Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

The powder book lol Stephen Harper has bought a lot of powder
Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70fastback View Post
the 1 thing that ticks me about the pal system is when I want to look at a firearm I'm asked for my pal but when I ask them if they have theirs the answer is they don't need one to handle the gun.. just my rant for the day....
When I bought my gun from BPS, over the holidays, they stated two reasons for it. One - Ammo is on the floor and two - they are to busy to have unqualified tire kickers wasting their time.

I like reason two.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD HAMMER View Post
Was at Peavey Mart they would not sell me pellets for a air gun without my PAL they got told wear to go and i want to speak with the manager and he told me the same thing so i showed him my PAL then i told him to pound sand and left .

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Some knob employee at the Canadian tire in swift current refused to sell my buddy some clays without producing a pal. You are also not allowed to carry the box of clays tithe counter ? With a flip of the bird a d a drive across the parking lot friggin Wally world got a few more Canadian dollars. I hate supporting an American company but if these other guys want to keep shooting themselves in the foot what do you do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Right on Rocky.

Since when is it the customer's job to train staff?

Why wait for your rights to be taken when you can give them away, to someone who doesn't have a clue what they even are.

I'll bitch just like Rocky7, so others after me may not have to. It should not be the consumers job to enlighten staff, but when necessary, do it. Educating the masses on Firearm related laws helps all shooters. The LGR would not be close to death without those people who took the time to educate the ignorant.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Guys, it is as simple as Apple Pie, if you do not like the "Store Policy" Do Not shop there.
Eventually they will get the idea.
As for people getting rude with the staff at these stores, do you really feel more better after the rant? (spelling/grammar pun intended)
The store can and does set policy, no matter how absurd it may seem to those of us in the know.
Tight Groups,
Rob
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Guys, it is as simple as Apple Pie, if you do not like the "Store Policy" Do Not shop there.
Eventually they will get the idea.
As for people getting rude with the staff at these stores, do you really feel more better after the rant? (spelling/grammar pun intended)
The store can and does set policy, no matter how absurd it may seem to those of us in the know.
Tight Groups,
Rob
I agree somewhat......they set the policy if you want to buy the product then.....

The other side I see is that when the store employees do not know the rules then "politely" tell them.....if they still resist, then contact the managers, if they still resist.....then take your buying power elsewhere.

Honestly coming accross like a bull in the china shop just makes the not-knowing employees think that us gun toting lunatics....are lunatics

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM

No need to get testy with the cashiers/staff that ask to see your PAL when they aren't required to. It happens to me at Basspro/WSS etc. pretty well every other time I purchase components, etc. When they ask if I have my PAL with me I usually say "Yes, but you don't need to see it for any of these items." and I've only had someone not take my word for it once.

Why should I get worked up at a small error like that? All it takes is a small correction on my part and if it's done politely and in a friendly manner then I'm making it easier on the next guy to come through. I still get my way, and if I don't I smile and say I'd like to speak to their supervisor.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
No need to get testy with the cashiers/staff that ask to see your PAL when they aren't required to. It happens to me at Basspro/WSS etc. pretty well every other time I purchase components, etc. When they ask if I have my PAL with me I usually say "Yes, but you don't need to see it for any of these items." and I've only had someone not take my word for it once.

Why should I get worked up at a small error like that? All it takes is a small correction on my part and if it's done politely and in a friendly manner then I'm making it easier on the next guy to come through. I still get my way, and if I don't I smile and say I'd like to speak to their supervisor.
x2, well said Shawn. No need to get in an argument with the 16 year old cashier. They dont know any better and yelling at them to get your point across doesnt help. You turned something so miniscule into something that its not because you wanted to be right.

Really, who cares? If they asked to see it, either show it, inform them that it is not need for this purchase and why, or shop else where.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The other side I see is that when the store employees do not know the rules then "politely" tell them.....if they still resist, then contact the managers, if they still resist.....then take your buying power elsewhere.
Pretty much what I said.

Glad to hear others feel the same way. Very glad. We should support our friends in the business world. That requires knowing who our friends are.

On the education side, no business is going to change the way they do business if they don't know it's costing them money to act like a Gun Zombie. I make sure they know. Politely, but in no uncertain terms. After that, they can make their choices and I'll make mine.

Conversely, I go out of my way to support our friends. I buy more than I have to at the Sportsman's Den in Red Deer and for prices that are a tad higher than places like C.T. because Dale has his head screwed on right. I've told him that, too. I do buy some stuff at C.T., but the guys there also know I'd buy more if they dropped some of their phobias. For the most part, they see my point and are sympathetic. I've asked them to relay my opinion to management. Sorta like a voluntary customer survey.

Same goes for Chapters. I went in last year looking for a book on gunsmithing. They didn't have any. Odd. On a hunch, I went and looked at their magazine rack. No hunting or gun magazines. I asked "Why not" and found someone in the store who would tell me. Turns out their corporate brain trust in Ontario won't allow them to stock shooting/hunting books (although they will order one for me. In a plain brown wrapper, no doubt.) I asked for the manager and told him that I would never again buy a book at Chapters that I could get elsewhere and I told him why - I am a committed hunter and gun owner and do not appreciate for-profit businesses getting into the social engineering arena nor denigrating something that is important to me. Nor will I support a business that is, in effect, enabling censorship and supporting gun control advocates. It offends me and it insults my values. You don't have to raise your voice to do that, but I guess a couple of people at the counter probably overheard some of it and that's ok, too. I tried to be as civil as possible. Now, they can then choose what to put on their shelves; it's a free country. I just want them to know in no uncertain terms that, for some us, their choices result in lost revenue.

It's not about being rude. It's about deciding what I will, and will not, go along with and letting that be known where it might make a difference.

I'm all done going along to get along. If that makes me look like a redneck to some - oh, well. If I overstep, I'll apologize. If I don't, I won't.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM

For someone making minimum wage as a cashier I don’t expect them to know every law, or detail…

Who really cares seriously… at the end of the day if they ask you to show your PAL… it takes you all of what 2 seconds…?

Relax buddy

Old 01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Come on... Some men just have to be like this to rationalize the size of their ...... Let's be understanding towards these gentlemen, I suppose it's not really their fault.
That's the best you can bring to the discussion. Pitiful really.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 01-03-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
That's the best you can bring to the discussion. Pitiful really.
X2.....some people just want to be heard Redfrog

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Pretty much what I said.

Glad to hear others feel the same way. Very glad. We should support our friends in the business world. That requires knowing who our friends are.

On the education side, no business is going to change the way they do business if they don't know it's costing them money to act like a Gun Zombie. I make sure they know. Politely, but in no uncertain terms. After that, they can make their choices and I'll make mine.

Conversely, I go out of my way to support our friends. I buy more than I have to at the Sportsman's Den in Red Deer and for prices that are a tad higher than places like C.T. because Dale has his head screwed on right. I've told him that, too. I do buy some stuff at C.T., but the guys there also know I'd buy more if they dropped some of their phobias. For the most part, they see my point and are sympathetic. I've asked them to relay my opinion to management. Sorta like a voluntary customer survey.

Same goes for Chapters. I went in last year looking for a book on gunsmithing. They didn't have any. Odd. On a hunch, I went and looked at their magazine rack. No hunting or gun magazines. I asked "Why not" and found someone in the store who would tell me. Turns out their corporate brain trust in Ontario won't allow them to stock shooting/hunting books (although they will order one for me. In a plain brown wrapper, no doubt.) I asked for the manager and told him that I would never again buy a book at Chapters that I could get elsewhere and I told him why - I am a committed hunter and gun owner and do not appreciate for-profit businesses getting into the social engineering arena nor denigrating something that is important to me. Nor will I support a business that is, in effect, enabling censorship and supporting gun control advocates. It offends me and it insults my values. You don't have to raise your voice to do that, but I guess a couple of people at the counter probably overheard some of it and that's ok, too. I tried to be as civil as possible. Now, they can then choose what to put on their shelves; it's a free country. I just want them to know in no uncertain terms that, for some us, their choices result in lost revenue.

It's not about being rude. It's about deciding what I will, and will not, go along with and letting that be known where it might make a difference.

I'm all done going along to get along. If that makes me look like a redneck to some - oh, well. If I overstep, I'll apologize. If I don't, I won't.
Chapters , Walt Disney , Toysrus , Star Bucks , Formerly Cooper Rifles. Are all against firearms
Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM

While buying a White box of Remington UMC ammo at WSS over the holidays, I placed my PAL on the counter without the clerk asking. She proceeded to lecture me that the PAL wasn't required because I was only buying a box of "Cartridges".
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass23 View Post
While buying a White box of Remington UMC ammo at WSS over the holidays, I placed my PAL on the counter without the clerk asking. She proceeded to lecture me that the PAL wasn't required because I was only buying a box of "Cartridges".
LMAO....seriously! that cracks me up. I guess I will just ask for cartridges from now on......save me some hassle.

I would imagine that mangement @ WSS would be interested in hearing this and working on correcting it.

At a BARE MINIMUM....you would think that places that sell ammo would have an orientation program to run employees through that would outline requirements.....heck how can a non-PAL holding person provide anything to a PAL holding person? Might as well let minors serve alcohol.....it is the same thing!

LC
Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 PM

This reminds me of the time I stopped in Edson for a box of ammo, had no problem showing them my PAL but they also scanned it into a computer, then asked me for my phone number and address so they could enter it in some record book, when I refused to give the info they informed me that it was req by law, still refused and told then that was BS, the thing that really got to me is that 3 other hunters were in line and they told me it's been like that for years! Absolute BS, if any store is in the business of selling firearms and ammo they better know the law, no exuse! This crap really gets me wound up as well!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:34 PM

With what the labour market is today, every company will have its challenge in keeping their associates with up to date information. Some companies do a great job but many associates dont care or some do and just say what they were told.

Gen now era is very different then when I grew up, they will leave jobs for .50c an hour more, or better hours, no work ethic and and and .......... that is society today, that is a whole different conversation.

I guess one has to pick and choose your battles and unfortunately not in my top 10. Better ways to educate , address and deal with then one employee at a time, but I have bigger challenges. All the power to you but agree wiht others that you can get more done using honey than vinegar
Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Banned

My RPAL resides in my wallet. For the most part, where I shop, I don't have to present it as I'm on a first name basis with the shop owner. But whenever I happen to shop elsewhere and I'm asked to present it, it takes a mere 10 seconds to pull it out and everything goes according to plan. Lunatics on the other hand are bound to have a hissy fit, pump up their chest and get into a crap sligging contest with a little girl or a young guy who although uneducated as to the legitimacies of it all, is basically earning cash to put bread on the table or is saving to purchase his/her first gun. And as far as Glen's reply, I've known him for a lot of years, going back to Russel's days. Great guy, I've purchased quite a few firearms, components and reloading equipment from him. Now, I suppose he'll be painted an anti, liberal or dipper. Sad state of affairs indeed.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:11 PM

What part of refusing to show papers when not needed makes someone a brute who is beating up on the poor clerk?

I have refused to show mine, which also resides in my pocket. I didn't have to yell at the clerk, or demean them, I simply explain that a PAL is not needed for this particular purchase.

Writing a letter asking to have the staff better trained should also be acceptable. Know your target market, and run your business accordingly.

I do not spend a great deal of time, nor money in stores which require seeing my PAL to handle a firearm. I carry it and can show it if I have too, but I prefer not to. In this case it is store policy, so rather then complain to the clerk, who is just doing their job, I just take my business elsewhere when possible. I don't even go so far as a boycott, but I do make a real attempt to find other places to make my purchases.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
lol
Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar270 View Post
What part of refusing to show papers when not needed makes someone a brute who is beating up on the poor clerk?

I have refused to show mine, which also resides in my pocket. I didn't have to yell at the clerk, or demean them, I simply explain that a PAL is not needed for this particular purchase.

Writing a letter asking to have the staff better trained should also be acceptable. Know your target market, and run your business accordingly.

I do not spend a great deal of time, nor money in stores which require seeing my PAL to handle a firearm. I carry it and can show it if I have too, but I prefer not to. In this case it is store policy, so rather then complain to the clerk, who is just doing their job, I just take my business elsewhere when possible. I don't even go so far as a boycott, but I do make a real attempt to find other places to make my purchases.
Really? So then rather than spending the 10 secs. that it takes to pull the PAL outta the wallet, and get on with the purchase or the handling of the firearm, you drive all the way to another store to handle the same firearm which may or may not be stocked makes sense? In Calgary, that means going from WSS to BP way the heck out in the north end. Awesome logistics. Last time I was at WSS, I wanted to look at a pistol, I was asked to show my RPAL and same goes for the Calgary Shooting Center. Some lunatics are truly taking this issue way out of context and making this a most unpleasurable experience. It's not a perfect world, not everyone is as "experienced" with the rules and regulation as the lunatics are. You got a problem, take it up with a higher authority than the poor saps behind the gun counter. But a word of wisdom before you take it up with the "higher" authorities, learn how to use a spell check first and don't come off as a lunatic.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 PM

First you should work on your reading comprehension, at what point did I say I was going to take anything out on the staff working the counter? They are not on commission, so they are not hurt that I don't buy the gun from them.

Secondly before you start going on about my use of spell check, perhaps you should reread some of my posts. I may not have perfect grammer and spelling in all my posts, but it's as good or better then 95% of the posts I read online. In fact you could learn to use paragraph breaks before you cast too many stones.

Lastly if I choose to drive to a different store, that is my perogative, I am not asking you to do the same. I've travelled hundreds of miles to gun shows with no intention of buying a gun, so travelling to a different store where I feel I am treated better is well worth it to me. Although I rarely have to, because I tend not to frequent the stores where I am not treated well unless they are the only place I can find what I need.

I'm not sure why you are so offended about how I choose where to make my purchases.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:05 PM

It's been interesting reading the reactions. Trolls aside, I'm a tad surprised by the number of those who would keep quiet or regard it as unacceptable to speak out. I assume none of them cared one way or another that the LGR was squashed as they didn't see a big issue in just registering all their long guns notwithstanding the lies that were used to enact it and keep it.

Anyway, it's nice to know there are many others who would not have gone quietly to the back of the bus in order to avoid a scene with the bus driver who, after all, was only enforcing the law and not paid much money. Tolerating little losses of freedom is habit-forming.

Regards to each of you.

The cost of freedom is always high.... And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.
J.F.K.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
It's been interesting reading the reactions. Trolls aside, I'm a tad surprised by the number of those who would keep quiet or regard it as unacceptable to speak out. I assume none of them cared one way or another that the LGR was squashed as they didn't see a big issue in just registering all their long guns notwithstanding the lies that were used to enact it and keep it.

Anyway, it's nice to know there are many others who would not have gone quietly to the back of the bus in order to avoid a scene with the bus driver who, after all, was only enforcing the law and not paid much money. Tolerating little losses of freedom is habit-forming.

Regards to each of you.

The cost of freedom is always high.... And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.
J.F.K.
Bet you didn`t think there were that many "closet" liberals and anti-freedom advocates on this board eh ??
Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned

Firstly, I couldn't careless as to where you make your purchases, truthfully I couldn't careless about as to how you move along. I did put you and Rocky7 in the same basket and that other dude that started the thread with the Poll, where out of 7 words, he spelled 3 of them incorrectly. He did manage to get "be" and "and" correctly which statistically speaking makes him look like either a clown or a retard. Look, to be honest with you, I do agree with "some" of your statements, but NOT all. So, should you want to approach educated people in Parliament in your quest, then he or you would have to sound educated, beyond kindergarden. I am not opposed to handguns, just opposed as to how they might be used in the wounding of defenseless animals. Perhaps, there is a slight way that we stand alike on these points. Hopefully as I am as much an advocate for gun owership as you are, I just dont' see it as a free for all.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM

I'm with ya on this one Rocky.

If we do not stand up for what is right, and proper, who the heck will.

A little push back does go a long way.

Dealing with the talking heads in managment is often a tiresome and trying persuit, but going into it with zero emotion, and lots of facts, will rule the day.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Regards to each of you.

J.F.K.
Posts like THIS are the reason I hadn't responded before, simply because it is not law, it was as store policy, and as far as insinuating all that di not respond are in favour of whatever law you think was being forced on us , you are mistaken.
However when you post crap like this you are basically telling me I lay down and let people run over me, so to you I say you have no idea what you are talking about.
Whatever way I would handle a particular situation is none of YOUR dammed business BTW!
Cat
Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Posts like THIS are the reason I hadn't responded before, simply because it is not law, it was as store policy, and as far as insinuating all that di not respond are in favour of whatever law you think was being forced on us , you are mistaken.
However when you post crap like this you are basically telling me I lay down and let people run over me, so to you I say you have no idea what you are talking about.
Whatever way I would handle a particular situation is none of YOUR dammed business BTW!
Cat
Most awesome post Cat, as always, you are most reasonable, either way!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Bet you didn`t think there were that many "closet" liberals and anti-freedom advocates on this board eh ??
Nope. Sure didn't.

Quote:
Dealing with the talking heads in managment is often a tiresome and trying persuit, but going into it with zero emotion, and lots of facts, will rule the day.
That's my sincere hope and expectation. Actually, it's mostly been my experience, too. It's good for the public to meet an ardent gun/freedom nut who speaks up but doesn't look like the snaggle-tooth redneck they might expect. But regardless, I will not support businesses that are contributing to the headwind and it can only help if they know it.

If that doesn't seem "reasonable" to some - oh, well.

For them that feel like getting mad, there's lots to get mad about. Have at 'er.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

You could always move to a more "reasonable" place by your standards. Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Egypt, Syria or a few others come to mind. You could simply party with the goats, sheep and 12 virgins and never have to deal with another display of your PAL. In fact, you could be with the man and show your true form instead of protesting the freedoms that this country has to offer which seemingly you don't appreciate. You could "twitter" and "facebook" your vacation abroad, I'd love to hear your reports with the brothers and sisters and really see a display of your manhood, or what's left of it....
Old 01-03-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I will not support businesses that are contributing to the headwind and it can only help if they know it.
They will forget about you.

You will also be back to bass pro shop in the future.

I would like to know what kind of gun nut would go to bass pro without a pal?

Whenever I head to any sort of hunting/outdoors store that sells any type of equipment that I may require my PAL for, I bring it. It prevents any sort of hassle. They ask, I provide.

Just wait until you need to show you PAL for anything that involves a firearm, then you'll be really upset.