Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Default Trail cams

Hey guys,
Just wondering what you guys do with your trial cams and how often you check them over the summer months? Do you guys leave them out all season? How much time should I give without seeing anything before moving the camera?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:01 AM

I leave a few out all year the rest I pull . Depends what time of year it is if you're not see nothing if I don't see Nothin after a couple weeks I move

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 12:35 PM

Yep, I typically check them weekly if I have time, if not it'll be a couple weeks. If you let a camera sit for a couple weeks and don't see anything it's time to look for greener pastures.

The only other factor that I put in to camera is people stealing them. If I think there is going to be a fair bit of traffic by the camera for whatever reason, I will pull it down.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:01 PM

i have all my cams already out. Set the last ones up on the weekend. Seeing the animals grow and move can give you a ton of information and help with the future hunt. Favorite time is last 2 weeks of august. Sure is nice to set the trap when the animals have not been pressured all over the place.

I like to check mine about every 3 weeks or so. Mostly just to make sure they are functioning and lots of card room and battery. I dont want to lose the possible information they give me by being down.

I always change batteries come early august
Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 AM
Gone Hunting

I use my cameras more to monitor wildlife around my property then for hunting so I leave mine out all year.

I am not a scheduled sort of guy, I check them when I decide I want to see what's hanging around, which is usually roughly twice a year unless something shows up that I'm curious about. Mostly that means a bear or two.

My cameras will run for at least six months on a set of batteries so when they have been out that long I want to change the batteries even if nothing interesting is happening.

When I have used one of my cameras for other purposes I leave them in that location for at least two weeks before moving them.

I know that most animals do not appear in the same place day after day, they may not return to a trail or feed site for a week or more.
I reason that if they do not show up in two weeks they have probably moved and are hanging out somewhere else.

But I know that is not always the case, I also know that animal behavior can be unpredictable. But one has to decide whether to stay or to go some time and for me two weeks is long enough. If the animal isn't showing in that amount of time it's not worth my time to wait longer.

If I were scouting for hunting purposes I may shorten that to a week.
But never, for anything, do I follow a fixed schedule.
Wildlife doesn't so neither will I.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-26-2017, 06:48 AM

Hopefully get some out this weekend.

I usually try to go 3 to 4 weeks between checking them. If I get nothing in that time period I will move them.

As most of mine are on crown land, I take them down right before the start of rifle season here, which is Nov 1.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
Hey guys,
Just wondering what you guys do with your trial cams and how often you check them over the summer months? Do you guys leave them out all season? How much time should I give without seeing anything before moving the camera?
Got two that sit all season, change the batteries once a year and check the cards a few times just to see what kicking around in the back forty.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-26-2017, 02:41 PM

Mine will all go out within the next 3 weeks ( 10 cam's) I will then only check them maybe 3 times between May and very end of August. If you are checking them weekly in my opinion all your're doing is educating the animals as you are leaving scent every trip in and out and may also be educating the camera thieves as to where your camera's are if you are a bit careless with how you approach camera locations.
Later in fall I may check a bit more often but will try and do so on rainy days so my scent gets washed out really fast.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:51 PM

My hunting spot is 3 hrs away, one way lol. Mine go out first trip in Sept. Check each time we go back hunting, stay out till Nov 30th. Used in the summer to catch bottle pickers coming in the yard
Old 07-02-2017, 02:19 PM

I start putting mine back out around august and take most of them down after hunting season..