Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 07:22 PM

Default Looking for information; cow hides

Just looking for points in the right direction; I work on a feedlot and often have access to dead cows. I’m curious about processing their hides for a side profit- been searching around for any information I can find but not having much luck. Price of hides? What work is required to get them to market (just skinned/fleshed/dried or full tan, de-haired, broken?) where to market...any pointers are appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 10:27 PM
AO Sponsor

Ask th owner at the local butcher shop, some hide buying feller will come by regularly and buy all his hides. The trick will come from figuring out where that guy sells his stuff. Someone will know, maybe better on th general forum?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:40 AM

I've seen hair-on tanned calf hides as rugs at IKEA, so there must be a market for them. Guess you could start there if you don't get a better lead.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 AM

Give Western Fur in Edmoton a call.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:08 PM

Western Fur tanneries site:
http://www.westernfurtannery.ca/skin-preperation/

There is Edmonton Fur tannery too but they don't have a website. I think they are still in business.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-04-2017, 10:00 PM

Thanks! Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 11:02 PM

Tough business. Almost impossible to do for a profit at a small scale.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-06-2017, 11:03 AM

I know the butcher in my town and the hide can't have any knife Knicks has to be very cleanly skinned or the money isn't there. Kinda like fur. His guy comes once a week. He also said that if it is under a certain amount of hides they charge him a pickup fee.

If I were you find your closest slaughter house a small operation. Talk to the owner maybe the hide guy will pick yours up at the same time.

Bill
Old 12-06-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
I know the butcher in my town and the hide can't have any knife Knicks has to be very cleanly skinned or the money isn't there. Kinda like fur. His guy comes once a week. He also said that if it is under a certain amount of hides they charge him a pickup fee.

If I were you find your closest slaughter house a small operation. Talk to the owner maybe the hide guy will pick yours up at the same time.

Bill
And that's just to get a guy to buy raw hides.

Most slaughterhouses are practically giving them away, maybe getting a few bucks now and then.
As noted, it sometimes costs butchers to get rid of them.... one really needs to pay attention to that fact.

In other words, No money at that end.

The next step is tanning.

If you are paying to have this done, unless you get some serious volume happening, tanners are charging near retail prices for large hides. That results in very little room for profit to be able to obtain product at a wholesale price for retail sale.

In order to pay for tanning and have a margin to retail the product, you need to get some volume.... now it is a whole new ballgame.
Lots of heavy, dirty, smelly work.

I've sent containers of buffalo hides to be organically tanned in Germany. Research showed that this was the only way to make money, even after starting with almost free hides from a slaughterhouse. Those hides stayed Germany, was and probably still is a good market, especially if you have a real Indian over there to sell them.
Wasn't worth it to bring them back to North America. Too much competition from large tanneries.

The most money available in this raw hide to finished product business is in the tanning.
To do it yourself for profit is quite a business in itself, not really something to be done on the side except for as a hobby.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-06-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

If you are paying to have this done, unless you get some serious volume happening, tanners are charging near retail prices for large hides.
I just got a quote on hair on tanning for a cow hide - $21/sq. ft. Given that a cow hide would be in the neighborhood of 50 sq. ft. it would cost over $1000 to get one tanned. Halfords is currently charging $615 for a hair on cow hide. Certainly no money to be made there.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
I just got a quote on hair on tanning for a cow hide - $21/sq. ft. Given that a cow hide would be in the neighborhood of 50 sq. ft. it would cost over $1000 to get one tanned. Halfords is currently charging $615 for a hair on cow hide. Certainly no money to be made there.
Not even when the raw hide is "free".

After a few thousand years, the Tanning business is pretty tight.
Very few scraps left over for the little birds.