Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 06:25 PM

Default Oldman Reservoir

Oh dear. I just saw it and basically there is no water in the reservoir. It has to be down 20 feet. The Castle Bridge campground had a herd of cattle wandering around the campsites, the river was so low the cows could just walk across and avoid both the fence and cattle guard.

I hope we get some more rain soon. It rained to-day but not enough to make puddles on the road.
Old 09-23-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Oh dear. I just saw it and basically there is no water in the reservoir. It has to be down 20 feet. The Castle Bridge campground had a herd of cattle wandering around the campsites, the river was so low the cows could just walk across and avoid both the fence and cattle guard.

I hope we get some more rain soon. It rained to-day but not enough to make puddles on the road.
It may look like it's down 20 feet below hwy 3 but north of Cowley and east of there you can see its 80 to 100 feet lower. Lundbreck and Cowley are hauling water into the towns as their intake pipes at the dam are higher than the water level. At the spillway site its jaw dropping when you see it.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:40 AM

Default Dam

I don’t remember ever seeing the dam this low.
Old 09-24-2023, 10:42 AM

That's not good! Maybe a good snow fall this year? lets hope!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
I don’t remember ever seeing the dam this low.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:06 PM

We need a lot more than a big snowfall, that would be too late for this year, if they haven’t yet all irrigation needs to stop so they can put some water back into some reservoirs.
Old 09-24-2023, 05:34 PM

Default Let's elect slough shark!

There is hardly enough water for the cows to drink let alone spray it all around to water the grass.

I remember when they built the dam Ken Kowalski hid behind the curtains when anyone came into his office (I was there about something else), and Milton Born with a tooth (may he RIP) tryed to stop the building of it in the first place.

As far as snow fall is concerned, I don't think that will work, and it was drizzling there last week but hardly any water, no puddles on the road. It will be a shame if we lose that river.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:17 PM

Default The reservoir at HWY3

Well you guys were right. The "lake" is empty and the river just looks like a trickle running through the bottom. We have over done selling irrigation licenses and now it may never refill.
It rained for 2 1/2 days this weekend but it was not much of a rain, it will all be soaked up by the fields.
There wouldn't be much point in fishing the river (Crowsnest) as the fish have enough problems as it is.
This is serious, the towns need some of that water.
Maybe stop irrigation?
Old 10-01-2023, 06:54 PM

In early 2000’s there were a few years of drought which lead to significant water rationing for irrigation. The reservoir’s became very low at that time as well. People were saying they would take many years to fill back up, if ever.

The year the drought broke, southern Alberta received amounts of 5-7 inches of rain over a few days, filling the reservoir’s up completely.

I’m not trying to downplay this situation, as it is indeed dire. But it will turn around at some point.
Old 10-03-2023, 05:02 PM

Default Whoopppee!

For $800 million, the province intends to increase irrigated acres by 200,000.
All that is needed is water!
For those that recall - the Prime Project seems imminent.

Don
Old 10-05-2023, 12:17 PM

Don't forget about all the water the new coal mines that they are trying to slide in will want. Just change your name and everything is OK