Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2017, 06:44 AM

Default **Who is good at plastering and sanding**

Hi I'm looking to speak to someone who is excellent at this artistic skill! I would say it's one of the hardest parts of a house build and those who are great at it have a desired skill. If your highly skilled at plastering and sanding in residential applications or know someone who is please PM so we can discuss a potential partnership in my house build. Thanks look forward to hearing from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2017, 12:28 PM

I'm not a pro at it but I've done it a few times. I'm sure there are many others on this forum with exceptional skills in this field. One thing I was told the first time I did was after taping, go wide with the mud or go home. 10" to 16". I'm not sure if that's right or not but it turned out ok for my first time.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:03 PM

Many many years experience, and exceptionally good at and proud of my work.... and too far away to help you. The only thing I will suggest is don't do it yourself, and don't get the 'cheapest' guy you can find. You are making a big investment building your house, and a bad taping job will make your house look like crap no matter how well built it actually is, and will very adversely affect resale if you ever do.

A friend (I hunt on his land) built a very large expensive home. He had a price from someone that was probably $3000 less than I would have done it for. That is about a half a percent of what the build cost was. I was busy at the time anyway, so didn't make any difference to me, but I told him to go look at some of this person's work, as I didn't know him. He didn't go look, as he was 'referred' by somebody. He got a terrible job, butt ugly. He saved three grand and has a million dollar home that looks like hell. Not much savings there.

Better to spend a little bit more, and get a good job and be happy with it, instead of being bothered by the home you live in. You really don't want a job that's 'ok for the first time', not when you are investing money in a build. Really, it's a fraction of a percent more to get it done right.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 08-25-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Many many years experience, and exceptionally good at and proud of my work.... and too far away to help you. The only thing I will suggest is don't do it yourself, and don't get the 'cheapest' guy you can find. You are making a big investment building your house, and a bad taping job will make your house look like crap no matter how well built it actually is, and will very adversely affect resale if you ever do.

A friend (I hunt on his land) built a very large expensive home. He had a price from someone that was probably $3000 less than I would have done it for. That is about a half a percent of what the build cost was. I was busy at the time anyway, so didn't make any difference to me, but I told him to go look at some of this person's work, as I didn't know him. He didn't go look, as he was 'referred' by somebody. He got a terrible job, butt ugly. He saved three grand and has a million dollar home that looks like hell. Not much savings there.

Better to spend a little bit more, and get a good job and be happy with it, instead of being bothered by the home you live in. You really don't want a job that's 'ok for the first time', not when you are investing money in a build. Really, it's a fraction of a percent more to get it done right.
This is the the truth. It costs more to fix a bad taping job then to do it the first time. The good guys will be busy for a reason if you have to wait a couple of weeks for someone good then so be it.