Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM

Default Elk Mount gift

Guys,
My wife's uncle has offered to give me his elk mount as a gift. I did a quick google search, but couldn't find anything regarding the requirements for me to legally take possession of it and transport it from his BC home back to Alberta. If anyone can provide info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 08:45 AM

Go to BC F&W website permit page

www.env.gov.bc.ca/pasb

Click on export pemit
Old 04-24-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

You should have in possession with the Gifted elk mount ,

* A bill of sale including the original elk tag and hunting licence number,
* Note ( for many years most zones in BC required Compulsory Inspection Certificates upon harvesting an elk) if the elk was taken in a zone and during those years, the Compulsory Inspection Cert may be of help,

* also if the Elk was harvested in a Treaty 8 zone in Northern BC ? The trophy will require a letter of Release from a Treaty 8 manager in order to have completely lawful possession and be lawfully able to transport the trophy out of British Columbia to another jurisdiction , these letters from the IR Treaty 8 manager can take several months, and get complicated,

enjoy
Old 04-24-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
You should have in possession with the Gifted elk mount ,

* A bill of sale including the original elk tag and hunting licence number,
* Note ( for many years most zones in BC required Compulsory Inspection Certificates upon harvesting an elk) if the elk was taken in a zone and during those years, the Compulsory Inspection Cert may be of help,

* also if the Elk was harvested in a Treaty 8 zone in Northern BC ? The trophy will require a letter of Release from a Treaty 8 manager in order to have completely lawful possession and be lawfully able to transport the trophy out of British Columbia to another jurisdiction , these letters from the IR Treaty 8 manager can take several months, and get complicated,

enjoy
Sorry but who keeps the original tags of the animals they shoot, especially if it was 10-20 years ago?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:39 PM

Thanks guys!
The elk was taken in Alberta, they moved to BC couple years ago.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
Sorry but who keeps the original tags of the animals they shoot, especially if it was 10-20 years ago?
I have the cancelled tags from every moose, elk ,Grizzy bear, Blk bear,deer,sheep etc I have killed since 1966

Furthermore it is mandatory in BC to have species licence for AlL mounts, hides, antler mount in your possession , no matter WHEN or by WHOM they were harvested,

Without documentation they can be seized by MOE until documentation proof has been satisfied by the MOE
Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM

Default Clarification on the Elk Head.

This Elk was harvested in 1989 in WMU314 in ALBERTA. Since then it has moved twice and never a problem! And no, I don't have the tag from 28 years ago!

It has hung on my walls for 28 years and I simply want to get rid of it (retired)! Am I a threat to wildlife? Do I need a permit to give it to a relative after all these years? Sometimes I wonder what country we live in?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I have the cancelled tags from every moose, elk ,Grizzy bear, Blk bear,deer,sheep etc I have killed since 1966

Furthermore it is mandatory in BC to have species licence for AlL mounts, hides, antler mount in your possession , no matter WHEN or by WHOM they were harvested,

Without documentation they can be seized by MOE until documentation proof has been satisfied by the MOE
Unless the tag is still attached to the critter, and not likely on a bear or the new style tags that go on the hock, how can you prove it is related to the mount?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:28 AM

Betting 90% of legally harvested mounts hanging on walls have no documentation especially if they are older.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Betting 90% of legally harvested mounts hanging on walls have no documentation especially if they are older.
Then they can be confiscated by F&W at any time until proof if legality can be shown, just because a mount or rug mount is a few years old doesn't excuse the wildlife item from needing F&W or Export/Import documentation ,,

And even more so, in the circumstance of species protected by C.I.T.I.E.S.

Seems to be a really hard concept for some to get a grip on,
Old 04-25-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Then they can be confiscated by F&W at any time until proof if legality can be shown, just because a mount or rug mount is a few years old doesn't excuse the wildlife item from needing F&W or Export/Import documentation ,,

Some needs to get a grip alright. Ever been to a tavern or an Elks Hall and see the mounts on the walls?

Where do you think those came from? Are F&W busting down the doors to see proper documentation?

Hang your Uncle's elk on the wall and enjoy it.

Looper
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:

So how would one prove that a purchased tag is related to a mount on a wall?
There would have to be reasonable grounds that a mount was illegal for F&W to confiscate it.
The burden of proof lies on both sides.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 PM

Only documentation I have is the receipt from the taxidermist. Has the license number on it so I assume that's proof enough.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Only documentation I have is the receipt from the taxidermist. Has the license number on it so I assume that's proof enough.
Should be enough, but it would be hard to prove that the animal on the wall was the one the taxidermists receipt is for.
They plug sheep horns with a number and that is supposed to keep track of them, yet there are rumours that people are taking plugs out of legal sheep heads and putting them into illegally taken sheep to legitimize them.

It could be costly to defend oneself against an overzealous prosecution if for some reason authorities were out to get you.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 AM

ive always thought that mounts do not require any documentation.
i know that raptors and such have to forfeited to the crown.
and found dead animals with a cerfitate of ownership...
so to stir the paint...when i go to elk hunt ranch and get a 500" beauty, what then?

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 11-16-2019, 08:13 PM

If you bring it through a national park theres a permit required. I was pulled over by a warden while moving through Jasper and was informed the mount seen through the canopy window required a permit.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:17 PM

Once the meat is in the freezer and the taxidermist/butcher is satisfied the tag goes in the garbage.... you think every mount in cabelas, wholesale sports, museums, sports shows, outfitters cabins, etc the original harvester has the tags to go with it? As always with our modern life if someone has the money to challenge you will always have problems but, grandpas old mount from 1975 should be the least of our concerns although everyday I seem to be surprised...........