Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 09:20 AM

Default Backcountry bear in 420

Hey everybody. I’ve hiked and done some horseback trail riding around Ya Ha but never hunted the area. I’m planning a 3 day bivwhack into the Forbidden Peak area and I just wanted to get some opinions in regards to my quarry. I know there are likely grizzly but harvest reports on black bear in that region seem decent and it’s nice country so I’m happy enough just to be out there looking but I’ll be a lot happier if I come back with some nice hams for smoking. Any experience or advice would sure be appreciated. Cheers.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:31 AM

Pretty slim chance of finding a black bear in that area. Odds are better in seeing a sasquatch....
Old 04-26-2018, 09:43 AM

Too many Grizz try around the James River area
Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Am I entirely off-base thinking I can spot and stalk anywhere in the Clearwater?
Are the northern foothills more productive? I know I can still-hunt them about anywhere on cut lines but I’d like to get one by way of backcountry.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:53 AM

turbo_mulcher would you include Panther River in the James River area by chance? I’ve done some trail riding around there mid summer as well but it seemed to be populated by grizzly. Thanks again for your opinions by the way, I don’t expect to punch a tag every time I go out on a trip but I’d hate to not even see any critters.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:53 AM

black bear west of 22:

- south of 16, very few
- north of 16, density increase rapidly as you go north
Old 04-26-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
Am I entirely off-base thinking I can spot and stalk anywhere in the Clearwater?
Are the northern foothills more productive? I know I can still-hunt them about anywhere on cut lines but I’d like to get one by way of backcountry.
Clearwater west of the trunk? Waste of time. As for in forbidden, total waste of time.Pretty rare to see a black out there for the last many years.Last black bear I saw west of the trunk was on south side of Panther (sheep) about 10 or 11 years ago. He was a big one though.
As mentioned, too many grizz for them to survive

Look around swan lake area, although not really back country
Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
black bear west of 22:

- south of 16, very few
- north of 16, density increase rapidly as you go north
Hey y’all,

It’s my first year goin out for bear, the gf and I are excited to put on some miles and get some photography in as well.

I was going to look south of carrot creek, or north of Whitecourt for black bear. Sounds like south of carrot creek may not be the best spot to see bears?
Old 04-26-2018, 12:13 PM

Thanks MountainTi, 324 has decent harvest rates, maybe I’ll look into it a bit further; definitely not the backcountry I was hoping for but I know Grizzly make the southern Rockies tough for blacks. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:01 PM

I spend quite a bit of time in ya ha 318 mostly. I have seen one black bear, 6 years ago. He was a really big bear. My cousin seen one 3 seasons ago big as well. There is black bear there and will probably be decent size bear if stumble on one. Lots of grizz. Lots of deer despite what some people say about the deer population. Im always on foot i wish i had horses to push farther on my limited days out there.

Ive seen blacks bit north nordegg.
Couple bears in limestone area.
Id spend a weekend and drive farther north for black bear tho, say winefred, conklin, and west of highway 63.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2018, 06:11 PM

go north of Mountain Air and west a bit. Lots of Grizz in the Panther. The only Black i seen was at the 1st wagon crossing
Old 04-26-2018, 06:39 PM

Try west of Caroline or as mentioned around James River. Been a few years since I seen any blacks around the Ya-ha-tinda,the Scalp,Panther, or Limestone areas.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:14 PM

I've only seen grizzly west of the trunk road near the Panther. Go further north to James river and head a little east of the trunk road for black bear, or north of Nordegg. Saw a couple blackies up there.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, I have a few days set aside for this trip so I think I’ll stay a little further north as suggested but I’m determined to do this one as a backpack hunt so it may turn out to be a solo camping trip with my shooting iron but the experience won’t be tarnished for me if I come back empty. Again I sure appreciate the feedback.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbs View Post
Thanks for the tips guys, I have a few days set aside for this trip so I think I’ll stay a little further north as suggested but I’m determined to do this one as a backpack hunt so it may turn out to be a solo camping trip with my shooting iron but the experience won’t be tarnished for me if I come back empty. Again I sure appreciate the feedback.
If you want to see bears and do a spot and stalk, I'd suggest if you have the time to go and hike the Peace River Valley west of the Dunvegan Bridge.

BW
Old 04-27-2018, 07:50 PM

I have spent a bunch of time hunting bears the last few years. I have learned a few things I can pass on to you.
Bears are dicks. If you looknIg in big country that has few bears I.e caroline and west, you will have a hard time getting on bears. If you have a bunch of time or luck it is possible. Finding sign is not super hard but they move ALOT out there.
Go somewhere there is more bears and your luck will increase. Hunt late afternoon to early evening. Get some place high where you can see a bunch of green grass that has bear sign and wait. The key is the grass and hitting the time right. Once better food becomes available bears are harder to pattern. Get the time right and it's one fun hunt!
I would look at Swan hills and north. Or hold off until June and go up around Grande Cache.
Good luck and post pics!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:52 AM

Thanks craig82, I expect I’ll have to be lucky to get everything I’m after on this trip. I’ve hunted cut blocks plenty in the northern wmus but I’m after an experience on this hunt that I think only big open country can provide. I was hoping to hear that I’d have a chance to see black bear in the areas I’m interested in and it sounds like I’ll get what I’m after given a little patience and as you pointed out, a bit of luck. Thanks once again.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:08 PM

I’ve seen black bears in 420 and 422. There are not a lot but they are there. If you’re looking for a scenic backpack hunt with the possibility of harvesting a bear I think it’d be a great hunt. If you’re looking for a better than average chance of harvesting I wound not recommend that area.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:17 AM

I've seen black bear in 429 (just above you). They are there...just gotta earn em!