Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2017, 10:44 PM

Default New Helmet Law Passed

Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) Helmet Law
Every year thousands of people are injured while riding Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs) in Alberta. According to the Injury Prevention Centre, many of those injuries involve head trauma for OHV operators who were not wearing helmets. During Fall 2016 the Government of Alberta decided to take action to address this public health concern.

The Alberta Legislative Assembly passed Bill 36, An Act to Enhance Off-Highway Vehicle Safety, on December 9, 2016. A new law requiring helmets to be worn by users of OHVs when riding on public land will be proclaimed on May 15, 2017.

Alberta will abide by CSA helmet motorized vehicle standards.

The fine for not wearing a helmet is $155. The fine for wearing a helmet that is not CSA-compliant is $93. Both fine amounts include the victim surcharge.

Exemptions

While the Government of Alberta recommends that all OHV users wear a helmet whenever riding an OHV, this law does not require OHV helmets for:

Individuals performing farm and/or ranch work.
Those individuals of the Sikh faith who feel helmet use is incompatible with religious observance and are wearing a turban.
Individuals performing work regulated under Alberta’s Occupational Health and Safety laws who are using an approved alternative safety measure.
Individuals operating an OHV on First Nations or Metis Settlement lands.
Individuals or groups that have been granted a case-by-case exemption from the Alberta Registrar of Motor Vehicle Services.
Individuals operating motorized vehicles that meet the standards for a vehicle designed for use on a roadway, has seat belt assemblies maintained in compliance with the Vehicle Equipment Regulation, and when seat belts are being properly worn.
Individual operating off-highway vehicles with manufacturer-supplied rollover protection and seatbelts, when seat belts are being properly worn.
For cases where such protections have been installed by a party other than the manufacturer, certification from an individual with P.Eng designation may be accepted by the Registrar, as per the previous bullet.

Last edited by Puma; 04-12-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Default Good to see.

Would never ride or let my kids ride one with out a helmet.
Sounds like the fine is about the same cost as a good helmet.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:55 PM

Ndp nanny state and it looks like there is going to be no end to the tax hikes and new regulations.I can't hardly wait for the next election to see the ndp party brought to there knees.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:00 PM

Another strike against personal freedom.
Even if not wearing a helmet is stupid, i want the freedom to make that stupid choice or not.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 PM

Our land boarders crown. I venture into crown land often. I won't wear one, come and find/fine me.

TBark
Old 04-12-2017, 11:04 PM

whew... good thing I'm a practising Sikh
Old 04-12-2017, 11:04 PM

I guess lots of people are fine with being babysat. I'm not, hopefully the next government that comes in repeals this ridiculous legislation. Government is there to protect you from others, not yourself. If you need to be told what to do please move to the middle east.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 PM

Of coarse the special people are exempt, and I am not talking about the farmers.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Another ridiculous law that wasn't needed.
"Exempt:
Those individuals of the Sikh faith who feel helmet use is incompatible with religious observance and are wearing a turban."

So Nanny enforcement of safety, except where religion interferes, then a towel is good enough?
As much as I despised the ruling, I can see where the wearing of a police hat was deemed "not necessary" and the turban could be worn, but this is supposedly to save everyone's life.

They can try to give me a ticket, I'll just whip out my towel and ask which way East is.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcountry View Post
Of coarse the special people are exempt, and I am not talking about the farmers.
If there was really such a safety concern, those exemptions would not exist.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 PM

Default ****ed

I putter along like an old man, dont see why a helmet is required.

Glad they took the results of their fake survey into consideration.

Nice list of exempt individuals, except yet again they forgot old fat men.

Cant wait for this nanny state govt to change.

Rant off.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:28 PM

Just curious what are the thoughts about seat belts?

Do you guys wear them? If yes what is the difference?

Just want clarification.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post

Just want clarification.
Essentially the same concept.

As long as other potentially life shortening habits are legal, we should not have to wear seat belts or helmets.

ps I wear a seat belt as often as I wear pants.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:38 PM

Default New Helmet Law Passed

Another law that now one will enforce. Just when they feel like being a pickle. Ps it sad the only word I can say is pickle in fear of the man
Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 AM

Nanny state blah blah blah. It's tax dollars that are being used when you're drooling, being spoon fed and pooping in your diapers.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Nanny state blah blah blah. It's tax dollars that are being used when you're drooling, being spoon fed and pooping in your diapers.
Nah, these AO members are invincible! It will never happen to them
Old 04-13-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
You got the stats on how many guys are hurt solely because they werent wearing a helmet? I mean no additional factors like being under the infleunce or excessive speeds. Im sure the number is high considering your giving up a freedom to the government.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:

Just want clarification.
I think if your in the car alone it should be optional. If theres anyone else in the car it should be mandatory. You can be a projectile in the event of a crash and inflict harm to others if not seatbelted. The same cant be said for riding a quad through the bush alone at 15km/h.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Nah, these AO members are invincible! It will never happen to them
No one is saying it cant. And most guys would wear a helmet anyway. What people are saying is they should be able to make a logical decision on whether they need a helmet or not. And not have it dictated to them by the government.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
Ndp nanny state and it looks like there is going to be no end to the tax hikes and new regulations.I can't hardly wait for the next election to see the ndp party brought to there knees.
Aside from the fact that they're purposely out to get you and Rachel Notley herself will be at your door by morning with her goons to take away your kids' lunch money, all that aside does wearing a helmet on a OHV not make any sense to you?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Essentially the same concept.

As long as other potentially life shortening habits are legal, we should not have to wear seat belts or helmets.

ps I wear a seat belt as often as I wear pants.
Interesting perspective.

Isn't each day, one day closer to death? Hopefully the nanny state wont make your tomorrows illegal
Old 04-13-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
No one is saying it cant. And most guys would wear a helmet anyway. What people are saying is they should be able to make a logical decision on whether they need a helmet or not. And not have it dictated to them by the government.
Yourself and I have been over this a few times. Always been good perspectives put forward.

I hate government infringement just as much as you, BUT It is funny because the injured person on atvs never really matter after the injury. Weird eh? The damage to them is done, irreversible.

What made this law get pushed forward wasn't exactly the injured rider, the costs associated with it, the burden etc. it is the family and healthcare works that have to deal with it.

The biggest voices for the law were healthcare professionals and injured people's family members. Dealing with that trauma is traumatic and takes a real toll on people. If this helmet law saves one breaking bad news conversation to a family, it is worth it.

Whenever I am speeding or doing something stupid I always think how terrible that phone call is going to be to my Wife, that conversation no one wants to have or be part of. I sure as heck do not want to be the cause of that phone call. If that law or any law makes me think about the consequences of my actions or unactions and prevent that phone call, Im all for it.

Ive seen it, Ive done it, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgriz View Post
Even if not wearing a helmet is stupid, i want the freedom to make that stupid choice or not.
Ditto
Old 04-13-2017, 03:49 AM

I know all four times I have come across people hurt in in Atv/utv incidents they were all drunk all driving excessive speed for the terrain, lack of expierance with the equipment in two cases were foreigners visiting friends family non of them were wearing helmets.
The wearing of the helmets would not have significantly helped their injuries.
Neck,spinal, broken collarbone, arm and leg, chest puncture wound and concussion in two of them.

As the paramedic at the scene of two incidents stated had they of been wearing a helmet we would more then likely be calling the coroner.

I wear a helmet when I go quad riding medium ton high speed. Anyone quadding with me has to wear one or I don't ride with them.
When I use my quad for hunting I usually do not wear a helmet putting along the road or trail. Anytime I go over 5kmhr or climb through any thing other then a smal obstacle I put my helmet on.

Now i will have to wear one all the time. And once that helmet becomes scratched up I will have to buy a new one to follow DOT law also won't be able to have non aproved stickers on it.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:56 AM

I say if you choose to not wear a helmet and if your hurt then you waive your right to free health care. So you or your family pays for your stay in the hospital. Why should my tax dollars go to treating injuries that were caused by someone else poor decisions?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:03 AM
Banned

Hey at least a guy can wrap a towel around his head to avoid a fine. I guarantee this is going to cause a quake when all the people who choose not to wear a helmet read the outline. Special treatment even when it comes to safety. Get your towels out boys.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:12 AM

One interesting ( and useless) note is that the bill excludes anybody working under the OHS regulations - strange thing is I have never seen any employees of any kind wearing anything but a helmet when operating or riding in an ATV be they surveyors , powerlinemen , maintainence workers, etc
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-13-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
whew... good thing I'm a practising Sikh
Me too

Gonna print off my card right now and put it in my wallet!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2017, 07:11 AM

Exactly the same whining I heard 35+ years ago when seatbelt legislation came into place. People are too immature to willingly do what's right to protect themselves and others, so the elected officials are forced to make the rules, similar to that of parents and children. Look at the idiots you still see on cell phones everyday, pinheads still don't care about their own, or more importantly, others around them safety........

I do agree that some of the exemptions don't seem right, such as for natives and Sihk's. The law should be the law.

Oh, and when seatbelt use became law, it was a different party in charge, so not sure who got blamed then??

Quote:

Just want clarification.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgriz View Post
I got "NO" problem with that, as long as you pay your Medical bill. But when my taxes have to pay your bill. Bring on the helmets.