Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 02-22-2021, 07:40 AM
lromanchuk lromanchuk is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 550
Default

Fishing was slow on Sunday. Lots of marks, just couldn't get much to bite. Landed a few , missed a few. But slow over all.

Tons of ice and minimal snow. Very easy to get around. No major heaves to deal with. Best conditions I can remember in many years for lake travel.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 02-22-2021, 03:51 PM
Frank_NK28 Frank_NK28 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
Popped my cherry on Cold Lake today. Beauty 27 incher. And seen some neighbors catch 2 beautiful burbs. Question.. how deep can burbs be caught? Laker was caught at 90ft today and the burbs I saw were at 40ft. Wanna give myself the best chance as Im only here for a short time. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
I caught one last year in 93 fow banging a 5 1/2" tube jig off the bottom
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 02-23-2021, 08:39 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 19,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
Thanks. Here to hoping and another good day. Beautiful place.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Ya being 10 minutes from house to fishing is a blessing....sometimes we take that for granted....heading out today for a sit....peace and quit....maybe a laker or two
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:07 AM
shinpoe shinpoe is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Fishing was slow on Sunday. Lots of marks, just couldn't get much to bite. Landed a few , missed a few. But slow over all.

Tons of ice and minimal snow. Very easy to get around. No major heaves to deal with. Best conditions I can remember in many years for lake travel.
Would a small FWD hatchback be okay to head on the ice from the marina?
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:42 AM
lromanchuk lromanchuk is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinpoe View Post
Would a small FWD hatchback be okay to head on the ice from the marina?
I can't speak for the marina side, but the PP side would be fine with that unit. Keep in mind the wind can make some pretty large drifts in a small period of time.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 02-23-2021, 10:24 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 19,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinpoe View Post
Would a small FWD hatchback be okay to head on the ice from the marina?
your good to go....
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:01 PM
mikevv mikevv is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 32
Default This past weekend

Wife and I fished cold lake for the first time this year, Fished in front of the marina Sat afternoon - caught 3 and had 2 more hits. Fished 9 hours Sun - 2 fish. Fished 3 hours Mon morn - 2 hits. 2 fish on silver castmaster, the rest on home made feather and hair jigs tipped with minnows. All in all was a good trip but a lot of hours for 5 fish 59- 67 cm
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 02-24-2021, 08:12 AM
shinpoe shinpoe is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
I can't speak for the marina side, but the PP side would be fine with that unit. Keep in mind the wind can make some pretty large drifts in a small period of time.
mercy buckets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevv
Wife and I fished cold lake for the first time this year, Fished in front of the marina Sat afternoon - caught 3 and had 2 more hits. Fished 9 hours Sun - 2 fish. Fished 3 hours Mon morn - 2 hits. 2 fish on silver castmaster, the rest on home made feather and hair jigs tipped with minnows. All in all was a good trip but a lot of hours for 5 fish 59- 67 cm
Mike
bit of a drive for me as well but going in with no expectations besides crushing through my backlog of audibles and podcasts
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 02-26-2021, 07:28 PM
OL_JR's Avatar
OL_JR OL_JR is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 842
Default

Spent a few days this week fishing and pretty much as expected for this time of year, grind out a handful or so of lakers per day and enjoy the lake. Weather was awesome, lake travel awesome for the most part but had to pull a fellow out who got planted in some drifting way around Garnet heading north.

Quite a few came on set lines using the Konrad method with an egg sinker above a swivel tied to a single J hook. Big chunk of sucker tail seemed to be the deal. Need to tweak that set up a bit - very effective but to many fish take it to deep. Tried a regular quick strike rig as I don't seem to have issues with other species using that but fish left it untouched. Maybe to much gear for their mood.

In the end fun trip with good conditions couldn't ask for better.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 02-28-2021, 09:33 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 19,611
Default

a fish story...some fella caught a 32" er yesterday but upon reeling it up a huge mark came up from the bottom and hit his trout....an yup took line like no tomorrow....would not let go but after the struggle he only landed the 32" er that was chewed up a bit....if that doesn't get the blood flowing I don't know what would....
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 02-28-2021, 10:07 AM
simpatico simpatico is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 107
Default Not Biting?

We are out and marking fish. Had a couple chase but canít get them to bite. We have tried tubes, buck tails, spoons and nothing.

Any suggestions?

We did get into one on set line yesterday but couldnít get it through 8 inch hole. Atleast we touched it. ☹️Lesson learned now everything double holed today.

Thanks
Tony
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 02-28-2021, 10:22 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 19,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
We are out and marking fish. Had a couple chase but canít get them to bite. We have tried tubes, buck tails, spoons and nothing.

Any suggestions?

We did get into one on set line yesterday but couldnít get it through 8 inch hole. Atleast we touched it. ☹️Lesson learned now everything double holed today.

Thanks
Tony
Bites are coming off the bottom for the most part....90'-120' drops....areas that do this in a relatively short distance....fish it all...no rhyme or reason to what they want now....just mostly off the bottom or a few feet up.....

...Ö.man I would have grabbed that laker by the lips and got buddy to drill right by my hand....if it didn't fit in a 8" hole....that was a pig!!!!
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 02-28-2021, 02:54 PM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 3,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
a fish story...some fella caught a 32" er yesterday but upon reeling it up a huge mark came up from the bottom and hit his trout....an yup took line like no tomorrow....would not let go but after the struggle he only landed the 32" er that was chewed up a bit....if that doesn't get the blood flowing I don't know what would....
A few of use have hooked into him all ready. Feels like you hooked into a 20 ft log until it takes off and empties your reel. Next time I will be starting up my boat and following him so i can reel him in .
The big question is do you keep him or release him and let every one tell you that you photo shopped the picture.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 02-28-2021, 03:32 PM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 3,493
Default

Might not have been a bigger Laker !
Might have been a Big Northern Pike.
I have seen floating on the water and dead a large pike with a large walleye stuck in his mouths and it was the same size as he was .

This may explain the teeth marks.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 02-28-2021, 04:18 PM
Coiloil37's Avatar
Coiloil37 Coiloil37 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Quite a few came on set lines using the Konrad method with an egg sinker above a swivel tied to a single J hook. Big chunk of sucker tail seemed to be the deal. Need to tweak that set up a bit - very effective but to many fish take it to deep.

Probably preaching the the choir but a circle hook is the answer to that problem. Youíll pin them in the corner of the mouth every time.




I like these for easy fighting fish that arenít going to see more then 20lbs of drag.

Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 02-28-2021, 04:26 PM
OL_JR's Avatar
OL_JR OL_JR is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
a fish story...some fella caught a 32" er yesterday but upon reeling it up a huge mark came up from the bottom and hit his trout....an yup took line like no tomorrow....would not let go but after the struggle he only landed the 32" er that was chewed up a bit....if that doesn't get the blood flowing I don't know what would....
Kinosoo?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Probably preaching the the choir but a circle hook is the answer to that problem. Youíll pin them in the corner of the mouth every time.
Going to try that thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 02-28-2021, 05:01 PM
Coiloil37's Avatar
Coiloil37 Coiloil37 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,542
Default 2020/2021 Cold Lake Ice and Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Kinosoo?...







Going to try that thanks.






If you havenít used em before. Donít set the hook. Let them take it and then crank tight on them. Once they swallow it theyíre getting hooked and you want them to swallow it. Very rarely will the hook come back out without pinning them in the corner of the jaw.

Pay attention how you pass the line through the eye on them because one way sets the hook and one way will want to roll the hook out of their mouth. Some you can snell and some will have a rough spot where the eye is formed that will chafe the line if you snell it. If you tie a loop or knot on them you donít have to stress how the line passes through the eye. Itís just if you snell or are running the line through the eye and around the hook like that pic of the paternoster rig.

Couple different ways I rig them.

Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 02-28-2021, 05:45 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 19,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
A few of use have hooked into him all ready. Feels like you hooked into a 20 ft log until it takes off and empties your reel. Next time I will be starting up my boat and following him so i can reel him in .
The big question is do you keep him or release him and let every one tell you that you photo shopped the picture.
I have never been spooled and if I do on Cold Lake well that would have to be one hell off a fish....here's hoping

https://www.facebook.com/groups/618825282289121

Alberta Fishing Pics on facebook has the story and who the fella was...the laker he landed looks like it got swiped by a grizz...
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 02-28-2021, 07:44 PM
simpatico simpatico is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 107
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the tips.

We did finally catch one. I was fishing a herring just off the bottom with a weight. I bought up to check. On the way back down marked a fish at 30 and it started following my bait. I stopped at 40 and felt a bit of weight set hook fish on. It was a 3 pounder but broke the goose egg.

We fished till 1130. Using the method above with the herring. My son and I got 4 more bites but no more to the ice.

The fish that didnít fit through a 8 inch hole Iím guessing is 15 pounds?? My son is still heart broken as that would have been his first lake trout.

Everyone have a great and safe last month of the ice fishing season!

Thanks
Tony
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 02-28-2021, 10:04 PM
OL_JR's Avatar
OL_JR OL_JR is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
If you havenít used em before. Donít set the hook. Let them take it and then crank tight on them. Once they swallow it theyíre getting hooked and you want them to swallow it. Very rarely will the hook come back out without pinning them in the corner of the jaw.

Pay attention how you pass the line through the eye on them because one way sets the hook and one way will want to roll the hook out of their mouth. Some you can snell and some will have a rough spot where the eye is formed that will chafe the line if you snell it. If you tie a loop or knot on them you donít have to stress how the line passes through the eye. Itís just if you snell or are running the line through the eye and around the hook like that pic of the paternoster rig.

Couple different ways I rig them.

So what I am getting is the best would be to loop and crimp or tie a fishermans knot, palomar, or similar on them? Where do you get your crimps? I'd like to order a batch even removed from this scenario and use on trailers for other rigs.
Reply With Quote
  #321  
Old 03-01-2021, 05:08 AM
Coiloil37's Avatar
Coiloil37 Coiloil37 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,542
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
So what I am getting is the best would be to loop and crimp or tie a fishermans knot, palomar, or similar on them? Where do you get your crimps? I'd like to order a batch even removed from this scenario and use on trailers for other rigs.
I havenít noticed a difference in hookup percentage on loop or tight knots. I usually crimp 200lb plus leaders and tie the 30 and 50lb lines. I donít currently use anything in between 50 and 200lb.

Those little 7/0 eagle claws on the top are all I use for marlin, tuna, sailfish etc. and usually for billfish I crimp the 200lb leader.
For tuna and bottom fish I was tying a uni but once all of my premade rigs are used up Iíll be using a tuna knot.
Iíve got some 5/0 and 7/0 mustads for reef species and usually itís just a dirty paternotster rig with the double passed through the eye and the hook dropped through the loop like on that picture of the tusky. Quick and easy to tie and for how fast they get cut off on the reef itís probably how Iíll keep doing it.

The big circle hooks are just for sharks and that one on 300lb mono is a hangover from a while back. I crimp mine on 600lb cable now although I very rarely use them. I donít like shark fishing but if the tax man is taking my fish on the way to the boat and Iím upset about it Iíll drop a hook down for them.

I havenít found any loop knot that gives me the strength I need so I canít say anything except I wonít use them on anything. Everyone Iíve tested breaks lower then most other knots Iíve tested and theyíre far from the strongest knot I know how to tie.

I donít like paying the markup to buy my crimps locally so I usually get them off Amazon. I prefer the awg crimps and order them by the thousand.

I didnít use circle hooks when I lived in Alberta so I donít have any first hand experience catching trout and pike on them. However, Iíve caught several hundred fish with them here and theyíre all I use when Iím not trolling lures. Even when Iím trolling live or dead bait itíll have a circle hook in it and I much prefer them to J hooks.

Just let them eat it. If I miss a fish with a circle hook itís because I didnít give them enough time to get the bait down. Once itís down theyíre almost always hooked in the corner of the mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 03-01-2021, 06:55 AM
Dale S Dale S is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,738
Default

I'm on my way up this Friday. Will I need extension on my auger.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 03-01-2021, 07:07 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 19,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
I'm on my way up this Friday. Will I need extension on my auger.
Nope....20-25" is the most I have been drilling into but if your in tha back bays ya might need it for perch etc....if ya got it....bring it
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 03-01-2021, 07:18 AM
Dale S Dale S is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,738
Default

Thanks. I don't have one.
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 03-01-2021, 12:44 PM
OuttKastt OuttKastt is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 29
Default

Hey everyone!

A buddy and I are heading out Wednesday and Thursday and I have a few questions I was hoping to get guidance on.

I have been watching some of Mat Weaver's videos and really enjoy them. I see that he is using sucker belly. Where can a person find this?

Also, I was looking at using my summer reals which have braided line. I am planning on attaching about 5 feet of fluorocarbon onto the braided line. Is this correct or should I be using my other reels that have mono and attach the fluoro onto those? In addition, do people use a swivel to connect those two lines or just a knot.

I also have a couple jaw jackers so would be interested to hear how others set those up for rigging.

I appreciate all the help you can provide.

David
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 03-01-2021, 03:11 PM
lromanchuk lromanchuk is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttKastt View Post
Hey everyone!

A buddy and I are heading out Wednesday and Thursday and I have a few questions I was hoping to get guidance on.

I have been watching some of Mat Weaver's videos and really enjoy them. I see that he is using sucker belly. Where can a person find this?

Also, I was looking at using my summer reals which have braided line. I am planning on attaching about 5 feet of fluorocarbon onto the braided line. Is this correct or should I be using my other reels that have mono and attach the fluoro onto those? In addition, do people use a swivel to connect those two lines or just a knot.

I also have a couple jaw jackers so would be interested to hear how others set those up for rigging.

I appreciate all the help you can provide.

David
Braid to a 10ft flouro leader is perfect. I prefer to connect my lines together with a knot. Less gear to potentially fail the better.
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM
lromanchuk lromanchuk is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post


I havenít noticed a difference in hookup percentage on loop or tight knots. I usually crimp 200lb plus leaders and tie the 30 and 50lb lines. I donít currently use anything in between 50 and 200lb.

Those little 7/0 eagle claws on the top are all I use for marlin, tuna, sailfish etc. and usually for billfish I crimp the 200lb leader.
For tuna and bottom fish I was tying a uni but once all of my premade rigs are used up Iíll be using a tuna knot.
Iíve got some 5/0 and 7/0 mustads for reef species and usually itís just a dirty paternotster rig with the double passed through the eye and the hook dropped through the loop like on that picture of the tusky. Quick and easy to tie and for how fast they get cut off on the reef itís probably how Iíll keep doing it.

The big circle hooks are just for sharks and that one on 300lb mono is a hangover from a while back. I crimp mine on 600lb cable now although I very rarely use them. I donít like shark fishing but if the tax man is taking my fish on the way to the boat and Iím upset about it Iíll drop a hook down for them.

I havenít found any loop knot that gives me the strength I need so I canít say anything except I wonít use them on anything. Everyone Iíve tested breaks lower then most other knots Iíve tested and theyíre far from the strongest knot I know how to tie.

I donít like paying the markup to buy my crimps locally so I usually get them off Amazon. I prefer the awg crimps and order them by the thousand.

I didnít use circle hooks when I lived in Alberta so I donít have any first hand experience catching trout and pike on them. However, Iíve caught several hundred fish with them here and theyíre all I use when Iím not trolling lures. Even when Iím trolling live or dead bait itíll have a circle hook in it and I much prefer them to J hooks.

Just let them eat it. If I miss a fish with a circle hook itís because I didnít give them enough time to get the bait down. Once itís down theyíre almost always hooked in the corner of the mouth.

Can you post a pic of what the hook and bait looks like right before it gets sent into the water? I'd like to clearly see how and where the bait gets hooked. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 03-02-2021, 07:09 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 19,611
Thumbs up

Nice afternoon out yesterday...caught 4...lost three and had multiple bites too.

Now here is the kicker...200' of water off garnet....yup...200' and just played in and off the bottom with a Len Thompson #2 spoon and just up from it a willow leaf for flash....jaw jacker had multiple hits with a 8" herring but only one came through the ice....I did try other lures etc but as soon as the spoon/willow leaf combo went down it was go time and fun too
The willow leaf is about two feet above the spoon and I think the banging off the bottom and disturbance and a little bit if any flash got them going....not sure but it worked

Had a fella and his son drop by asking what I was using as they were not familiar with the lake..awesome people from Moose Jaw..as soon as they left and went out to 150' and on the bottom using a buck tail they got thier first ever laker....he mentioned all the info he got was stick to 90-120' ish feet of water and to the drops and yet your hammering them in deeeeeep water....hey I drilled and dropped down the garmin....it showed lots of marks so I plunked my butt there....forecast is awesome this week
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 03-02-2021, 07:43 AM
lromanchuk lromanchuk is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Nice afternoon out yesterday...caught 4...lost three and had multiple bites too.

Now here is the kicker...200' of water off garnet....yup...200' and just played in and off the bottom with a Len Thompson #2 spoon and just up from it a willow leaf for flash....jaw jacker had multiple hits with a 8" herring but only one came through the ice....I did try other lures etc but as soon as the spoon/willow leaf combo went down it was go time and fun too
The willow leaf is about two feet above the spoon and I think the banging off the bottom and disturbance and a little bit if any flash got them going....not sure but it worked

Had a fella and his son drop by asking what I was using as they were not familiar with the lake..awesome people from Moose Jaw..as soon as they left and went out to 150' and on the bottom using a buck tail they got thier first ever laker....he mentioned all the info he got was stick to 90-120' ish feet of water and to the drops and yet your hammering them in deeeeeep water....hey I drilled and dropped down the garmin....it showed lots of marks so I plunked my butt there....forecast is awesome this week

Always a good idea to hit different depths like that. Nice to hear it worked out .
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 03-02-2021, 08:23 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 19,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttKastt View Post
Hey everyone!

A buddy and I are heading out Wednesday and Thursday and I have a few questions I was hoping to get guidance on.

I have been watching some of Mat Weaver's videos and really enjoy them. I see that he is using sucker belly. Where can a person find this?

Also, I was looking at using my summer reals which have braided line. I am planning on attaching about 5 feet of fluorocarbon onto the braided line. Is this correct or should I be using my other reels that have mono and attach the fluoro onto those? In addition, do people use a swivel to connect those two lines or just a knot.

I also have a couple jaw jackers so would be interested to hear how others set those up for rigging.

I appreciate all the help you can provide.

David

Just read the thread as people have posted what has worked and not, where to go, ice conditions etc also touch base with Kim Grey...local guide...contact info in a few post too...he has all the supplies...good luck...seems they are a bit more active than last month.
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.