Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-22-2017, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
It's not todays vehicles that concern me. It's some of the nuts behind the steering columns that are the problem. Those haven't changed one bit. Just more of them.
I don't care about the nut behind the wheel, that's not what this is about. It IS about today's vehicles, and today's speed limits.

Have you ever driven to Fort McMurray? Especially during the glory days between 2007-2010? You want to see a nut behind the wheel? I drove it often, and some of the idiots I came across on that hiway were unbelievable. Most close calls were caused by people passing slow moving vehicles. If everyone was doing the speed limit it would have been a much less stressful journey.

Those nuts you are referring to are the same people that will be half of the recipe for lafarge's road hazard project. The slow moving vehicle is half the problem, the traffic they inhibit is the other half.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:38 PM

I've been a truck driver for almost 23 years, my first job was with westcan when I was 18 years old and we had to run 90 km all the time. It was fine on the double lane highways but when on the single lanes, the traffic would back up and people would start taking huge risks. Hwy 43 was an absolute nightmare to drive for us when it was single lane. When they finally allowed us to run 100 people seemed to be a little more patient. Just my observation from personal experience.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Ask yourself if most of the hiways in Alberta are twinned.....
Thanks you know best! Sorry for trying to voice an opinion.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
I've been a truck driver for almost 23 years, my first job was with westcan when I was 18 years old and we had to run 90 km all the time. It was fine on the double lane highways but when on the single lanes, the traffic would back up and people would start taking huge risks. Hwy 43 was an absolute nightmare to drive for us when it was single lane. When they finally allowed us to run 100 people seemed to be a little more patient. Just my observation from personal experience.
A friend of mine has been driving truck for about 40yrs and said the exact same thing.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Ya I agree I guess my comment was geared around double lane highways and the need for big rigs to slow down.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I am not specifically a "professional driver" but I put on a lot of business miles in a year (16,500 since January 20th) and slow moving vehicles seem to get people taking needless risks.

LC
Old 04-22-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I don't care about the nut behind the wheel, that's not what this is about. It IS about today's vehicles, and today's speed limits.

Have you ever driven to Fort McMurray? Especially during the glory days between 2007-2010? You want to see a nut behind the wheel? I drove it often, and some of the idiots I came across on that hiway were unbelievable. Most close calls were caused by people passing slow moving vehicles. If everyone was doing the speed limit it would have been a much less stressful journey.

Those nuts you are referring to are the same people that will be half of the recipe for lafarge's road hazard project. The slow moving vehicle is half the problem, the traffic they inhibit is the other half.
I really don't think the number of Lafarge trucks around the city will make one iota of difference to the overall traffic scene. Some drivers will always find a reason to do something stupid. Unfortunately, it is often the other drivers and passengers that pay the price. Over & Out.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:05 AM

Nothing wrong with driving heavy hual at the speed that works with the pay load on the unit.

Those that want to pass then pass.

Our job is too try too do the best we can all the time as long as we are behind the wheel.

A few years back a young fellow named John lost his life in front of me in a slow speed crash, I was able to rescue and save the passenger. Sad day for him, his family, friends, co works, his employer, me and all the folks in my circle too.

It took me many years too carry on as I still drive today.
I have practice my good driving skills from day one starting in 1976 as to today.

Don't thing that I've had some close calls before and after that day in 1994 either.

Do what you do as I do what I do in order to protect all the multi millions of units I drive with year after year, including my self.

When you long on 41 years and multi millions miles and hold a young man who has departed this planet, feel free too to PM me on what's needed too improve our roads and safety so we can all return home to our families.

PS: My story is nothing close to my long time friend or others that have seen and been in much worse collisions them mine.

For those that wish too know what happened in the accident between John and I, feel free to PM me as your hart will sink as you cry for him his parents and me.

If you think a slow heavy haul at 80 too 200.000 lbs + restricts traffic, then perhaps it's time to join us in our industry.

Not only do I drive heavy and light haul, I'm a motorcycle, car, Quad and Snowmobiler as well.

Don at doing what needs doing behind the wheels I drive.
I hope no one see what card me or others have been delt.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Yes a concrete mixer is much less maneuverable through traffic!
And it is set as a speed LIMIT to be driven under excellent conditions for all vehicles, with that I think its reasonable to assume that a concrete mixer loaded or not driving 10k under the max speed limit for any vehicle on the road is reasonable.
I understand single lane roads being a hazard because of passing. But I don't see the argument on multi lane highways. Also take in to concideration most of my driving g is done on relaxed rural highway 16 not hectic highway 2. But the hazards on highway 2 are the ones doing 140 swerving through traffic not the guy going 10 under.
Brad
I have to disagree with you Brad mixers are no different, and yes I've drin one I ran a tandem tandem for lafarge for 2 years, only time they are an issue is speeding when coming into or off of a merge corner. How many years have you driven truck.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-23-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Nothing wrong with driving heavy hual at the speed that works with the pay load on the unit.

Those that want to pass then pass.

Our job is too try too do the best we can all the time as long as we are behind the wheel.

A few years back a young fellow named John lost his life in front of me in a slow speed crash, I was able to rescue and save the passenger. Sad day for him, his family, friends, co works, his employer, me and all the folks in my circle too.

It took me many years too carry on as I still drive today.
I have practice my good driving skills from day one starting in 1976 as to today.

Don't thing that I've had some close calls before and after that day in 1994 either.

Do what you do as I do what I do in order to protect all the multi millions of units I drive with year after year, including my self.

When you long on 41 years and multi millions miles and hold a young man who has departed this planet, feel free too to PM me on what's needed too improve our roads and safety so we can all return home to our families.

PS: My story is nothing close to my long time friend or others that have seen

and been in much worse collisions them mine.

For those that wish too know what happened in the accident between John and I, feel free to PM me as your hart will sink as you cry for him his parents and me.

If you think a slow heavy haul at 80 too 200.000 lbs + restricts traffic, then

perhaps it's time to join us in our industry.

Not only do I drive heavy and light haul, I'm a motorcycle, car, Quad and Snowmobiler as well.

Don at doing what needs doing behind the wheels I drive.

I hope no one see what card me or others have been delt.

Pretty sure I trucked with ya back in those days...
Old 04-23-2017, 08:02 AM

Very likely we have crossed paths Hay-seeds.

It's easy for those that havent had the chance too drive heavy and medium haul trucks too judge from looking out side in,,, rather from inside out from behind the wheel.

On lookers at times think our big rigs should be up too speed at all time even though the roads look good and the skys are blue.
Is a slow truck factor due too pay load, driver not familiar with that unit in particular, first time driving in that area, the power too get up too speed and hold it there.

How much traffic is occupying the person driving this truck, all the road hazards, getting the long frame truck of 365" wheel base from or 400" long frame too turn the corner with out hitting the lamp post, stop sign, or other vehicles at intersections on left hand turns.

Getting the unit too location or sight facing the right direction so they can back into the staging area too off load.

This is with out ripping down power lines and by not wrecking the unit either.
Weather, drivers abilities, skills, pro active thoughts, advancement thoughts before get too one location. and 1000's of other factors including being partly tired.

Don't forget that none of us humans have never been tired behind of handle bars, steering wheel, joy sticks or standing in front of other work tools.

Alway easy too judge until one spends years and hours in all kinds of conditions across All of our Americas, and do this in heavy haul from Alaska, Mexico, West too East of millions of miles miles.

If folks think they can do any better then those of us that are seasoned, then by all means bring it on.

PM me at any time, and be willing too log on some miles in construction, oil patch, high way hual, fluid, gravel, cattle and most every thing that you see going up and down the roads.

We will chat at first too see if you have what it takes, then we will do some local short 1000 km runs threw out Western Canada before the both of us head too Eastern Canada,,, then will head south along the full length of the Eastern Sea Board.

She's 400 miles of endless cities in the top USA, thins out bellow Washington and Boston, but thinkens up in Georgia too Florida.

When we get back we head too BC too take on the mountains in the winter night skies packing 5 axle logging Wagons off the mountains with tire chains too prevent us from sliding off the glare icy roads.

Long hours my friends as you learn what it takes too do this for 7 too 14 years...

At this point we think we know enough, but at year 20 too 31 we soon realize we need more learning. At 40 too year 50 we soon realize that we only know enough too get us by at driving trucks, running push cats, husky 8's, farm equipment since its "all" related too traffic and driving skills... Most North Americans drive, so do the best you can, and hope that you never deal with the story as above.

From lots too learn Don as every time I turn the key my goal is for me and every person I pass, drive along side of, encounter all get a chance too return home safe and sound.

PS: If we get it right, then we all stand a better chance too reap the rewards of other Hobbies like our out-doors,,, hopefully in good health with out disabilities on account of our selves or by others.

Judge what our actions are is all we can do, waist of time putting our selves in other people shoes as it will not benefit us in the event if things go south.

Don

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 04-23-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

If Lafarge feels that their drivers are incapable of safely driving with the flow of traffic then they should spend the money to hire better drivers or train the one's they have to be better drivers instead of impeding traffic flow.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Speed threads. Can always count on them for action.

That and the Flames blowing up in the playoffs
Old 04-23-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
If Lafarge feels that their drivers are incapable of safely driving with the flow of traffic then they should spend the money to hire better drivers or train the one's they have to be better drivers instead of impeding traffic flow.
They employ a workforce of pylons apparently

LC
Old 04-23-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
"..For those that wish too know what happened in the a
ccident between John and I, feel free to PM me .
Tried PM'n you,
just got this though..
------------------------------------------------------------------

"Don_Parsons has chosen not to receive private messages or
may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore
you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients,
remove Don_Parsons from the recipient list and send the
message again. "
Old 04-23-2017, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They employ a workforce of pylons apparently

LC
And now they expect the public to cater to their incompetent drivers.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
And now they expect the public to cater to their incompetent drivers.
I have no dog in this fight ,BUT:
I am not sure where the incompetent Lefarge drivers part comes in , that was not stated anywhere and we do not know any of the details of any of these incidents - the crosswalk one or any other
Cat
Old 04-23-2017, 11:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
I completely agree. Cause traffic back up which results in frustrated drives who may take a chance they wouldn't normally have taken.
Yup stupid decision, travel the posted speeds if the conditions dictate safe to do, they got a real hammerhead at the helm of that decision making!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have no dog in this fight ,BUT:
I am not sure where the incompetent Lefarge drivers part comes in , that was not stated anywhere and we do not know any of the details of any of these incidents - the crosswalk one or any other
Cat
My point is lafarge, by their own admission has taken it upon themselves to reduce the posted speed limit to the public by using their cement trucks as "pace cars" under the guise of public safety. It is not their place to send out a fleet of traffic obstructions on the province to fulfill their specific needs.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
In my opinion driving 10km below the posted limit is as dangerous if not more dangerous than 10km over everywhere except residential streets.

http://m.edmontonsun.com/2017/04/21/...es-on-speeders

Thanks for the link, this explains a lot.

It’s one thing to have the average citizen bleed out to the left lane and drive less than the speed limit. A huge problem that’s growing by the day and is cumatively and directly the impetus for rashes of accidents, increased vehicular wear and tear, spiralling insurance rates, a pollution accelerator, driver frustration and road rage.

Corporations directing their employees to go onto our road’s street’s and highway’s drive their 100 + fleet of vehicles below the posted speed (day in day out) is truly disconcerting and boggles the mind.

Impeding traffic clogs our carefully and cleverly engineered traffic system and brings it crashing to it’s knees. At what point do these “other someone geniuses” grasp the big picture (that it’s illegal, narrow minded, dangerous, expensive and arrogant)?

In the meantime La Farge et al can and should be fined because safe heads up driving and the rules of the road apply to all of us.

Creeky....

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 04-23-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:18 PM

So why call their drivers incompetent ?
That article also doesn't t say they ARE being used to pace traffic but offered to
Cat
Old 04-23-2017, 12:20 PM

They ought to volunteer to take the police with them as ride along, to use them as ghost vehicles. Read an article about that being tried out, and being a very successful program. Really worked well with nabbing cell phone users.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM

Driving slow causes more accidents!!!

Quote:
According to state and federal studies, drivers that are driving significantly below the average speed are the ones that are most likely to get involved in an accident. Studies show that the most accidents occur when the driver is driving at 10 mph slower than the speed limit. So someone going 45 in a 55 has a bigger chance of getting into an accident than someone driving at 65-70 mph
https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/...-faster-safer/

If I were Alberta Transportation, I'd be stepping in and stopping this JOKE of a policy to continue.
Are going insane.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
So why call their drivers incompetent ?
That article also doesn't t say they ARE being used to pace traffic but offered to
Cat
I called their drivers incompetent out of frustration over their "one upping" policy. That's all this is about, "let's one up the competitors safety policy to show everyone how safe we are". Meanwhile it's the rest of the province that has to pay for their one upmanship.

Nobody if forcing their drivers to drive un safely, and never have. There hasn't been a rash of out of control cement trucks ravaging our streets, so what's the motive all of a sudden? It's a pr stunt that we all are now a part of.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:35 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has emailed La Farge yet and if you received a reply

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 04-23-2017, 01:07 PM

Sure lots of cars in the ditch this morning must have been driving to slow to take advantage of all the built in safety features of today's modern cars.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:18 PM

Default who pays the ticket?

so if a La Farge truck driver get's charged with impeding traffic, who's gonna pay the ticket?

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 04-23-2017, 01:25 PM

How many Lafarge trucks does anyone here honestly encounter in any given day? I live a little over a 2 KM from the big Lafarge concrete plant in Edmonton and I see maybe one a day, if that.

Props to Lafarge. Just I do hope this isn't the norm for every company. Makes a lot of sense for massive, heavy concrete trucks that travel a lot within the city.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Banned

Well good God! My eyes have been opened. I never realized driving cement trucks was so dangerous. Can't believe I survived driving the speed limit in gravel, grain and cement trucks when I was 16. (maybe a little younger )

We as a society need to step up to the plate and help Lafarge save lives. Get in front of the cement trucks and get on your brakes. If 10 under is a little safer then lets get them 40km/hr under and save the whole freaking world. We can do it! It takes a community.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
How many Lafarge trucks does anyone here honestly encounter in any given day? I live a little over a 2 KM from the big Lafarge concrete plant in Edmonton and I see maybe one a day, if that.

Props to Lafarge. Just I do hope this isn't the norm for every company. Makes a lot of sense for massive, heavy concrete trucks that travel a lot within the city.
What does a "massive, heavy concrete truck that travels a lot within the city" have to do with recording drivers and sending it in?????????

Edmonton has some serious issues with it's Vision Zero plan. You guys need a different city council. Yikes. Truly embarrassing that some think this is a good idea.
Are going insane.