Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I thought this was going to be about him looking at the eclipse.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 AM

The idea of "winning" in Afghanistan is ridiculous and shows a total lack of understanding of the situation there and in the greater region. ISIS and the Taliban etc are not confined to afghani space so occupying there at any level will not stomp out anything. There are countries all over the area harboring and supporting terrorists and no end to the number of people ready to take a fallen comrades place. Unless the terrorist decide to start wearing uniforms and all the ME and Asian countries decide to let us in to exterminate them there isn't much we can do.

The best we could do in Afghanistan is set up and defend safe havens for those who don't want to fight. Create and enforce arms free area's and let the rest kill each other.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think the best we can hope for is a dictator/warlord who isn't religiously motivated. He will keep the lid on things by force. We just have to forget all this democracy/human rights stuff. Who in the heck thought it was a good idea to get rid of Saddam???
Even if the leader/dictator is not religious, he probably will use religion to control the masses who are religious. I can not see the Afghan people tolerating a ruler that is not at least 100% devout In appearance.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:13 PM

I'm convinced that instead of spending such a horrible amount on an unwinnable war, it would be way more cost effective in terms of money and life, to absolutely saturate those countries with western luxury items for leisure: big screen tvs, xbox and playstation with all the newest games, smart phones, tablets and laptops, and teach them how to use instagram, facebook, snapchat, and take lots of selfies....loads of junk food and energy drinks. Streaming Netflix. Online dating sights. Online poker! Layers and layers of western influence and distraction. Then give them inexpensive college and university education where they can learn about all the neo liberal politically correct ways of thinking, get their brains programmed to the proper social agenda.

Then watch their culture decay from within. Problem solved.

Oh, wait......

Is that too cynical?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-22-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I'm convinced that instead of spending such a horrible amount on an unwinnable war, it would be way more cost effective in terms of money and life, to absolutely saturate those countries with western luxury items for leisure: big screen tvs, xbox and playstation with all the newest games, smart phones, tablets and laptops, and teach them how to use instagram, facebook, snapchat, and take lots of selfies....loads of junk food and energy drinks. Streaming Netflix. Online dating sights. Online poker! Layers and layers of western influence and distraction. Then give them inexpensive college and university education where they can learn about all the neo liberal politically correct ways of thinking, get their brains programmed to the proper social agenda.

Then watch their culture decay from within. Problem solved.

Oh, wait......

Is that too cynical?
There is only one sure solution, that being to educate women ... one generation at minimum.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
There is only one sure solution, that being to educate women ... one generation at minimum.
If you can keep the young jihadi men distracted with Call Of Duty, should be safe for the gals to go to school.....good thinking!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Twisted Canuck , I don't have a one line answer to this complex problem but I do try to operate in the K.I.S.S. principle.

I think one reason this is an ongoing problem is because it's a military problem and gov't have jerked around with political and financial solutions. The military efforts are for appearance only. It's like using a pail to pound the nails to frame a house and using a hammer to bail water out of a flooded basement.

Give the military an objective and the people and equipment to do achieve it and get the hell out of their way. After they have done what they have been trained to do then the politicians can go in and mess it up again.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-22-2017, 02:40 PM

Poor Afghanistan, cursed with all of this treasure she won't be left alone anytime soon. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/wo...s.html?mcubz=0
Old 08-22-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Twisted Canuck , I don't have a one line answer to this complex problem but I do try to operate in the K.I.S.S. principle.

I think one reason this is an ongoing problem is because it's a military problem and gov't have jerked around with political and financial solutions. The military efforts are for appearance only. It's like using a pail to pound the nails to frame a house and using a hammer to bail water out of a flooded basement.

Give the military an objective and the people and equipment to do achieve it and get the hell out of their way. After they have done what they have been trained to do then the politicians can go in and mess it up again.

Agree that the military/political cluster show is a no win for the poor boots on the ground, they just need to be allowed to do the job they are sent to do. I just don't see a win even then though, as the Soviets had a pretty lose set of ROEs, up to and including using chemical weapons and dropping bombs disguised as toys to get the next generation of mujahadeen early. They had superior firepower, and a desire to use it. But they still lost (the Stingers didn't help their cause, and they also didn't win any long term love for the USA either).

Anyway, its a sad deal over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Poor Afghanistan, cursed with all of this treasure she won't be left alone anytime soon. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/wo...s.html?mcubz=0
And that story is 7 years old and all that wealth is still untapped, but gives an indication of why the USA might actually want to stay. Recoup their losses maybe...... Can you imagine putting every young man, old man, boy, girl, whoever, to work in the mines? It would make a very few people staggeringly wealthy, and the rest just the same indentured slaves as you see in other countries with similar mineral wealth (Congo, others). But at least when you are working yourself to death, you don't have much time for Jihad.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Agree that the military/political cluster show is a no win for the poor boots on the ground, they just need to be allowed to do the job they are sent to do. I just don't see a win even then though, as the Soviets had a pretty lose set of ROEs, up to and including using chemical weapons and dropping bombs disguised as toys to get the next generation of mujahadeen early. They had superior firepower, and a desire to use it. But they still lost (the Stingers didn't help their cause, and they also didn't win any long term love for the USA either).
Once again, if you had listened to Trump's speech you would have heard him say that no longer would it be micromanaged from DC but onsite battlefield commanders would be making the necessary decisions.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Once again, if you had listened to Trump's speech you would have heard him say that no longer would it be micromanaged from DC but onsite battlefield commanders would be making the necessary decisions.
Give it a rest already, I watched most of it, and read plenty about it. What you don't seem to grasp is it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what he said. Even if they do pursue it just exactly like he said...It. Won't. Matter.

Jesus man, read your history already....

Old 08-22-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Trump has a history of making big promises and accomplishing nothing.

Trump has a history of compulsive lying.

Trump has demonstrated a staggering lack of understanding the most basic foreign policy and world politics.

I watched his pattern repeat on a daily basis for the last 8 months and I expect nothing significant to occur in Afghanistan that will improve the situation there. This is yet another giant puff of hot air to divert the attention from his last daily self inflicted train wreck.
Looks like he is a politician after all.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Considering lithium helps reduce the severity and frequency of mania, I bet Trump is looking to get his hands on those deposits has soon as possible.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
Looks like he is a politician after all.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:24 PM

In 2013

Yesterday

(I know that's not what he said)
Old 08-22-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Old 08-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Gone Hunting

So it's Lithium this time. not oil??/

Would it be cheaper to develop the resource than wage war for years to get cheap lithium? Financially, politically, loss of life, world opinion?

Develop a country or destroy it? HMMMMMMMM.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-22-2017, 05:49 PM

^ but then not all your friends get rich in the process.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Don't forget that after a country is destroyed by war, their are plenty of no bid contracts to rebuild.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:40 PM

And that story is 7 years old and all that wealth is still untapped,

That wealth is still untapped 7 years later? Do you think it has something to do with the country still being at war? Disaster capitalism doesn't just happen overnight.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Give it a rest already, I watched most of it, and read plenty about it. What you don't seem to grasp is it doesn't make a damn bit of difference what he said. Even if they do pursue it just exactly like he said...It. Won't. Matter.

Jesus man, read your history already....
So what did he say the plan was? And quit contradicting your own posts, it makes you look daft.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
So what did he say the plan was? And quit contradicting your own posts, it makes you look daft.
Pop Quiz? Here, read it yourself, complete transcript and speech. Your insistence that his speech has any significance is making you look daft.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/w...n.html?mcubz=1

Old 08-22-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
LOL
He doesn't believe the science on that either
Old 08-23-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Pop Quiz? Here, read it yourself, complete transcript and speech. Your insistence that his speech has any significance is making you look daft.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/w...n.html?mcubz=1
Ha Ha! Whatever.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your insistence that his speech has any significance is making you look daft.
I insist that his speech last night will go down in history as having a great deal of historical significance, as in last nail in the coffin significance. My guess is he will be completely abandoned or overthrown within a month, or assassinated.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:34 PM

Military Industrial complex will be happy. Those of his base who are against endless wars won't be pleased. I give 2020 to Hillary.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
I give 2020 to Hillary.
I think she's done. She's had two runs at it. Obama and Trump both beat her. Whatever your political persuasion, either way she lost to one of the worst Presidents the country has ever had. LOL
Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 PM

Default You guys get it, un-winnable

They kicked the Brits out over 100 years ago and only his lordship the C.O. made it out alive.

The advice from the Generals sounds a lot like what they were saying during Vietnam, just a few more troops.

I hope that the US can get out of there without a lot of soldiers getting killed of captured. Just like what Trump said during the campaign.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think she's done. She's had two runs at it. Obama and Trump both beat her. Whatever your political persuasion, either way she lost to one of the worst Presidents the country has ever had. LOL
She did alright for both of his terms.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
She did alright for both of his terms.
She did great?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1umlpo.jpg (30.0 KB, 12 views)