Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Default Live traps for beavers

Has anyone have any experience with live trapping beavers for relocation. What tips would you have ?( summer time)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:08 PM

When doing beaver control for many agencies including a couple of counties I have had to live trap beavers in some situations. As for relocating them, most were euthanized because we were told by F&W that we could not randomly relocate beaver as we would be passing the problem on to someone else. Some beavers were relocated but it was done thru permits that were applied for thru other agencies or institutions. I was told if we relocated a beaver and it caused damage we could be held liable.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:39 PM

Default Beaver

Years ago when i did it for golf courses in the city, the only reason live traps were all that was permitted was due to bycatch and safety for dogs etc. Were not allowed to release live beavers anywhere. I would bait or mark climbouts and then trap at night. Stayed away from lodges until I was sure I caught the bigger adults as I set live traps in pairs and beavers learned very quickly what to avoid, so i would bait one or two days, or bait an open trap but lock it open for one night, then set them live the next night and try for pairs. Live traps are large and bulky but pretty easy to camoflauge. Is there a reason you want to live catch or is it a safety issue in your area? If its a humane issue (someone doesn't want them dead) then relocation will be only moving the problem, plus fish and wildlife really doesn't like unregulated release of any wildlife.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:39 PM

Bottle of rye and some coke placed under a mild crate anywhere along 17 ave in Calgary should net you some quality beaver.