Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
besides...you probably stand a better chance of a nasty tracking job by road hunting as whatever you may be shooting at will probably be on a dead run!
Awesome advice. The guys supporting road hunting and even offering advice on how to do it are an embarassment to hunting. There are so many reasons that this is a bad idea, I can't imagine how anyone with any sense still does this stuff.

All the landowners in my neck of the woods ask up front if guys are planning to walk or drive. Walkers get permission, drivers get turned away. Liars get caught and permission rescinded.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swangin View Post
Awesome advice. The guys supporting road hunting and even offering advice on how to do it are an embarassment to hunting. There are so many reasons that this is a bad idea, I can't imagine how anyone with any sense still does this stuff.

All the landowners in my neck of the woods ask up front if guys are planning to walk or drive. Walkers get permission, drivers get turned away. Liars get caught and permission rescinded.
I bet you have a pretty good view up there on your horse

So I guess I must be an embarrassment to hunting as I spotted my buck I shot while driving. I guess lots of guys are an embarrassment to hunting for the same thing. HUGE difference in the guys who do it legally and the ones who dont by the way.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned

I agree that there is a legal way to do it and an illegal way to do it. I suppose it comes down to ones definition of "road hunting". What I call road hunting is driving around until you see something then jumping out and trying to shoot as it runs away. This I have a problem with for several reasons.

Now if you're using a truck to get from place to place, glassing from the road etc I sure don't call that "road hunting". I am sure all of us glass from the truck frequently, no bowhunter has ever been harmed by a guy slamming on the brakes and pointing a spotting scope at him. However I can tell you a couple stories (as Im sure many bowhunters can) about having deer in front of me and having a truck show up (permission or not) on the other side of the deer. Not a comfortable situation to be in.

Didn't mean to sound high and mighty, maybe instead of using the words "road hunters" (as it may be a bit too broad) we should differentiate by calling the slobs "brake slammers" ?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I agree that there is a legal way to do it and an illegal way to do it. I suppose it comes down to ones definition of "road hunting". What I call road hunting is driving around until you see something then jumping out and trying to shoot as it runs away. This I have a problem with for several reasons.

Now if you're using a truck to get from place to place, glassing from the road etc I sure don't call that "road hunting". I am sure all of us glass from the truck frequently, no bowhunter has ever been harmed by a guy slamming on the brakes and pointing a spotting scope at him. However I can tell you a couple stories (as Im sure many bowhunters can) about having deer in front of me and having a truck show up (permission or not) on the other side of the deer. Not a comfortable situation to be in.

Didn't mean to sound high and mighty, maybe instead of using the words "road hunters" (as it may be a bit too broad) we should differentiate by calling the slobs "brake slammers" ?
Brake slammers..... I like it

As far as being harmed by a rifl... I mean spotting scope out the window, iv been shot at more times by guys on foot then I have by window hunters. I dunno how many times iv been scoped as scopes dont make a noise lol. Stupid "hunters" those who shoot at movement, scope out with there rifles make it unsafe for all of us. Ill admit that iv used my scope to check things out, BUT I was 100% sure it was a deer, just checking the rack out. Now that I have my binos, I use em for everything until im ready to make the shot...... In a perfect world thats how it would be I know so dont jump on me just being honest

Not all truck hunters are slobs, but the slobs make truck hunters look bad lol
Old 11-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Providing it's safe of course.
How in the world do you determine whether its safe to shoot down the middle of a freakin road? Any road! Obviously if you got your truck there anybody else could too. Maybe 10 mins before you, maybe 2 hours before you. No tracks in the snow so must not be anybody ahead of you right? What about the guy thats been camped there for a week? The bottom line is that jumping out and shooting anywhere, road or not, is dangerous.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Brake slammers..... I like it

As far as being harmed by a rifl... I mean spotting scope out the window, iv been shot at more times by guys on foot then I have by window hunters.
I think this can be explained using the same logic that makes brake slamming dangerous. Simply put: it's haste. Not taking the time and putting in the effort to do it right. Its the "shoot it before it gets away" mentality.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
How in the world do you determine whether its safe to shoot down the middle of a freakin road? Any road! Obviously if you got your truck there anybody else could too. Maybe 10 mins before you, maybe 2 hours before you. No tracks in the snow so must not be anybody ahead of you right? What about the guy thats been camped there for a week? The bottom line is that jumping out and shooting anywhere, road or not, is dangerous.
Where I hunt elk, there are guys camped all over the place, how do I know that there isnt a guy camped in the next valley??? (fyi I hike many miles off the "beaten" path) Its a very simple practice..... Shooter, target, backstop.

Meaning knowing whats infront of your target and whats behind, hence the big no no for shooting sky lined animals
Old 11-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Where I hunt elk, there are guys camped all over the place, how do I know that there isnt a guy camped in the next valley??? (fyi I hike many miles off the "beaten" path) Its a very simple practice..... Shooter, target, backstop.

Meaning knowing whats infront of your target and whats behind, hence the big no no for shooting sky lined animals
The thing about being on foot is that as you are walking / sitting you have time to "size up" your surroundings. Bailing out of a truck and throwing lead is rushed. Obviously there is always a chance that somebody could be hiding in a bush and not visible to the shooter, but Im sure we can agree that the chance of that happening to a guy walking or sitting is way lower than jumping out of a truck right? Thats my point: road hunting poses a huge safety risk (in addition to a host of other issues).
Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
The thing about being on foot is that as you are walking / sitting you have time to "size up" your surroundings. Bailing out of a truck and throwing lead is rushed. Obviously there is always a chance that somebody could be hiding in a bush and not visible to the shooter, but Im sure we can agree that the chance of that happening to a guy walking or sitting is way lower than jumping out of a truck right? Thats my point: road hunting poses a huge safety risk (in addition to a host of other issues).
Last guy that shot at us, thought we were a bull elk...... Didnt know bull elk carried rifles but w/e, he was on foot. He was on the other side of the meadow, across from us. After we hit the ground he figured he made the kill and was making his way across the meadow. Boy was he surprized! Got dropped, after he made it apparent he wasnt 100% sure what he was shooting at.

Whether on foot or bailin out a truck, it is the shooters responsibility to make 100% sure what hes shooting at. Its not just truck hunters, or the "slobs" it happens from all groups. Chances are anyways if your bailing out the truck the deer is already doing 40mph, pretty easy to determine a deer from a human at that point
Old 11-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Banned

Yes, your absolutley right. Jumping out of a truck and flinging lead at a deer running 40 mph away from you is safe, no doubt about it.

Ugh. I give up. Maybe we really are doomed.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, your absolutley right. Jumping out of a truck and flinging lead at a deer running 40 mph away from you is safe, no doubt about it.

All im saying is that there is more to unsafe activities while hunting. Chances are your more likely to be hurt driving to your favorite spot then while actually hunting. No need to give up, I could go all night lmao

Jokes, just saying there is more out there then flinging lead. Case in point, went down a badger hole in 2011, screwed my hip up for close to a year.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Can't walk......try sitting. Get to a spot ( where you don't have to walk too far ) get comfy and sit. You'd probably see more game that way then by walking anyway.
x2 The bucks are moving all day during the rut. Pick a good spot where they'd have to get in the open in order to travel from one patch of bush to the other and you're liable to see a few deer if there are any around.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:57 PM

Default being a road hunter

This year I am a self proclaimed Road Hunter. In July I had my left foot amputated straight down the shin and only have my left heel on that side. I also had an operation on my right foot at the end of October and am still in a cast. Today while being a truck jockey I spotter a cow Moose from the road that the wife had a tag for. A few phone calls and a door knock later we had permission to try and get the big black beast. The wife and BIL took a tour on his sled to see if she was still where she was spotted an hour and a half earlier. She was and came out on the side I was watching from the truck ( being a road hunter) I was able to fill the wifes tag on a Partner licence from 20 yards inside the field and leaning over the combine parked there. ( with the landowner watching). Managed to hit the big black beast twice at 366 yards and 382 yards trotting. She went about 40 more yards before piling up at the next willow clump. Then the work started ( for the wife and BIL and some friends. Easiest moose hunt (for me at least) that I have ever been on. So for the crowd on here there is a way to be one of the dreaded ROAD HUNTERS and still do it legal

Les

ps The wife got a nice 135 class Whitetail on her own a few nights ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ks Moose.jpg (74.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 11-24-2013, 10:02 PM

Depending on your definition....I road hunt every time I am driving in the country....sometimes I don't even have a rifle. Just binos and a camera will do, the scouting for hunting season never ends....

LC
Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 PM

I posted 2 Old Guys Road Hunting to show you can be successful and harvest your animals
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...s+road+hunting

follow the rules and its just another way to hunt ..I stand hunt ..still hunt in vehicle as my blind but get out too shoot and stalk .. I have tracked them down /called them in /spot and stalked /pushed bush/run them down as in running to advantage points to get shot off(like Telemark Biathlon) after spooking them../trail watched /ground Blind /tree stand

I have a injury now so long day hike are out of the question and every year all over Alberta there are legal Road hunters that harvest their animals but not only that all over the World there are road hunters and it is just another way to harvest your animals .. you can watch the differ,t ways on u-tube just follow the rules where you hunt and be safe
if the animal is stopped then the shot is taken if safe to do so as always

We have lease roads everywhere out here and its all treed or mill cuts

we drive school zone speeds so you can stop before they know that you are there most times

if you have a shooting sticks or bi-pod it makes for a better rest ..but sitting on your butt with the left knee up is deadly too .. or do a Biathlon shot using your sling ..some times you have lots of time so you can use trees or stumps etc for rests .. we spot animals from 25ft too 2 miles road hunting and then figure out the hunt

I like those 25 yard shots(grouse) ..mmmm good

here is some road hunting results this year and my deer tags have been filled 2013 all 4 of them

nothing like good Venison

enjoy

David

Last edited by Speckle55; 11-24-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:

You obviously don't know HOW to road hunt. I've shot dozens of animals road hunting. All were standing absolutely still when I pulled the trigger. All of the ones I shot at ended up on the meat pole.

I HOUSE hunt for that matter. Watch TV on a Sunday morning. See a herd of elk behind the house through the big window facing that way. Scratch arse, grab rifle, shoot elk (moose or deer). Gutted and done before the period/quarter is over.

Marshall McLuhan

Last edited by sjemac; 11-24-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:13 PM

Nice Rememberance Day buck.... looks like he dropped in his tracks
Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 PM

yep thanks

coveralls and quitting time ..right beside road

2 Old Guys Road Hunting

David

Quote:
Nice Rememberance Day buck.... looks like he dropped in his tracks
Old 11-24-2013, 11:22 PM

Good point ..your not the only one

roflmao

David

[QUOTE=sjemac;2210134]You obviously don't know HOW to road hunt. I've shot dozens of animals road hunting. All were standing absolutely still when I pulled the trigger. All of the ones I shot at ended up on the meat pole.

I HOUSE hunt for that matter. Watch TV on a Sunday morning. See a herd of elk behind the house through the big window facing that way. Scratch arse, grab rifle, shoot elk (moose or deer). Gutted and done before the period/quarter is over.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-25-2013, 05:53 AM

I don't drive around to hunt, but I do drive around to scout new hunting areas.
I don't believe that I have ever broken the law knowingly. I certainly don't hunt on private land without permission, even though it is not strictly required on unposted land in Saskatchewan.
I like to park, camp and hunt on foot.

About 30 years ago in BC I got the best Coast Blacktail that I ever saw when driving a steep fire access road in the bush. I had been hunting all season by parking and walking. I was checking out a new road in thick second growth forest and this lovely three a side with brow tines Blacktail came bouncing down the mountainside and stopped to look at me. I got out of the truck, loaded the gun, moved off the travelled portion of the road and collected this gift Blacktail.
If that is road hunting, so be it.
I put in my time hunting on foot and, by chance, legally shot a deer which presented itself as a gift.

I cannot condone harassing game with a vehicle but all let's not get too critical of "legal" harvest of game just because it is not exactly how you would prefer to do it. Notice the quotes on the word LEGAL.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 AM

saskbooknut "Quote" " I put in my time hunting on foot and, by chance, legally shot a deer which presented itself as a gift.

I cannot condone harassing game with a vehicle but all let's not get too critical of "legal" harvest of game just because it is not exactly how you would prefer to do it. Notice the quotes on the word LEGAL."

X2 ^^^^ The mind is willing but the body is weak.

I would love to walk for days back in the bush again but here in the flat open prairie, you can walk a looong time before you see anything that even resembles a tree, let alone a forest. So you road hunt till you get to a favorite spot then you walk in. BUT most People out here drive the coulees and most are MUCH younger then I am. Do I like it NO but it is what it is. If they have permission then go for it who am I to tell them what the hunt is about.
Most people don't get what the hunt is all about anyhow, with there long range sniper rigs with a digital range finder built into their scopes that does everything but yank the trigger. Grab a bow, burn some shoe leather, then you will now what it is about...but I ramble on.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:11 PM

Everybody's got a rightous, vociferously-held, judgemental opinion of "road hunting". That's mostly because everyone is talking about something different. Some imagine illegal actions with pool noodles and lights, some picture ethically (to them) repugnant ones, and some just hate anything that isn't the way they do things.

I have permission to hunt about three sections (sections, not quarter sections) that are bordered by a dead end road on one side. I usually stop at the first section which I know best, get out, hike in, and still hunt it until I'm about ready to go home. Then I'll hop in my truck and take a run the rest of the way down the road just to see if I see anything else before I leave. I usually pass other trucks cruising up and down, though I rarely see the occupants get out. I wonder if they have permission, but it's not my job to ask.

Anyway, I've never shot anything on these runs down the road, but would not hesitate to get out, throw a magazine in the gun, get over the fence and shoot should the opportunity arise. If everything is done legally I don't have a problem with others doing it. I don't find it ethically offensive. I just find it boring and generally ineffective.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
This is false. Roads that fall under some surface rights act are good to go.
That is true, had to read up on it to find out about it. (Though I am not sure what was false about my post) I also will amend my post by stating that it is 20' from the edge, as another poster noted. The surface rights act statement was not very clear to me, what exactly does this mean?

Quote:
I guess you haven't been down too many old roads/trails. When you are headed up a foothill or mountain road that has been de-activated, and takes a sharp turn up the hill so that a vehicle can make it up to the top has a deer standing at the bend with a heavy stand of trees and more mountain behind it.... It's a pretty safe bet that there isn't a truck behind it.

I didn't think I would really have to map this out. I thought that it was pretty clear that we weren't talking about a straight road that disappears over the horizon in Saskatchewan.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Two words.

POOL NOODLES.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Here is a question that was answered by Fish and Wildlife SRD

Just use common sense and be safe ..don,t shoot if unsure

David

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=140255
Question: Often I hear of people shooting from gravel roads. When these actions are questioned, the topic of “regularly maintained” roads comes up, and how it is illegal to shoot from them but not other roads. What is the actual law when it comes to shooting from gravel, and how do I know if it is legal on any given road?

Answer: The discharge of firearms along or across roadways for the purposes of hunting is described under Section 51 of the Wildlife Act. Under 51 (1) (b) of the Wildlife Act, it prohibits hunters from discharging a firearm across or along a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained in a municipal district or prescribed area. If a road is graveled and graded and in a settled area of the province, it should be considered a regularly maintained road.

Roads that are held under any active disposition or under a Licence of Occupation are excluded from this prohibition. These roads typically are found in the forested areas of Alberta and are used to support oil and gas or forestry activities. If you are unsure whether discharging a firearm from a particular road is prohibited, you are encouraged to contact your District Fish and Wildlife Officer and they will be able to provide clarity on local roads.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Best to have 4 guys in the truck so it can be loaded in under a minute
LMAo never understood that. Saw some guys out a few weeks ago, four in a pick up road hunting.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Here is a question that was answered by Fish and Wildlife SRD

Just use common sense and be safe ..don,t shoot if unsure

David

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=140255
Question: Often I hear of people shooting from gravel roads. When these actions are questioned, the topic of “regularly maintained” roads comes up, and how it is illegal to shoot from them but not other roads. What is the actual law when it comes to shooting from gravel, and how do I know if it is legal on any given road?

Answer: The discharge of firearms along or across roadways for the purposes of hunting is described under Section 51 of the Wildlife Act. Under 51 (1) (b) of the Wildlife Act, it prohibits hunters from discharging a firearm across or along a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained in a municipal district or prescribed area. If a road is graveled and graded and in a settled area of the province, it should be considered a regularly maintained road.

Roads that are held under any active disposition or under a Licence of Occupation are excluded from this prohibition. These roads typically are found in the forested areas of Alberta and are used to support oil and gas or forestry activities. If you are unsure whether discharging a firearm from a particular road is prohibited, you are encouraged to contact your District Fish and Wildlife Officer and they will be able to provide clarity on local roads.
Thanks for shedding a little more light on that one.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 PM

Best advice in regards to road hunting....don't

LC