Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 PM

Default Hunters without permission

This morning after my night shift I was heading home so my wife could go out and try to get her whitetail. When I came over the hill on my range road I seen a truck in the middle of the range road. As I got closer I seen them eyeing up a buck in my field. I stopped and asked them what they were doing. They told me that they were going to shoot that buck. I said oh yeah so you have permission to hunt here and they told me yes we do. I sadi to them thats funny because this is my field. They told me yeah but vargas told me I could shoot here. I said no you cannot this is my land and you cannot they told me that it doesn't matter what I say they have gotten permission from him. Then the deer began to run and said thats fine they will go on the other side of the trees and shoot it there which was still my land. I told them just to leave. They started looking in the field across from me and I said don't bother there are only three guys allowed to hunt that section and I'm one of them. I know they will be back they do a slow drive past the sections over and over throughout the day. Can anything be done about these guys. There are lots of them doing it. There was a deer shot in the field across from me and none of the guys that have permission got it.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:58 PM

Unfortunatly nothing can be done with a truck creepin a field. Thats not agaisnt the law. Really sorry you had to encounter these clowns. Im thinking maybe a call about a suspicious vehicle..... I dunno. Sucks though fir guys like me and you, these idiots wreck it for the rest of us.

Dont ban the hunters though for it, itll make the poachers worse!!
Old 11-24-2013, 12:10 AM

Plate numbers and description, call the report a poacher line and report it, they did announce their intentions to poach. The officer may or may not be able to do anything but if these retards shoot something you will have a much better chance of getting the charges to stick if you initiate a complaint now. Also they did say they were going to use a firearm on private land, maybe a call to the rcmp? Keep a video camera handy, video evidence is pretty solid in court. A "stalled" tractor across the road....
Old 11-24-2013, 08:44 AM

Who is this vargas you mention? I'm only asking because I have permission from the owner of rented property and the renter had problems with said permission. It was quickly rectified by the owner. If you are the sole owner follow the guidelines mentioned as they will be back.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Who is this vargas you mention? I'm only asking because I have permission from the owner of rented property and the renter had problems with said permission. It was quickly rectified by the owner. If you are the sole owner follow the guidelines mentioned as they will be back.
This. Had a buddy that got into a wrangle over permission. Had it from the landowner and the soon to be daughter in law tried to run him off. Landowner set it straight and princess learned a lesson on ownership.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:01 AM

Is your land rented out to someone?
It's my understanding that the renter is in control of access to the land as long as if is in possession of the land as defined in the lease agreement.
Either way, these guys sound like they were born to be a problem. Take all their info down bust in-case.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:11 PM

here's problem with telling hunters to leave or you can't hunt here or charging them with trespassing or just getting them out right mad....i realize that it is your land,but you can not patrol your land 365 days 24 hrs...eg...there's a old time farmer that reported a truck trespassing on his land up where i hunt...the hunter new that the farmer called him in...
the hunter was charged end of story...nope...farmer brown has a flat tire every month for the next year...why...nails where scattered all over his drive way...
a year later his fence line was cut in 20 different spots...middle of summer a cow was shot 3 years after the trespassing thing....

so what is the farmer to do???can't prove that it was the trespasser...
i guessing it cost the farmer 3500-4000 dollars over a buck that was shot on his land....
Old 11-24-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejay7320 View Post
here's problem with telling hunters to leave or you can't hunt here or charging them with trespassing or just getting them out right mad....i realize that it is your land,but you can not patrol your land 365 days 24 hrs...eg...there's a old time farmer that reported a truck trespassing on his land up where i hunt...the hunter new that the farmer called him in...
the hunter was charged end of story...nope...farmer brown has a flat tire every month for the next year...why...nails where scattered all over his drive way...
a year later his fence line was cut in 20 different spots...middle of summer a cow was shot 3 years after the trespassing thing....

i guessing it cost the farmer 3500-4000 dollars over a buck that was shot on his land....

Yeah, that could happen, but whats the alternative? Just let it go?
Old 11-24-2013, 12:28 PM

U sacrifice one deer to these guys. They shoot it and you call fish and wildlife and charge them. They won't be back. Unfortunately the only way those hunters learn is to start charging them. Then the land gets a reputation as being off limits.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
U sacrifice one deer to these guys. They shoot it and you call fish and wildlife and charge them. They won't be back. Unfortunately the only way those hunters learn is to start charging them. Then the land gets a reputation as being off limits.
There is nothing these guys can be charged with.
Period.
You can't stop ppl from looking. That's the real deal here and in any instance.
Has it occurred that they are playing with the op?
Just to get under his skin, maybe like he did to them?

Very sensitive ppl around here.
Doesn't anyone have thick skin anymore??

Really , if you are a landowner.. You know what can't be done.

Has the internet become a place to whine and tell every detail of our daily life?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Reading this the first thing that I had to question is. How much does a range road cost?
It does suck having guys out there that don't care about permission but it seems to me that the ones that are most likely to refuse permission is hunters themselves.
Around home it used to be that there was no problems with hunting most land because the landowners were hunters themselves now unless the landowner is not a hunter it's highly unlikely for a hunter to get permission. Sorry but when some people think they own everything including the roads I just have a hard time feeling sorry for them
Old 11-25-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
Reading this the first thing that I had to question is. How much does a range road cost?
It does suck having guys out there that don't care about permission but it seems to me that the ones that are most likely to refuse permission is hunters themselves.
Around home it used to be that there was no problems with hunting most land because the landowners were hunters themselves now unless the landowner is not a hunter it's highly unlikely for a hunter to get permission. Sorry but when some people think they own everything including the roads I just have a hard time feeling sorry for them
So you would just set your tripod up in the center of a range road and shoot from there I guess your another ethical hunter
Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Plate numbers and description, call the report a poacher line and report it, they did announce their intentions to poach. The officer may or may not be able to do anything but if these retards shoot something you will have a much better chance of getting the charges to stick if you initiate a complaint now. Also they did say they were going to use a firearm on private land, maybe a call to the rcmp? Keep a video camera handy, video evidence is pretty solid in court. A "stalled" tractor across the road....
Not picking sides in this one, but is watching game in a field is a crime? They can say they are going to shoot a deer in a field, but until they do or if they cross a fence without permission, no crime is committed.. You could call it in and say "I think they may be poaching.." and see what kind of a result you get..
Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 AM

The fact is they didn't break any law but if they had their heads on right they would not confront a landowner. What were they to gain by arguing with the landowner? We see it both ways. Sometimes we see unreasonable hunters, sometimes unreasonable landowners. When I ask for permission on rented land I ask both the renter and the owner. One stands to lose from damage to crop, fences etc & the other has rights to the land. It's a pain but then I know I'm covered. On the other hand that is why I rarely hunt private land. It's just too painful getting permission.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:20 AM

Yes , These guys handled it wrong with you, could have addressed it better with you and maybe recieved some permission, The had asked somebody about permission and it was percieved to them that they had it? So where they in the wrong? thier story is probably different and they did not think so.
Are you a landowner that does not allow people on your land but feels it is your right to hunt on other people land? Yes landowners own the land, they do not own the wildlife, every Albertan should have the right to harvest any wild animal.But they have to do it in respect to the landowners land.

Just my opionon.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Banned

Default A little china justice is in order here ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejay7320 View Post

this is why we have friction .... people should be going after the gov't to insure access to crown land - all crown land.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 AM

Land owners have huge rights, no you cannot do anything for them driving on a range road or township road, but I do remember, I read somewhere land owners have the legal right to remove trespassers!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat37 View Post
Land owners have huge rights, no you cannot do anything for them driving on a range road or township road, but I do remember, I read somewhere land owners have the legal right to remove trespassers!
No more rights than you do in your own home. You can remove trespassers why shouldn't I be able to?

The guys driving down the road can't be hassled, its a public road. Nothing you can do about it. In fact if you do impede their progress you will most likely be committing an offense.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
this is why we have friction .... people should be going after the gov't to insure access to crown land - all crown land.
I think we are talking about deeded land here.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Banned

Default yes - gotcha ....

my point is ...

make existing crown land more accessible, i.e. stop giving leasers the right to restrict access and outfitters monopoly use ..... there'd be less reason to ask for permission on deeded land.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
my point is ...

make existing crown land more accessible, i.e. stop giving leasers the right to restrict access and outfitters monopoly use ..... there'd be less reason to ask for permission on deeded land.
I.... I.... I..... agree totally. LOL
Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 AM

Default Hunting where you can`t

Parking on the road and looking over fields they have NO permission is like drooling over another mans wife. Low class or no class
Old 11-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Parking on the road and looking over fields they have NO permission is like drooling over another mans wife. Low class or no class
Huh???
You can't be serious.
Good Lord, what are people coming to?
Lets see
Can't hunt lease land even though we own it
Can't retrieve game that has fallen private land while being shot on public land
Now people can't look at game from public roads. What is our society coming to?
I don't know what the future of hunting holds for our kids, but it's not very pretty at this point.

Jamie
Old 11-28-2013, 07:44 PM

Maybe you hunters should start teaching you kids the right way to hunt. And then there would not be any trouble. Get out and walk. Does the body good
Old 11-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
I would agree with Jamie.

I OFTEN during hunting season or outside of hunting season will drive new areas scouting for game. If I see an area with promise or a nice buck I will stop and throw the spotting scope on the window. Then mark an X on my land ownership map and perhaps give the guy a call to set up a hunt.

Have you ever hunted waterfowl antlercarver? How do you think guys find where the geese are feeding?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I would agree with Jamie.

I OFTEN during hunting season or outside of hunting season will drive new areas scouting for game. If I see an area with promise or a nice buck I will stop and throw the spotting scope on the window. Then mark an X on my land ownership map and perhaps give the guy a call to set up a hunt.

Have you ever hunted waterfowl antlercarver? How do you think guys find where the geese are feeding?
Well said, I often scout for game by driving around with a landowner map, and marking animals on the map, to determine which property to ask permission for. And I don't have a moose tag this year, but I stopped on a public road, to admire a nice bull anyways. If there is no intent to trespass, or do anything illegal, I see no harm in watching animals from public roads.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:33 PM

I realize that there is nothing illegal with looking at deer on private land but those guys said they had permission even after they were told they didn't and that they were going to shoot the deer. I would be calling F&W and reporting the circumstances and a license number. That way if the land owner sees that a deer has been shot on his land the fish cops would be able to check these guys out. This morning at 7:00am I am watching out the kitchen window and saw a truck come driving by slowly. He backed up and shone his lights out on one of our hay fields in 3 different spots. I was just waiting for the sound of a rifle and I would of had their license number.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:29 PM

As far as lying about permission... to the landowner no less... dirty. Dealing with unscrupulous individuals. Best to keep a close eye out.

As far as looking at animals from the road...

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Huh???
You can't be serious.
Good Lord, what are people coming to?
Lets see
Can't hunt lease land even though we own it
Can't retrieve game that has fallen private land while being shot on public land
Now people can't look at game from public roads. What is our society coming to?
I don't know what the future of hunting holds for our kids, but it's not very pretty at this point.

Jamie
Old 11-28-2013, 10:48 PM

The OP "story" would understandably make a person un-nerved, but after looking up some of his interesting post i'm surprised he wouldnt know to report them, even though they had not done anything illegal.....yet. He is willing to call you a poacher for pushing bush, and taking a animal 30 mins after sunset. Every post made seems to have a negative feel to it....hmmm wheres that troll emoticon when you need it?
Old 11-29-2013, 03:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxercross View Post
So you would just set your tripod up in the center of a range road and shoot from there I guess your another ethical hunter
.doublepost

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 11-29-2013 at 03:18 AM.