Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM

Default barbed wire trap/ porcupine hills/why locked?

I thought it would be a good thread to let people know how some people really don't use their heads, by almost taking taking others off. What if it were some kids that were all decapitated while out riding with their parents.i thought we only had sick people in the city!
Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 PM

My son told me about this a couple of days ago. I thought it was a fabricated story that was getting passed along. Apparently not.

Quote:
All of a sudden, I thought I saw a barbed wire fence and thought I was going into a fence so I ducked, put my head to my seat and somehow managed to get underneath the one wire that was there.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3401096/ba...arning-others/

I hope they find out who did this. Even if you are against OHV's, this is no way to take up the fight.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Banned

Yeah, why was the thread locked??
Old 04-25-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Yeah, why was the thread locked??
I'm not sure why, but the Mod seemed to be concerned that there was a reference to Facebook. And he also mentioned something about 'inappropriate comments' (which I could not find).
Old 04-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Gone Hunting

I suspect it was locked because it is BS.

I don't doubt that someone ran into some barbed wire somewhere. But suggesting it was a deliberate act of sabotage just doesn't make sense.

Of course it is possible, but it is much more likely that some fool was riding where he had no business riding and he paid the price. Then he cried foul.
Then some reporter looking to make his mark in the world took the word of this fool without doing any research and other fools pick up on it and make a huge fuss about nothing.

It happens in these threads all the time and it needs to stop.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-25-2017, 02:06 PM

It happened, i work in pincher creek apperently, farmers are tired of people cutting through fields backed on to crown land..

same link others posted on global news...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3401096/ba...arning-others/
Old 04-25-2017, 02:10 PM

So the Global news article (see Post #2) is 'fake news', and the RCMP are not investigating?

Interesting!
Old 04-25-2017, 02:10 PM

I think most of us use ohvs for puttering around looking at new country, taking our children for a ride in the country, or getting into our favorite hunting spots. This is definitely not the way by any means to show your dislike for them. This situation could have been a very sad story if some people were killed, out having fun with their friends and family.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropsbone View Post
I thought it would be a good thread to let people know how some people really don't use their heads, by almost taking taking others off. What if it were some kids that were all decapitated while out riding with their parents.i thought we only had sick people in the city!
This has nothing to do with the question of the thread topic
If you want to know why it was because I had to delete half of the posts in the original thread several days ago
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-25-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

I don't doubt that someone ran into some barbed wire somewhere. But suggesting it was a deliberate act of sabotage just doesn't make sense.

Of course it is possible, but it is much more likely that some fool was riding where he had no business riding and he paid the price. Then he cried foul.
Then some reporter looking to make his mark in the world took the word of this fool without doing any research and other fools pick up on it and make a huge fuss about nothing.

I find most of your posts pretty sensible, except for this one. I mean, seriously?? This is in two papers that I've seen so far (no not the Rebel), and there are pictures of the guys and wire on Snow and Mud's website. Take a look if you don't believe me. Is in the Land Use Section.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropsbone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I'm not sure why, but the Mod seemed to be concerned that there was a reference to Facebook. And he also mentioned something about 'inappropriate comments' (which I could not find).
The original thread was locked because of the comments I deleted And they were not getting any better.
The Facebook posts were spilling over into this forum
If people want to post crap like that they can do it elsewhere
Cat
Old 04-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't know what actually happened in this situation, none of us do.

We do know that land owners have a right to fence their property.
We also know that people do trespass, sometimes without knowing they are doing so, more often, knowing full well that they are trespassing.

Many of us also know that on these threads some people have some really warped ideas about what is legal and what is not, what is safe and what is not and what is fact and what is not.

If I were still a moderator I would not have locked the thread but I would support any mod that did.

Given the nature of these threads and the trolls that dominate them. Given that the matter is under investigation and that none of us know yet what really happened. Given the media's passion for stirring things up.

I agree, no good can come from discussing this incident on this site, at least until the facts are known.

The way some people use their OHVs it is only a matter of time till there is a total ban on their use on crown land.

I was a OHV owner and at present have one in my shed that belongs to my brother, and I use it.
I don't like what is happening any more then the next guy, but I have no faith in the idiots who ruin it for everyone else.
They have brought about restrictions in just about every thing we do and they have only begun.

Reasonable people would wait until the facts are know before jumping on any band wagon.

I hope that the majority here would be among those who are willing to wait and see how this all plays out.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-25-2017, 02:31 PM

This is happening alot, maybe not to this extreme, but in Fish Creek last year, people were intentionally putting trees on marked bike trails (CMBA approved/maintained single track) in dangerous spots. The trees were clearly cut and dragged (not wind fallen).

Sad when people think this is the way to deal with a situation.

This also happens alot in BC.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...trail-sabotage

3 years probation for intent. Can you imagine if she actually hurt someone?

I find it amusing that an "outdoorsmen" would be ok with this, no matter the situation.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:33 PM

The barbed wire has been happening in the Porcupine Hills for a while now. About 5 or 6 years ago barbed wire was found with a sign saying something among the lines of "your trails have been boobie trapped watch out".

I work with a guy who is related to the guy who got taken off his bike with this latest incident and it was deliberately put on a well known single track trail. Lucky he is just sore and bruised not seriously injured.

This is total speculation and impossible to prove but its likely someone local who is ****ed off with OHV coming off crownland onto private property, or a grazing lease holder who thinks he owns the land out there. Either way its disgusting.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
The barbed wire has been happening in the Porcupine Hills for a while now. About 5 or 6 years ago barbed wire was found with a sign saying something among the lines of "your trails have been boobie trapped watch out".

I work with a guy who is related to the guy who got taken off his bike with this latest incident and it was deliberately put on a well known single track trail. Lucky he is just sore and bruised not seriously injured.

This is total speculation and impossible to prove but its likely someone local who is ****ed off with OHV coming off crownland onto private property, or a grazing lease holder who thinks he owns the land out there. Either way its disgusting.

I'm very sorry to hear that.

It's got to be terrifying for responsible OHV operators and probably very frustrating for land owners who feel forced to take such drastic and illegal action.

A loose loose for everyone.

There are idiots on both sides of the fence, no pun intended. Unfortunately the idiots have no regard for the law, for other peoples lives, or for nature.

And we WILL pay the price for their ignorance no matter which side of the fence they are on.

And they are multiplying at an alarming rate.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-25-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I'm very sorry to hear that.

It's got to be terrifying for responsible OHV operators and probably very frustrating for land owners who feel forced to take such drastic and illegal action.
Agreed i would be pretty angry with people trespassing on my land out without permission. But going from trespassing to trying to rip someones head off with barbed wire is completely beyond me.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:02 PM

There's a lot of crown land in the Porcupine Hills... did this happen on private or public land?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:03 PM

There was no indication that the wire was strung private property was there ?
Cat
Old 04-25-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There was no indication that the wire was strung private property was there ?
Cat
That was my thought as well.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
There's a lot of crown land in the Porcupine Hills... did this happen on private or public land?
Happened on crown land.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
Agreed i would be pretty angry with people trespassing on my land out without permission. But going from trespassing to trying to rip someones head off with barbed wire is completely beyond me.
Agreed.

Defending or trying to rationalize that action in any way is also completely beyond me.

I hope it's resolved, and if the facts are as they've been presented, that it was on crown land, and it was completely intentional, I hope the perpetrator faces an attempted murder charge and a very severe penalty.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:02 PM

Somebody did something like that in Jasper on a Mountain bike trail last year or the year before. Believe it or not there is a law on the steps you have to take to close a trial even on private property, it takes over 6 months. Food for thought.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:45 PM

In the last few years some people have made some dirt bike trails in the porkies that never were there before. Some of these trails go through fences that separate different grazing areas. I have seen the fences cut so they can go through. If people would stay on existing trails then problems like this might not arise. Although this is not the way to deal with the vandalism that these dirt bikers are causing I do sympathize with the lease holders and other that graze cattle out there. Not to mention the trapper.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:48 PM

Not sure how to reply to this happening on my trapline.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 PM

If anyone wants proof just watch the video posted by James B called "trail cam Kandy". The dirt bikes on the video are not on any sort of OHV trail. And the last guy riding the horse is me! I have seen massive vandalism caused from the dirt bikers. I wish they could just ride the existing trails.!!!!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
In the last few years some people have made some dirt bike trails in the porkies that never were there before. Some of these trails go through fences that separate different grazing areas. I have seen the fences cut so they can go through. If people would stay on existing trails then problems like this might not arise. Although this is not the way to deal with the vandalism that these dirt bikers are causing I do sympathize with the lease holders and other that graze cattle out there. Not to mention the trapper.
It has been stated that this incident occured on public land.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
It has been stated that this incident occured on public land.
Yup. People graze cattle and trap on public land. And ride bikes quads walk Ect
Old 04-25-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
This what the talk at work is, crown land and short cuts going through people's land, their fences keep getting cut,
Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:

Keg, Iv seen first had these "traps". Iv also seen nail boards. I know the valley they were in. They are most def deliberately set out. I have pics of a couple "warning" signs about these traps. Ill see if I can dig em up. And for the record YES its on PUBLIC land
Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Keg, Iv seen first had these "traps". Iv also seen nail boards. I know the valley they were in. They are most def deliberately set out. I have pics of a couple "warning" signs about these traps. Ill see if I can dig em up. And for the record YES its on PUBLIC land
Attempted murder, RCMP need to catch these people and charge accordingly.