Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Banned

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...un/A-p0432344e

When you get a new truck, get one of these and prepare yourself to get dirty
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalBornKilla View Post
its a 10 year old truck from Alberta of course you are going to have rust.
Thanks Captain Obvious, what people are trying to say is that if manufacturers built them so moisture wouldn't get into areas that never dry we wouldn't have these issues
Old 04-27-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Will pull the taillights and wash out again every so often as well.
What a brutal design flaw on these trucks...
It is all vehicles, its not a design flaw, it is a designed in flaw. If they wanted they could build vehicles that would last decades. They wouldn't sell very many new vehicles if they did that. The sooner a vehicle starts looking crappy the sooner people will trade it in.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It is all vehicles, its not a design flaw, it is a designed in flaw. If they wanted they could build vehicles that would last decades. They wouldn't sell very many new vehicles if they did that. The sooner a vehicle starts looking crappy the sooner people will trade it in.
What are your predictions for the new fords with aluminum bodies?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 AM

You know what they say. How do they sell more truck? Don't make them last so long. Welcome to the disposable society as joe's we will never win
Old 04-27-2017, 09:49 AM

Salt, we should not be using all the salt on the roads. It is bad for infrastructure, the environment, and my truck. I would be happy to replace windshields more often and use more gravel rather than salt.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
What are your predictions for the new fords with aluminum bodies?
We can only wait and see. Not singling out ford but ford has used more aluminum tailgates and hoods on many of their vehicles than most other manufacturers. One of the most common and noticeable are ford expedition aluminum tailgates and hoods that have been used for a decade or so and various other aluminum body panels used by many other manufacturers over the years you will see corrosion problems associated with aluminum after a few years and often prematurely early in a vehicles lifespan.

This vehicle was less than 3 years old at the time of filming in 2011, I can only guess what it looks like today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXTyCRh-q0

There are many other videos and many lawsuits over aluminum body panels corroding prematurely.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
We can only wait and see. Not singling out ford but ford has used more aluminum tailgates and hoods on many of their vehicles than most other manufacturers. One of the most common and noticeable are ford expedition aluminum tailgates and hoods that have been used for a decade or so and various other aluminum body panels used by many other manufacturers over the years you will see corrosion problems associated with aluminum after a few years and often prematurely early in a vehicles lifespan.

This vehicle was less than 3 years old at the time of filming in 2011, I can only guess what it looks like today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXTyCRh-q0

There are many other videos and many lawsuits over aluminum body panels corroding prematurely.
That looks remarkably similar to galvanic corrosion that you might find on an aluminum boat.

I'm not sure how you would deal with that on a pickup.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
Thanks Captain Obvious, what people are trying to say is that if manufacturers built them so moisture wouldn't get into areas that never dry we wouldn't have these issues
well maybe do something about it...perhaps get a degree in engineering and then a job at a vehicle manufacturer... Maybe you can make the difference.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
If they did that then they wouldn't be able to keep people on the hamster wheel of constantly getting a new one.

It's all about the company's bottom line.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
This is so true, whether it's intentional or not, it works. It's not unique to any manufacturer, either. On the other hand, I have a 2003 Avalanche with nearly 400,000 kms. Paint is all worn off over both rear wheel openings, no rust. Galvanized body panels. Pickups are bad in this area because mud gets up between the box side panels and wheelhouse panels, stays there and never dries out. All you can do is try to keep it washed out.
Old 11-05-2020, 11:12 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I pulled the 3 plugs out of the wheel well last night and removed the tail lights. Was able to get a pretty good look in there and it wasn't too bad, in any case, got the pressure washer right in there through the tail light entrance and cleaned it all out. Then sprayed a can of rust inhibitor in through the plug holes to really coat it all up. I'll likely do this regiment a couple times a year, worked great and should keep the rust out.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalBornKilla View Post
its a 10 year old truck from Alberta of course you are going to have rust.
None on my '03 S-10.

Nothing visible anyways.

I'm sure the use of Calcium Chloride again this winter in E-Town will take care of that though
Old 11-05-2020, 01:07 PM

2007 chev rear panels Above wheels
Old 11-05-2020, 09:20 PM

I have a 2009 GMC 2500HD with 140K. 1st thing I did was install aftermarket wheel well covers. I did it more for looks rather than protection. That being said I have no rust or any beginnings of rust over the rear fender wells so maybe they make a difference. Only rust I have is the front fenders where I drilled screws into the metal for mud flaps.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:15 PM

I have a 2012 GMC 3500 that is so far not having any rust issues. In conversation with a GM salesperson recently, it was suggested that trucks built in Flint, of roughly that vintage, weren’t having the same issues as trucks built in Oshawa. I do take the time to really spray the underside of my vehicles. Small investment of time versus repair/replacement.