Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2013, 01:15 PM

Smile Good Karma ?

Good Karma next year or am I just a " Dumb Schmuck " Here's my story...
My son and I went WT hunting this past week , My first go at Big Game hunting, ( some grouse hunting in the past ) . My son took a doe last year on a mentored hunt ( kind of a fish in a barrel sort of thing ) so I kind of don't count that as " hunting " , so its basically first for both of us. We were on Crown land West of Sundre ( 318 ), Wed morning about legal light while driving to a spot where we were going to hike in from , ( AO threads keep saying to get out of your truck and get on your feet ) , we saw a very nice 6pt buck standing in large clearing . We drove on by and stopped about 30 - 40 yds down the road and got out trying not to spook him ( it worked cause he just stood there and watched us. ) Understanding the Regs , ( that I have read and reread several times ) ,I can`t fire my rife within 200 yds of the road, I have to figure out how to get me and this buck 200 yds of the road so hopefuly I can bag him . ( I know , I can hear all of you saying `what a dumb schmuck `at this time ) but my thoughts are that as tempting as it would be to take the shot now ( he looked real nice in my crosshairs ) it would not be legal , and as a new hunter , at the beginning of a lot of ethical years of hunting and not want to set a bad example for my son , I choose not to take the shot. ( that's the Karma part ) The buck then took off across the road and into the bush, we followed in after him for about half an hour or so ( got into nothing but hard crunchie , very loud snow ) , so then back to the truck.
A little bit further up the road we found another buck at tree edge ( just a little spiker ) and again could of had a shot ( 200 yds you know ) so lost this one in the bush. Got to our spot to park and hiked in and enjoyed a good walk in the bush ( sun was shinning ,temp was nice etc.) but no deer. On our way back home we stopped in Sundre for a bite to eat , and while talking to somebody about our good/not so good hunt he said 200 yd thing was only about buildings and that we could have shot once we were off the road.
Got the regs out and reread again and yes ... I`m a dumb schmuck. I can`t hardly type this out cause all I can think of is that buck ( not the biggest , if fact , probably small by all your guys standards , but it would have been MY buck.) would of been nice to have been able to have posted a picture of my ,or my son`s first buck on AO instead of telling a story of not understanding the Regs properly. Bottom line is that I was so busy making sure that I wasn`t going to do anything wrong that I cost myself/son what could have been a great outing into to just a good one. Oh well there is always next year ... bet that buck is happy though Thanks
Old 11-30-2013, 01:18 PM

At least you erred on the side of caution. Lesson learned and congrats on a good season. There is always next year
Old 11-30-2013, 01:48 PM

I like your post. If you are unsure, don't shoot. Must of us are not out hunting for survival so there will be another opportunity for your first buck. Now you know you need to study the regs before next year. Sounds like a good project for lots of folks.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Its always good to err on the side of caution; if only everyone took the same precautions when they're not 100% positive (and actually technically correct in that aspect!). You son learned an excellent lesson to be cautious that day, and you were out together for some quality time so all-in-all it was time well spent. Pre-season scouting of Crown land or meeting landowners and getting permission and checking the lay of the land is also a good day afield. The landowner at my primary hunting grounds invited me to bring my family for some horseback riding, so being conscientious and friendly can really bear fruit and expand your circle of friends.