Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-02-2017, 11:39 PM

Default New Slick Tricks Mechanical

Anybody here hear anything about these?

https://slicktrick.net/collections/o...ical-broadhead

I've had good luck using slick trick magnums 100 grains. Been thinking about trying out mechanicals.

Any thoughts on these?

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:27 AM

I'll be sticking to my magnums. As with any new broadhead, give em a few years for people to put them to use and report back. They look similar to the swacker and those aren't well liked.

Grim reapers are one of the very few mechanicals that have anything even close to a dependable reputation...sort of. If I wanted to try out mechanicals that's what I'd get. Whatever mechanical you buy, remember to avoid hard angle quartering shots, and make sure they don't open in flight, and they don't get gummed up by debris, and they don't freeze shut with condensation, and they don't open coming out of your quiver, and the blades swing freely....
Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I'll be sticking to my magnums. As with any new broadhead, give em a few years for people to put them to use and report back. They look similar to the swacker and those aren't well liked.

Grim reapers are one of the very few mechanicals that have anything even close to a dependable reputation...sort of. If I wanted to try out mechanicals that's what I'd get. Whatever mechanical you buy, remember to avoid hard angle quartering shots, and make sure they don't open in flight, and they don't get gummed up by debris, and they don't freeze shut with condensation, and they don't open coming out of your quiver, and the blades swing freely....
I always wondered what a Grim Reaper hard quartering would do, now I know and have 100% confidence. 40 yard shot from a tree stand. 100gr razortip 3 blade @ 295fps and a 390gr total weight arrow. Grim Reapers were actually designed to work on hard quartering angles, and they were first made with elk in mind.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-03-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I always wondered what a Grim Reaper hard quartering would do, now I know and have 100% confidence. 40 yard shot from a tree stand. 100gr razortip 3 blade @ 295fps and a 390gr total weight arrow. Grim Reapers were actually designed to work on hard quartering angles, and they were first made with elk in mind.

LC

Ignore the ^ show off lol....he would manage to kill a charging water buffalo in a school yard with a pencil, while simultaneously explaining the physics of trajectory and making out with the hottest teacher. Some guys just have that kind of luck.

Another thing regarding the slick tricks, I always sharpen the tips on a sharpening stone. would recommend the same for the mechanicals if you go that route.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Ignore the ^ show off lol....he would manage to kill a charging water buffalo in a school yard with a pencil, while simultaneously explaining the physics of trajectory and making out with the hottest teacher. Some guys just have that kind of luck.

Another thing regarding the slick tricks, I always sharpen the tips on a sharpening stone. would recommend the same for the mechanicals if you go that route.
Baahaaa thanks for the laugh, that was good!

LC
Old 04-03-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Lefty, that looks so yummy, now I'm craving elk steaks. Too bad I'm stuck in camp for another 10 days. I'll never see them serve elk here. Their beef is questionable enough!! I'm a fan of the slick trick fixed blades as well. I use the 100gr standards. Haven't tried the magnums yet, but I've had good performance from the standards. I'm too chicken to try expandables. Too many horror stories!
Old 04-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Biggest difference is these are all steel, whereas the Swhacker's are an aluminum ferrule.

I'd give them a try. They look good to me.