Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 PM

Default Broadhead

Looking for a new broadhead...advice?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 PM

"slick tricks " are my favorite for sure , I am also a big fan of muzzy as well . Either one you can t go wrong.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 PM

x2 on the slicks
Old 05-02-2009, 11:59 PM

Wasp Jak Hammers. Fly like darts, and leave huge holes. Short blood trails are the order of the day.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:44 AM

I used the G5 montecs last year,I really liked them and this year trying the G5 strikers.

timba
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Broadheads

Rockymountain Blitz, Wac Ems, Slicktricks, Montecs, Snypers, Rocket Steelheads, Smoke, the list could go on and on.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:21 AM

I use the 100 g slick trick magnums. I really don't think there is a bad broadhead. Just find the right one for your set up.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 PM

Sharp ones!!!!!!!!!!. Do a search. This question has been asked a million times and there are an untold number of opinions on which to buy. My advice is shoot a few and find one that works and use THAT one. There are NO magic bullets that I know of. What works for some won't work for others. I shoot Thunderhead 100's and Slick tricks. Really can't tell the difference.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:15 PM

My current favorites are the G5 Montec's, they fly quite well for me. Least favorite that I own Slick Tricks.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell f View Post
Sharp ones!!!!!!!!!!. Do a search. This question has been asked a million times and there are an untold number of opinions on which to buy. My advice is shoot a few and find one that works and use THAT one. There are NO magic bullets that I know of. What works for some won't work for others. I shoot Thunderhead 100's and Slick tricks. Really can't tell the difference.
Darrell F,
Thanks for the input including sharp broadheads. The reason we have this great site and message board is to pose questions and ask opinions of other outdoorsman who have similar interests as ours. As per your post I agree there is an untold number of broadheads and types of ammo's out on the market but that's the beauty of this site, you can weed a great deal of them out w/o going through the time and costs of testing several different products. The information one gets back from this site is actual field tested input from the "experts" of what is working for THEM and what is not. From there we narrow it down and form our own opinions. Sure I could use the search function but the other reason us outdoorsman use the site is to create dialogue between individuals whom hunt, fish ect and to kill some time during this recession with people of similar intrests. Thanks guys for the responses as I have narrowed my search down.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM

Default One more thing to consider

Food for thought if you've already decided to try something new.

There has been some good research in support of single bevel on a two blade broadhead done by Dr Ed Ashby. I'm not an engineer but as I understand it - they rotate through the animal which helps with bone hits. He's done lots of testing done on real animals (not blocks of gelatin). It's caught on in trad archery, It seems to be less popular with compound shooters. Some might think this advantage is splitting hairs for a compound shooter but I'd rather think of as splitting bone.

http://www.bowhunters.org.au/phpBB3/...Broadheads.pdf

Zwickey makes a 130 gr called no mercy. Eclipse and Grizzly also have single bevels. I'm sure there's more.