Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 06:38 PM

Wow. Seems to be a bit of a touchy area. I do appreciate all the input and everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe a bit of clarity on my stance is needed. I have owned the $1100+ rifles. They were fantastic. However, I have also owned the $350 H&R specials. Guess what? They both put shots where I needed them. To me, fitting the need is more important than fitting the ego. I don't need a Weatherby or Lazzeroni to be a shooter-which, by the way chuck, I can afford. Neither of the rifles in question are overly impressive, but do the job of a simple beat-around bush gun.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:22 PM

I haven't spent much on any of my rifles and they all make me smile when I pull the trigger.

For instance, I have an older Marlin 30-30 that I think I paid $400 for, added a Vortex Sparc and its a great short range deer rifle.

Also have a Stevens 7-08 that I picked up used for $300, it has a really smooth action, added a rifle basix trigger, a limbsaver pad and a nice scope and now my 12 yr old daughter is going to hunt with it. Someday I might spend another $100 on it and put a Boyd's stock on it.

But the pride and joy of my budget rifles is a Traditions Deerhunter .50 cal muzzle loader that I got used but in mint shape for $150. I added a Bushnell First Strike red dot sight on it and I love shooting it. 5 lbs 15 oz loaded with the sight it's a joy to carry but a nasty b*tch to shoot with full hunting loads. It's supposed to be my daughters but maybe she'll trade me for the Stevens.

In the end, if the rifle hits what you're aiming at and makes you smile, who cares how little you spent?
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM

I got an old Stevens 325 30-30 bolt action I got for $50 two years ago. Might use it for my moose this year. Took it out earlier, 4 shots on to an aluminum pie plate at 100 yards. Not bad for open sights and Winchester power point ammo.