Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM

Default Wedding Caterer

So I’m in the midst of planning a wedding and wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a wedding caterer? Wedding is in Edmonton in October. The only requirement is that it isn’t standard wedding food. We DONT want roast beef, chicken, mashed potatoes, etc... I’m leaning towards a BBQ meal or a pig roast. Just want to have something a little different that people will remember. Want to keep cost around $30/plate.

Also, wondering where the best place to buy liquor for the wedding is. Thinking of just going with Superstore.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:22 AM

Default catering

We went with Red Deer catering. They were much more flexible that the others we considered, and did an excellent job. There are a few BBQ specific caterers out there (Bar-B-Q Acres maybe?) that might be able to bring their rig to your site, and do something a bit more unusual - but I can't comment on the quality.

Superstore for the liquor. A bit cheaper than Costco, and way better selection. We ordered quite a bit of wine etc. and they had it all ready on time. What was left was easily returnable.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
The only requirement is that it isn’t standard wedding food.......Just want to have something a little different that people will remember.
McDonalds take out, will be remembered for years and years.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
McDonalds take out, will be remembered for years and years.
Actually thinking that will be our midnight lunch. A bunch of cheeseburgers and fries to finish off the night. Or a bunch of pizzas.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:46 AM

We have been looking around for a caterer for an 80th birthday party. The prices are really nuts. From what we have found, the only way you are likely going to get BBQ for under $30 a plate is to do the meat yourself and have someone else cater the fixins. We had two quotes of over $40 a head for basically soup, sandwich and cold cuts. Price of catering around Edmonton has gone through the roof the last 3 years. Don't know whether it is lack of competition, food or labour costs but whatever it is the prices are really high.

So far the best deals we have come up with have been on Italian type meals, pasta, chicken etc. I will be interested to see if anyone posts caterers with a more reasonable price profile for BBQ or Pig Roast type meals.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:04 PM

Can't speak to pricing, but I was impressed by their food at a BBQ I attended in 2005.I sold them some commercial ovens, kitchen was spotless and well organized.
Located in Spruce Grove

https://elizabethan.com/personal/personal-barbecues/
Old 03-28-2019, 12:28 PM

checkout the fresh vine in edson, she caters and has unusaul foods, and will travel.
MC
Old 03-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Check Taste of Ukraine in St Albert
Old 03-28-2019, 01:18 PM

Sandyview Farms has awesome catering. Used them many times for everything from parties to weddings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2019, 01:22 PM

Default NAK Catering

The owner is a very good friend of mine. I work for them as a cook in the summer. Son works for them as a server. They are very good.

https://www.nakscatering.com/menus/summer-barbeque/
Old 03-28-2019, 02:23 PM

I used A1 catering for my wedding last summer, did a burger bar to stay away from the roast beef route and they were great to deal with. Very flexible, friendly and relaxed.