Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 PM

Only in Canada...
Canadian Leftist Monkey see what US Leftist Monkey do...
Old 08-25-2017, 06:46 AM

Default Exactly asking who it is, is learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Perhaps you should reread my post.

My question was: what have you learned by staring at a statue? I agree he accomplished many things. I learned a great deal about him in school. I learned all of this in spite of never seeing his statue (or knowing it even existed).

I don't think there should be a statue for any one individual. None of his accomplishments were achieved alone, but furthermore, as i said originally, 90% of the people in this country would look at the statue and ask who it is.

Cheers
Statue's create inquisitive minds to look something up, do research and create's conversation which in turn create the element of learning.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I am offended by Trudeau Sr. Can we please have all references of him removed.

Seriously, this is just silly.

What about the Haida natives that wiped out other natives and kept them as slaves? Lets just remove them from history also.

Political correctness has gone to far.

Makes one wonder what the Alberta NDP are up to with rewriting the school curriculum in secret.
Ha! Good one, a lot of people don`t know about that. They used to send the young men out to rape, pillage and plunder. Sometimes they would be gone for 3 or more years. All the way down to California, striking fear in the hearts of peacefull tribes on the coast. When they came back they had women, riches and a place in the tribe. Good way to get the young guys out of camp for a while.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I am offended by Trudeau Sr. Can we please have all references of him removed.

Seriously, this is just silly.

What about the Haida natives that wiped out other natives and kept them as slaves? Lets just remove them from history also.

Political correctness has gone to far.

Makes one wonder what the Alberta NDP are up to with rewriting the school curriculum in secret.
Well said.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Statue's create inquisitive minds to look something up, do research and create's conversation which in turn create the element of learning.
To a degree, i would agree with this. And an appropriate location for this would be in a museum, which displays and teaches about history.

Cheers
Old 08-25-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I kind of disagree. Today's Canada just follows what is told to them on social media, that is why we are in such a bad place.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:05 AM
Banned

Absolutely absurd, but it's a classic case of liberal inspired political correctness, gone are the days of conservative common sense.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Absolutely absurd, but it's a classic case of liberal inspired political correctness, gone are the days of conservative common sense.
LOL - funny how it's only the conservatives that think it's common sense

Cheers
Old 08-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:

Cheers
Funny??? I was thinking sad. I guess it's what differentiates the left from the right.

FYI,

Right = Correct (i.e. "That's the right answer, you are smart!")

Left = What is not of any use (i.e. We picked all the nice apples off the tree, all the rotten ones were left")
Old 08-25-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Funny??? I was thinking sad. I guess it's what differentiates the left from the right.

FYI,

Right = Correct (i.e. "That's the right answer, you are smart!")

Left = What is not of any use (i.e. We picked all the nice apples off the tree, all the rotten ones were left")
Thanks Kurt, it's nice to know there's folks like you to clear everything up for us

Cheers
Old 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
It's estimated 25% of the Hiada population were slaves
The Haida went to war to acquire objects of wealth, such as coppers and Chilkat blankets, that were in short supply on the islands, but primarily for slaves, who enhanced their productivity or were traded to other tribes. High-ranking captives were also the source of other property received in ransom such as crest designs, dances and songs.

http://www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exhi...havwa01e.shtml

The indigenous people committed atrocities slaving, scalping and massacring for 1000's of years they just didn't leave a record.

Should the totem poles should come down?
History should be taught not erased

There are still Africans enslaving Africans to this day, there are slaves in the middle east and Asia TODAY, maybe there once was slavery practices imported from the old countries to this land, but this is STILL the part of world that ENDED the out in the open practice of slavery. (Unless you consider debt slavery, then everyone is STILL a slave)

So how are we responsible for slavery again?

The truth hurts, so what?, grow up and take it like a grown up.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:

Cheers
WEEWOO WEEWOO SJW ON THE LOOSE ALERT WEEWOO WEEWOO

Remember when they tore down all of the statues in Iraq?

They are WAAAAAY better off now that those racist statues have been torn down!

Lay off the CNN and msnbc dude that stuff will give you "constant outrage syndrome. ", its incurable it seems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-2.jpeg (8.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (8.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg images-3.jpeg (10.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg images-4.jpeg (14.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg images-30.jpeg (9.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by ReconWilly; 08-25-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Kurt, it's nice to know there's folks like you to clear everything up for us

Cheers
You know me....

Always there to help!!!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
WEEWOO WEEWOO SJW ON THE LOOSE ALERT WEEWOO WEEWOO

Remember when they tore down all of the statues in Iraq?

They are WAAAAAY better off now that those racist statues have been torn down!

Lay off the CNN and msnbc dude that stuff will give you "constant outrage syndrome. ", its incurable it seems.
Not sure what SJW stands for. Not sure how the statues and the state of Irag have to do with each other. But if you're insisting the statues should have stayed up because Hussein was obviously a leader that folks should bow at their feet, I will respectfully disagree.

I'm also not outraged, I can't watch CNN (i didn't get the news package with my cable tv), so my opinions are....wait for it.....my own! sorry to disappoint you.

Cheers
Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
There are still Africans enslaving Africans to this day, there are slaves in the middle east and Asia TODAY, maybe there once was slavery practices imported from the old countries to this land, but this is STILL the part of world that ENDED the out in the open practice of slavery.....

........So how are we responsible for slavery again?
And the leftys are in denial about it, and simply won't listen when you point it out. They're too busy interrupting by screaming and shouting. (Which means they "won the argument").

"If it weren't for double standards, the left wouldn't have any standards at all".
- Grouchy Old Cripple

He's greedy, too.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:49 PM

Thank God it wasn't left leaning progressive thinkers who set out to found Canada, they wouldn't have even survived the trip across the ocean. Undoubtedly terrible things did happen during Canada's road to Confederation, but one would hope that we can in fact learn from past mistakes, not try to bury them. I don't think that 150 years ago hugging it out, protesting or just clasping our hands wishing for things to work out would have been very successful. It obviously isn't working now.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:17 PM

Default whats next is?????

first speech, then rights, then money, then guns and ammo, then camps, ovens or islam or death.

banks will grab the cash money & provide shares in lieu of, but you can't pay bills with that

Poverty is a way to control masses, Pagans and politicians hence created the bible 300 years after the death of a dude named Jesus and of course the Jews killed that guy so hate the Jews etc.

Honestly their are not that many elites and if something happened to like 80% of them that was permanent, we could all live peacefully and prosperously.

Us or them decide

Just saying

Being defeated is optional!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:03 PM

At least the Globe and Mail has a decent, well written editorial about this topic.

GLOBE EDITORIAL
Globe editorial: Goodbye, Sir John A.? Goodbye Canada
The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Aug. 25, 2017 3:00PM EDT
Last updated Friday, Aug. 25, 2017 3:06PM EDT
5 Comments PrintLicense article

The union representing teachers in Ontario’s public elementary schools last week passed a resolution calling on the province to rename buildings bearing the name of that noted historical villain, Sir John A. Macdonald. It’s an absurd idea – insulting to our history, and to the intelligence of Canadians. But given the temper of the times, you can expect many more such demands in the years to come.

There are cases and places when the people we honour, and the context in which we honour them, needs to be seriously reconsidered. Just look at the Southern United States, which is dotted with statutes of the heroes of the Confederacy, men like Jefferson Davis, president of the slave-holding states that rebelled against the United States.

Davis was the founding father of a country whose cornerstone principle was that all men are not created equal, and that one race should remain perpetually in bondage, labouring in chains for the benefit of another race. That was what the Confederacy was about. Its entire purpose was the perpetuation of slavery; its government was established to uphold and maintain it. There is much to remember in all of this, but little to celebrate.

That’s why anyone who asks why there are so many Jefferson Davis statutes in the centre of so many town squares across the U.S. South is asking the right question. And that’s why anyone calling for the removal of those statutes, or at the least their transformation into historical exhibits rather than statements of civic pride and purpose, is making a perfectly reasonable request. The statutes were erected, in many cases not until the 1950s and 60s, as explicit rejections of the civil rights movement, and as statements of support for the maintenance of state-sanctioned segregation and discrimination against black Americans.

The dead of the Civil War, the bloodiest conflict in American history, deserve to be honoured. Their graves and cemeteries, along with the many memorials to simple soldiers, need not be disturbed. But monuments that treat the leaders of the Confederacy as heroes make no sense. Men like Jefferson Davis tried to destroy the United States, and all that is best about the principles of equality at the heart of the American project.

Contrast that with Sir John A. Macdonald and the Fathers of Confederation. They created Canada. They laid the legal, constitutional and moral foundation of what is arguably the most successful, prosperous, fair and free society on the planet. Who among us – who among the greats of history – can say that they did as much good for the world? Very few.

This place where we are all lucky enough to live is a project they set in motion. They brought together multiple colonies and two deeply antagonist linguistic and religious groups, creating a roadmap for peaceful co-operation, co-existence and shared nationhood. The country that Sir John A. was instrumental in creating has not always been perfect, nor will it always be perfect in future. It would be unfair to hold any human institution to that standard. They were politicians, not gods.

But the story of Canada – the story we honour when we put the name of our first Prime Minister on a school or a civic building – is a story that contains far more good than bad, and far more success than failure. You would have to be willfully ignorant of the richness of our shared history to see it otherwise.

The country that came into existence in 1867 because of the statesmanship of the Fathers of Confederation has led to ever-increasing peace, order, good government, liberty and prosperity for those of us lucky enough to live here. As we have written before in this space, the history of Canada could easily have looked like that of Northern Ireland, marked by decades of ethnic strife and violence, attracting the world’s attention for all the wrong reasons. That Canada did not end up that way is more than just an accident.

No, not all of the values and tendencies of Sir John A.’s day line up with those of today. (And 150 years from now, the same will be said of us.) A century and a half ago, women didn’t have the vote. Indigenous Canadians were largely treated as obstacles to be surmounted, and there is much to remedy and apologize for on that score. The Metis were given a raw deal. The Canada of a century and a half ago was gung ho for more immigration, just as long as the immigrants were European. Our current Prime Minister will march in every Pride parade that invites him; our first Prime Minister lived in a world where such a thing did not exist. And we doubt he ever asked anyone which pronouns they preferred.

We cannot expect the past to have shared all of today’s values; that would only be possible in a world in which there is neither change nor progress. But today’s Canada did not fall from the sky this morning. It is not a tabula rasa. Our liberal, democratic, rule-of-law system, with constitutionalism and federalism and habits of negotiation and peaceful coexistence, is what the Fathers of Confederation established and reinforced.

Without the actions they took in the past, our present does not exist, and we have no future.

Putting Macdonald in the same box as Jefferson Davis – just more dead, white, male racists, right? – is the height of ignorance. One diminished human freedom and possibilities. The other created a country that does the opposite.

To see the founding of Canada wholly or primarily as an act of injustice and oppression, and the lead founder of Canada as a person whose name needs to be expunged, is to have read the story of this country while wearing blinders.

Report Typo/Error
Follow us on Twitter: @GlobeDebate
Old 08-25-2017, 07:00 PM

Leave the statues alone. Everywhere.........you wouldn't have to be a history buff to not get chills standing beside Mandela's.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:52 PM

Disband the 'Elementary Teachers Federation - weren't teachers integral to the residential school systems? They should be silenced, banned and forced to hang their heads in shame.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Banned

.......well selfie the clown is a piece of history I wish they would sweep under the carpet right now!!