Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 04:37 PM
AO Sponsor

Default AO Members Simply Amaze Me!!

Hey All!

I just wanted to say that you all have absolutely floored me and I can't say I have ever met a more amazingly generous group of people out there!

Unbeknownst to me, a group of you have been conspiring with the help of my lovely wife to surprise me at my work with an over-the-top gift! I am still quite shocked as I am someone who simply believes in trying to do my job well with a modicum of integrity and I am still not sure why this would deserve such a display of gratitude, but I am humbled and touched, so much so that the words truly fail me.

I don't know everyone who was involved other than Caber as he was the culprit who made the drop-off at the shop today as well as TwistedCanuck who I am damn certain played a huge part in making the recommendation, but I wish to say a huge thanks to you all! You have no idea how fantastic you made this "officially" old guy feel rolling over his 50th Birthday this past Friday, and forever more on those days when I question myself (as we all do time to time) on why I keep doing what I do, this is the thing that will always keep me going, knowing that there are people out there who do things like this and make a person feel like what they do matters.

Cheers to you all and I hope I can continue to serve you all well for a long future to come! I am going to savour every single drop of this nectar of the gods, you can be sure!

Slàinte Mhath!!

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-21-2020, 04:45 PM

Why, that bottle doesn't even look like it has been cracked yet. Shame.

There were about a dozen guys who answered the bell and kicked in, everyone I mentioned it to actually. When I read what you did for livinthedream, fixing what another outfit didn't do right in the first place, I was impressed. Then, when you told me what a miserable cynical old fart you were becoming, I figured we needed to help you through your crisis...

Enjoy it Bob, you are one of the Good Guys on the forum, and obviously many others agree.

I will drop you a list of the goons involved (sent you a text)....we couldn't have pulled it off without Caber taking the time to pick up and deliver.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 09-21-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:57 PM

nice
Old 09-21-2020, 05:26 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Why, that bottle doesn't even look like it has been cracked yet. Shame.

There were about a dozen guys who answered the bell and kicked in, everyone I mentioned it to actually. When I read what you did for livinthedream, fixing what another outfit didn't do right in the first place, I was impressed. Then, when you told me what a miserable cynical old fart you were becoming, I figured we needed to help you through your crisis...

Enjoy it Bob, you are one of the Good Guys on the forum, and obviously many others agree.

I will drop you a list of the goons involved (sent you a text)....we couldn't have pulled it off without Caber taking the time to pick up and deliver.
Challenge accepted!!

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-21-2020, 06:52 PM

Bob, glad you've given that bottle a start

I was trying to get some video as your Mrs was saying she'd love to see the look on your face, but sadly my left-handed video taking skills are not up to par, I got some footage of the asphalt and your knee before inadvertently shutting off my recording attempt. That would have been email fodder rather than forum material anyways, nobody would want to hear two half-centenarians yammering away.

Kudo's to all the gents who chipped in and Happy Birthday Bob!

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-21-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:57 PM

chug it - i double dares ya
Old 09-21-2020, 07:08 PM

In no particular order, thanks to the following:

Dean2
Teledogs
Ken07AOVette - (contribution towards a meal)
Twisted Canuck
sns2
Cement Bench
Urban Rednek
livinthedream
WV911
Big Racks
Me-Caber

There were also two members whose EMT names I couldn't directly link to a forum handle (these can be edited to remove their first name and add their forum handle):

Robin
Tyson

I had this all written out earlier to start a thread and then I accidentally closed the forum window and saw a squirrel ....

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-21-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:15 PM

what about cement bench? boy am I dense, good thing not sipping that stuff

Sorry guys

Last edited by Cement Bench; 09-21-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
what about cement bench?

Right after sns2, silly
Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 PM

Enjoy Bob!
Old 09-21-2020, 08:44 PM

Damn good folk on this board.

My hats off to you guys.

Yous good peoples too Bob.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-21-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Damn good folk on this board.

My hats off to you guys.

Yous good peoples too Bob.

Exactly. This kind of thing is really the core of what makes this group great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-21-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
"..There were about a dozen guys who answered the bell and kicked in.."
Got to ask, What bell was that?
Old 09-21-2020, 09:13 PM

thanks to Caber and Twisted for thinking of it and organizing it
Old 09-21-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Got to ask, What bell was that?
I didn't put out a general alarm, just messaged people who had good dealings with Bob and said so publicly on different tire related threads here, and a couple other Scotch drinkers who I knew would be up for it. I suppose I could have asked more people, but didn't think Bob's liver needed a whole case of good whisky for his birthday.....and we got it done. AO is full of good people, and Bob has helped a few of them out, so it was nice to set him up for his 50th.

Speaking of liver damage, I think Bob needs to post a picture of that bottle tomorrow morning so we can judge him....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 09-21-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I didn't put out a general alarm, just messaged people who had good dealings with Bob and said so publicly on different tire related threads here, and a couple other Scotch drinkers who I knew would be up for it. I suppose I could have asked more people, but didn't think Bob's liver needed a whole case of good whisky for his birthday.....and we got it done. AO is full of good people, and Bob has helped a few of them out, so it was nice to set him up for his 50th.

Speaking of liver damage, I think Bob needs to post a picture of that bottle tomorrow morning so we can judge him....
Thx for the response!
I definitely would of took part if could of, I like the spirit of Bob.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Thx for the response!
I definitely would of took part if could of, I like the spirit of Bob.
I'm sure you and many more would have been happy to kick in, that's just the generous type of people we do have on the forum. I honestly just had no idea who to ask, other than as mentioned....those who were happy with the work done and help given.

This is probably easier on his liver long term though....

Old 09-21-2020, 10:29 PM

Enough of the bloody niceties already. I was told that when he cracked his bottle, he was gonna post a pic of himself modeling the chartreuse G-string we got him in front of a full length mirror. Now, where's the pic???

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2020, 08:09 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
In no particular order, thanks to the following:

Dean2
Teledogs
Ken07AOVette - (contribution towards a meal)
Twisted Canuck
sns2
Cement Bench
Urban Rednek
livinthedream
WV911
Big Racks
Me-Caber

There were also two members whose EMT names I couldn't directly link to a forum handle (these can be edited to remove their first name and add their forum handle):

Robin
Tyson

I had this all written out earlier to start a thread and then I accidentally closed the forum window and saw a squirrel ....
Well you all made my day... Heck you guys made my year! Seriously, I was feeling a bit down (not the 50th aspect... just work frustrated etc) and was having one of those moments where you are ready to just chuck it all in and then you all go and do something like that and all that crap just went away! I truly can't thank you all enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Enough of the bloody niceties already. I was told that when he cracked his bottle, he was gonna post a pic of himself modeling the chartreuse G-string we got him in front of a full length mirror. Now, where's the pic???

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Ohhhhh, that is what that was! I thought it seemed a little small for a mask! The ladies at the Co op were all giving me funny looks...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Last edited by tirebob; 09-22-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:27 AM
Gone Hunting

Sadly I am too far north to ever use your service but from what people say about you I have no doubt you are a cut above the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I am still quite shocked as I am someone who simply believes in trying to do my job well with a modicum of integrity and I am still not sure why this would deserve such a display of gratitude,
I'm sure you suspect why people feel the way they do about you, but just to clarify I'll explain how I see the matter.

Finding someone in any service industry who's goal it is to provide a decent service at a decent price is rare indeed these days.

To guys like me it's as precious a thing as a truck load of 1 pound gold nuggets.

Last time I took my truck to a shop the owner told me the whole front end needed to be rebuilt. He even went so far as to threaten to ban it from being driven because it would be "too dangerous on the roadway".

Thing is, I had just had the all steering and suspension wear items replaced with factory parts. I had bought the parts myself and had watched the mechanic install them.

I told Mr idiot that and informed him I had receipts for everything, and that I'd be happy to take him to court if he condemned my ride.
He just shrugged and walked away.

I took the truck in for a wheel alignment as that was the only thing left to do for a total rebuild and he tried to rip me off.

Sadly, in my experience that is the norm these days.

Guys like you are the exception.

Well done fellas, you did a good thing.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-22-2020, 10:13 AM

Keg, had similar experience few years back. Bought tires and when they were being installed on high end dodge 5th avenue car the shop foreman tells me I need new ball joints. He takes 6 foot bar and prys down to show me play. I just laughed at him, believe car only had around 20,000 miles.
They broke the mold after Tire Bob.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Sadly I am too far north to ever use your service but from what people say about you I have no doubt you are a cut above the rest.

I'm sure you suspect why people feel the way they do about you, but just to clarify I'll explain how I see the matter.

Finding someone in any service industry who's goal it is to provide a decent service at a decent price is rare indeed these days.

To guys like me it's as precious a thing as a truck load of 1 pound gold nuggets.

Last time I took my truck to a shop the owner told me the whole front end needed to be rebuilt. He even went so far as to threaten to ban it from being driven because it would be "too dangerous on the roadway".

Thing is, I had just had the all steering and suspension wear items replaced with factory parts. I had bought the parts myself and had watched the mechanic install them.

I told Mr idiot that and informed him I had receipts for everything, and that I'd be happy to take him to court if he condemned my ride.
He just shrugged and walked away.

I took the truck in for a wheel alignment as that was the only thing left to do for a total rebuild and he tried to rip me off.

Sadly, in my experience that is the norm these days.

Guys like you are the exception.

Well done fellas, you did a good thing.

Oh, you shoulda called me. I would have loved to rip that bastard a new exhaust!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-24-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Challenge accepted!!

Don’t ya just love the gluck gluck gluck sound a bottle makes when pouring the first drink.
Awesome gift. Enjoy
Old 09-24-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV911 View Post
thanks to Caber and Twisted for thinking of it and organizing it
X 2 ....Happy Birthday Bob.......Thanks for your recent help

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:07 AM

Bob hooked me up with some wheels and tires last month for my 4Runner, super to deal with all around. The new boots didn't stay shiny long, the day I got them I went on a road trip with plenty of gravel roads. The picture below was taken last week south of K-country.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4runner.jpg (108.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-27-2020, 12:55 AM

Happy late birthday Tire Bob. Have another great day.

The AO community is an amazing group of caring people. More of a community than the one I reside in.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets