used Ruger 77 for $450 and compare it side by side with your $350 Axis. Run dummy cartridges through the magazine into the chamber, shoot them side by side for a day. Then come back and tell me what you think. Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime is never a good idea.

Geez Chuck, your upping the percentages of posts i can 'like'.
This is a very fair and true statement. Sometimes it doesn't take much to do a lot better than 'good enough'.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickgazinya View Post
Find someone that picked up a used Ruger 77 for $450 and compare it side by side with your $350 Axis. Run dummy cartridges through the magazine into the chamber, shoot them side by side for a day. Then come back and tell me what you think. Stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime is never a good idea.

Geez Chuck, your upping the percentages of posts i can 'like'.
This is a very fair and true statement. Sometimes it doesn't take much to do a lot better than 'good enough'.
No it doesn't. If I wasn't left handed I would NEVER buy a new rifle. Ever.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM

Well, i'm right handed, and of the 4 or 5 new guns i've bought in 25 yrs, i have none left. I'm at a point where i build or buy 'parts' guns and customize to my liking.
To my way of thinking, and the same way i think about vehicles and a lot of other 'new advancements' , older was better. I guesss there's a generation of sportsman now that really don't have the eye for comparison; since old doesn't sell new guns and technology on tv and gun rags.