Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 PM

Default Range today

Well I'v been shooting my bows the last two months honing my recurve abilities as i just bought on this year and i seem to have neglected my rifles.Well today i finnally decided to hit the rifle range.

results same as last years with my rifle. just had to tweak it half inch to the left

how ever while my rifle was doing its job. My girlfriends 7mm-08 was and still has been the most pain in the butt rifle i had ever develop loads for. Best i could do is 1.5" with the best load and about 1.75" with the new hornady superformance ammunition. The superformance definetly do as the claim increase velocity an average difference of 120fps more then my loads and they are max. The rifle will do for this winter on her mulie buck but after im thinking im gonna have to get some work done it and see if the groups can tighten up a bit.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Thats some fancy shooting
Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 PM

Good shooting. What distance?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltorro View Post
Good shooting. What distance?
100yards
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 PM

Sometimes the gun gets blamed for the poor performance of the scope or rings which most often is the cause. Bench Rest shooters now look for the scope capable of doing the job rather than the rifle.

Another place to look for any problems is the bedding of the rifle. Bedding is easy for the most part, remember to leave a gap in front and along the sides of your recoil lug.

Something you may wish consider and do. This is something that I believe is often overlooked and I have brought up many times. It will require a bit of ammo to do but it can pay handsome dividends. It's to loosen your screw into your recoil lug, then tighten it until you start to feel a bit of effort to tighten it further. Fire a group, and measure the group. Tighten the screw into the recoil lug slightly. Fire a group and measure. Keep doing it. Evenually the group will shrink, and often substantially. Mark the position of the screw on the rifle so that the screw can be easily returned to the desired tension should you disassemble the rifle.

Often when you change ammo you loose accuracy. Do it with the new ammo and you will find that the tension necessary to shoot good groups will vary with the lot / brand / type of ammo being shot.

Nice group!!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:28 PM

nice hunting load...great group tooo.....
Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 AM

MOA of "Bluenose" is damned good. Fantastic combination and good shooting on your part.