Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 07:15 AM

Default Budget rifles

Looking at the Savage Axis and the Remington 770. Does anyone
have experiences with either of these? How do they perform? The value seems to be there
for the cost, but just wondering how they are. I tend to have a bit
of a lean towards Remington.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 AM

Default neither

I wouldn't buy either, but the Axis over the plastic Remington.Buy a used Ruger77,Rem 700/788 or a Win 70 at least most of the gun is steel and have proven track records.Harold
Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 AM

If you are looking for a garden stake for your tomatos, the 770 is a good choice, but if you are looking for a rifle to shoot, the axis is the better choice. Personally, I would look for an original Vanguard, as they are far superior to either, and they have been on closeout for just over $400. Dante currently has the Vanguard with detachable magazine on for $417.77.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-02-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM

A good value they are not.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:24 AM

I would sell all my guns before ever owning either of those, pure garbage. Look on the buy and sell and buy a used rifle.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Right on. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:25 AM

Here is a link for a search I did on the Savage Axis
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=11091576

Depending on what your budget is look at the Weatherby Vanguard. I have one as well as a Savage Axis. I can see myself keeping the Weatherby for a long, long time. I can see myself wanting to get a nicer rifle for hunting and the Axis sitting in the safe as a back-up of having one of my boys start out on it. The Axis does the trick but there is little pride of ownership for me.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Spend less than 100 dollars more than the 770 for the 783 i have one its a good gun
Old 08-02-2013, 12:31 PM

Cabelas has decent prices on the remmington 700 SPS DM, much more gooder trigger then the bottom of the barrel savages... Of course for around the same money as the 700 you can get into a savage with accutrigger then it becomes who's opinion your going to listen to on the interweb...

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 08-02-2013, 01:00 PM

Keep your eyes open for something used, as I think that is your best bet.

For new, I once looked at many of the rifles mentioned in this thread and liked the Vanguards for the price point. Was never impressed by the Remingtons or Axises.

Just my view.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuard84 View Post
Keep your eyes open for something used, as I think that is your best bet.

Just my view.
And my veiw as well

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM

If you're just wanting a cheap rifle that will serve a purpose for hunting, that you won't cry if it gets banged up, you're just keeping it as a back up, or maybe something to pass down to a young shooter in the future that again - you won't be upset if it gets banged up - I personally quite like the Axis. If you can afford to spend a bit more money - naturally I think everyone would suggest it, but if you're not planning on buying a rifle to showcase in a glass box when you're not using it, it's just fine for an every day hunter/target shooters needs. If you're not set on either but want a sound rifle at an affordable price - depending on what you plan to hunt with, the Swiss K31 is pretty awesome.. very accurate, very affordable. I personally, being a smaller framed woman, find it uncomfortable to handle because it's quite heavy and just has the original steel buttplate, but my 6ft tall 160lb hubby absolutely loves it - as does everyone that's ever handled it with the exception of me, lol.

Just my two cents, of course
Old 08-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Banned

Ruger American
Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Nothing wrong with the axis, I have one in .243 its a cheap rifle wth do you expect??? It shoots great, not perfect but more then good enough for hunting. Just get a half decent scope on it and youll be FINE
Old 08-02-2013, 03:26 PM

i have an axis and my roommate has the 770 (both 270 win)
axis
-stock fit is a little off (for me anyways)
-stock is cheep and hollow
-trigger is bad
-accuracy is good considering the price.

-stock finish (camo model) flakes off
-bolt is not as smooth as savage and also a little stiff
-trigger is not great but better than savage
-accuracy is ok but not as good as the savage
-better overall feel to the stock

if you are still set on going budget with one of these 2 rifles i would recomend getting the axis and doing a little work on it. As a project i have removed the buttplate and filled the crappy stock with sprayfoam to get rid of the hollow sound, i removed the crappy package scope and put a new one on, and i am ordering a new rifle basix trigger to replace the p.o.s one that it currently has.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Most of the people who like the Axis are those who own one. That in itself says more than the opinions of those who don't. Yes, they all need some work out of the box. Trigger is unusually stiff, stock is hollow and forend flexes, package scope is garbage. All of which is fixable, if you're willing to do a little work, spend a little money. If not, go used, but you still need to know what you're getting into.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 PM

I have an axis in .243. Awesome gun for the price. Few years back I bought a 770. The only thing comparable with the 2 is they are both black. The bolt on the 770 had some sort of coating on it, almost like rubber. It made cycling the bolt a chore, sticky and jittery and if you didn't lift it slightly it would bind. Even after removing the coating and trying to polish the action it was still a pain. With the axis, you open the bolt, tilt the rifle and the bolt will slide on it's own, no way a 770 would do that.

Friends don't let friends buy Remington 770's lol
Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM

A lot of posters call the Axis ugly.I don't get it but that 770,man,even mothers don't love kids that ugly.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Banned

The Axis rifles are OK.
Like someone else said with a bit of tweeking they are pretty good value.
But..for a few dollars more you can avoid having to muck about with a brand new rifle...all of which costs money as well... and just buy a Vanguard and enjoy it.

I've had both... and the Vanguard is far better value if you can afford it. IMHO.

I don't know anything about those Remingtons.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Default Vangaurd

I have a S1 Vangaurd in .338 with a wood stock, The plastics are cheaper yet. I love it so far shoots great for the money I paid for it. But I am looking at a Axis in .223 or .243 just for the price point ? So I dunno
Old 08-02-2013, 06:27 PM

I would take a look at the remington 783, ruger american,and the browning a-bolt3 if your willing to spend a little more money. But the axis is very good for the money with a little tweaking and a different scope.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 PM

I have a savage axis 30-06 in the camo finish, I have yet to take game with it, but I have yet to miss my 6" steel plate at any range up to 380 meters.

It is nothing fancy but I look at it as a tool and it gets the job done

I have a $20 hammer and a $350 one I hit the nail on the head every time with both, granted the wood one does not look as good. that said I never hesitate to grab the wood one, I always think twice about using the Estwing.

V
Old 08-02-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Here is a link for a search I did on the Savage Axis
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/searc...rchid=11091576

Depending on what your budget is look at the Weatherby Vanguard. I have one as well as a Savage Axis. I can see myself keeping the Weatherby for a long, long time. I can see myself wanting to get a nicer rifle for hunting and the Axis sitting in the safe as a back-up of having one of my boys start out on it. The Axis does the trick but there is little pride of ownership for me.
Pride of ownership can also come from the work you've done and the improvements you've made.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khornet View Post
Looking at the Savage Axis and the Remington 770. Does anyone
have experiences with either of these? How do they perform? The value seems to be there
for the cost, but just wondering how they are. I tend to have a bit
of a lean towards Remington.
Don't lean towards either. They are junk, pieces of chit, crap, that's my opinion, and I have friends that love their Axis and I apologize ahead of time. They are crap chit junk.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Pride of ownership can also come from the work you've done and the improvements you've made.
The only way to improve either of those POS is to turn them into tire irons.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
I have a savage axis 30-06 in the camo finish, I have yet to take game with it, but I have yet to miss my 6" steel plate at any range up to 380 meters.

It is nothing fancy but I look at it as a tool and it gets the job done

I have a $20 hammer and a $350 one I hit the nail on the head every time with both, granted the wood one does not look as good. that said I never hesitate to grab the wood one, I always think twice about using the Estwing.

V
Right here, Its a tool. The savage works great at killing things I definatly get the more you spend obviously your gonna get a nicer rifle. But for guys looking at a budget buy, maybe money is tight for them due to a baby or single income house hold that sorta thing and saving up a couple more hundred bucks is the difference between them hunting this year or hunting 2014.

The savage axis IMO is a great budget rifle, for the price range. Compared to similar rifles in that range it is probably the best Besides NO-ONE is happy with just one rifle, but you only need one to go hunting
Old 08-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Right here, Its a tool. The savage works great at killing things I definatly get the more you spend obviously your gonna get a nicer rifle. But for guys looking at a budget buy, maybe money is tight for them due to a baby or single income house hold that sorta thing and saving up a couple more hundred bucks is the difference between them hunting this year or hunting 2014.

The savage axis IMO is a great budget rifle, for the price range. Compared to similar rifles in that range it is probably the best Besides NO-ONE is happy with just one rifle, but you only need one to go hunting
This "it's a tool" garbage gets to me. Anyone that is serious about using their tools spends good money on quality items. It's the weekend warriors that shop for their tools at Walmart.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This "it's a tool" garbage gets to me. Anyone that is serious about using their tools spends good money on quality items. It's the weekend warriors that shop for their tools at Walmart.
Not always, iv seen on more then one occasion people who have nice tools whether it is a firearm or actual tools, who DO NOT use them for fear of damage, sure they look nice, but whats the point if your not gonna use the thing?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Not always, iv seen on more then one occasion people who have nice tools whether it is a firearm or actual tools, who DO NOT use them for fear of damage, sure they look nice, but whats the point if your not gonna use the thing?
Not using it because you choose to is better than not using it because it doesn't work.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Not using it because you choose to is better than not using it because it doesn't work.
lol, Well the axis I have works like a hot damn. It aint no 1000 rifle but kills em just as dead