Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 AM

I find it hard to believe that changes made by nosler only change poa by 10th of inches in my notes changing only the primer on any given proven load can move poa full inches and open or close groups buy full inches. Also have noticed this effect to some degree with different loss of the same powder. I do agree with the accubond bullet and have used it with great success in most of my big game rifles, however it sound like you got a sales rep promoting their product more than actual fact about how the product line performs lot to lot. Even though I'm a die-hard handloader it would be interesting to do a test using same brand different lot in the same rifle under same situation to see some real world data.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I find it hard to believe that changes made by nosler only change poa by 10th of inches in my notes changing only the primer on any given proven load can move poa full inches and open or close groups buy full inches. Also have noticed this effect to some degree with different loss of the same powder. I do agree with the accubond bullet and have used it with great success in most of my big game rifles, however it sound like you got a sales rep promoting their product more than actual fact about how the product line performs lot to lot. Even though I'm a die-hard handloader it would be interesting to do a test using same brand different lot in the same rifle under same situation to see some real world data.
They may keep the velocity close enough to keep the trajectory within tenths of an inch, but even with the velocity that close, the point of impact can change more than that at 100 yards, let alone at longer distances.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:34 AM
Banned

The conclusion that I have come to is that each time I buy new Nosler AccuBond bullets when I run out, is to make absolutely sure that they all have the same lot numbers, to buy a minimum of 5 boxes and to go out and shoot with the new bullets to insure that any variances are recognized and adjusted for by readjusting the turret on my scope.

In the end, even if I did start to reload, which I won't because I just don't shoot enough to justify the expense, I would still have to make adjustments to my scope as the primer, and powder would most likely not be identical to theirs.

On the other hand, if I were a person that shot a lot or was shooting competitively, I would definitely reload my own as I used to when I shot every weekend.

I thank you for your input because I was not aware of this, but am now educated!

Tags
270wsm, 300wsm, ballistics, sheep