Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2017, 08:27 AM

Default Read it and Weep

Probably no surprise here, but when you see it in black and white, it's pretty damn discouraging:

http://business.financialpost.com/op...argest-expense

It's obvious we need the Liberal Government to keep growing, we need Big Government, so they can deal with this problem.....

Value for tax dollars....poor.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned

What really amasses me is that many members on this forum have stated on other threads that they would not mind more taxes if it was for a specific reason. Or a sales tax. Or bring back health care premiums. I also hear it on talk shows.
It baffles me that anybody would think raising taxes or user fees is a good thing.
I suppose if you work in the public service, or are an elected official you might be in favour of higher taxes and user fees.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:18 AM

I work in the construction consulting industry. We do a fair amount of government work. The amount of waste in multiple layers of management, arcane tendering practices, etc. makes me sick. The taxpayer money that gets spent on 'stupid stuff' is mind boggling.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:32 AM

So much is just wasted... I'd be OK if it could all be traced back to roads, schools, healthcare, emergency services, defence, or even helping the poor. But it's not.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:10 PM

Yes, the profligate waste of our hard earned dollars is the most painful part. If you put the government in charge of the Sahara desert, they'd run out of sand in a couple years.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-25-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
If you put the government in charge of the Sahara desert, they'd run out of sand in a couple years.
Well said!
Old 08-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So much is just wasted... I'd be OK if it could all be traced back to roads, schools, healthcare, emergency services, defence, or even helping the poor. But it's not.
X2 I have to justify and have good reason to spend my disposable income. And when I do I price shop to get the best value for my dollar.
Too often it seems that while the government is supposed to operate in this fashion...it just doesn't.