Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-07-2022, 11:52 AM

Default Charles Daly .410 3" Chamber Question

Hey All

I purchased a Charles Daly 101 Little Scorpio .410 with a 3" chamber a couple months ago. This past weekend I finally took it out and was hoping to give it a try. Since it is impossible to acquire 3" shells right now, all I had were 2.5" shells. After fiddling and trying multiple rounds I finally gave up trying to get the gun to fire.

When I got home and reviewed the manual again, I read that the gun only accepts 2.75" and 3" shells. Obviously I missed this when I read the manual the first time.

My question is how does the 2.5" shell seat differently compared to the 2.75" and 3"?

The 2.5" shell sits flush against the chamber bore but no firing pin marks at all after several attempts. Does the chamber taper down after the 2.5" mark which can only squeeze against longer shells?

It's not a big deal having to wait until the ammo shortages end but this has got me stumped, why a single shot shotgun with a 3" chamber won't accept 2.5".

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2022, 11:57 AM

The 410 headspaces on the rim, so there is no reason that a 2-1/2" shell won't fire. As for 2-3/4" shells for the 410, I have never seen any.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:38 PM

Did the trigger actually trip the hammer ?
A friend of mind just tore one down to try and lighten up the pull weight.
When we tested it , it came in at 11.5 pounds.
Cat
Old 07-07-2022, 12:39 PM

Default Turkish made?

Silly question but has it been dry fired and perhaps the tip is broken off the firing pin?
Old 07-07-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Silly question but has it been dry fired and perhaps the tip is broken off the firing pin?
If it was disassembled incorrectly , then assembled there certainly is a possibility of the firing pin breaking , depending on whether or not the gun clicks on closing or opening .
Cat
Old 07-07-2022, 12:59 PM

The hammer does trip and no the tip hasn't broken off. You can release the hammer while the gun is open to the breech and also here the hammer trip when it is closed (loaded of course).

I tried squirting some lubricant in passed the pin and it didn't seem to change the length to which it would stick out.

Here is what the manual says about 3" chambers:

Old 07-07-2022, 01:04 PM

Well, all I can think of is either the firing pin is too short or some kind of crap is blocking it from its full extension of travel.
Your alternatives are to take the stock off and take a peek or send it back , which may or may nor prove fruitful.
Cat
Old 07-07-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knacker View Post
The hammer does trip and no the tip hasn't broken off. You can release the hammer while the gun is open to the breech and also here the hammer trip when it is closed (loaded of course).

I tried squirting some lubricant in passed the pin and it didn't seem to change the length to which it would stick out.

Here is what the manual says about 3" chambers:

The statement is saying to use shells up to the maximum length listed, the 2-3/4" does not apply to 410, as the 410 standard loads are 2-1/2"and 3", there is no standard 2-3/4" load for the 410.
Old 07-07-2022, 01:26 PM

The way I read the manual... it states not to use a shell longer than stated on the gun, there is no reason why a 2.5" shell would not work
Old 07-07-2022, 01:35 PM

Well I definitely was sure a 3" chamber could shoot 2.5", so I will need to talk to the store. I have no problem opening it up but I'll see what they say first.

Thanks All!
Old 07-07-2022, 02:07 PM

Default If it's

A relatively new gun take it back for an exchange for one that works.See what they say.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:29 PM

Take it back and exchange it. If you mess with it you will void the "warranty". It retails for $169 CDN, so the factory probably got 40$ to make it...not really surprising it's a dud.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:04 PM

You can shoot 2 1/2 without issue.

The gun probably has excessive headspace and probably won’t fire any ammo properly.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:07 AM

I spoke to the retailer today and they said bring it in. They are the Canadian service center for the manufacturer and were quite surprised with the issue.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:22 AM

Default Well I'm not surprised with

Turkish ,Brazilian or Chinese gun quality being inconsistent. Service after sales or parts is a surprise. Hope they make it right.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:19 PM

I had to laugh but it turns out I was the defective component of the gun.

I took the gun to the dealer and the smith fired 8 shots without issue. At first I was thinking that the lube I had sprayed around the pin just needed time but that wasn't it. The lever to break the action needed to be pulled back as far as it can while opening and then it is fully cocked. Not just enough to "break" but all the way.

I've only owned and shot 2 break action rifles, my childhood BB gun and now this one. The smith said it is a pretty common mistake. Not sure if he meant this specific model or in general, but a couple of my friends couldn't figure it out either.

I stopped by a friends on the way home and tested it out. It shoots great and almost no recoil to speak of with 2.5". My daughters are going to love shooting this.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knacker View Post
I had to laugh but it turns out I was the defective component of the gun.

I took the gun to the dealer and the smith fired 8 shots without issue. At first I was thinking that the lube I had sprayed around the pin just needed time but that wasn't it. The lever to break the action needed to be pulled back as far as it can while opening and then it is fully cocked. Not just enough to "break" but all the way.

I've only owned and shot 2 break action rifles, my childhood BB gun and now this one. The smith said it is a pretty common mistake. Not sure if he meant this specific model or in general, but a couple of my friends couldn't figure it out either.

I stopped by a friends on the way home and tested it out. It shoots great and almost no recoil to speak of with 2.5". My daughters are going to love shooting this.
Interesting, I have a friend with a single shot 12 gauge Turkish gun ( but not a Charlrs Daly) that has the same cocking system and he had the same issue
Brought it over and we figured it put in the garage
Cat
Old 01-07-2023, 09:21 AM

would be nice to find some 410 in stock to shoot!
Old 06-14-2023, 01:59 PM

I have two 12Ga Little Scorpio. The first that I purchased a couple of years ago misfired at a pretty good rate with the Federal Mini shotshells. A second or third strike would fire the shell. It fired slugs properly.

There was a sale on CeraKoting. I had it coated and tried a broader variety of ammo. It misfired with pretty much everything and now it wouldn't fire the Federal Minis at all.

I took it to the gunsmith who couldn't seem to correct the problem. The fees were more than the gun.

A second very experienced gun smith advised that the firing pin was off center and was hitting the primers off center. It could be fixed, but it would be hundreds of dollars.

I thought about buying an old Cooey, but the price of Cooeys is high. I can't have the Cooey barrel cut to 14" (legally). Also, I would want the barrel threaded for RemChokes and a new bead installed. Way too much money for a truck gun that isn't as short as the Little Scorpio.

After months of hemming and hawing, I decided to roll the dice and ordered a second Little Scorpio. I tested it with a variety of ammo and have not had a single misfire.

My conclusion? It is a $150-160 shotgun. The quality is hit and miss. Buyer beware.