Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM

Default Doin the drive north

Im goin north to catch fish I wanna hit utikama I wanna get into perch n but of n jack maybe walleye but I want some feedback please believe me neither me n my gf eat fish and we do have respect for the outdoors catch and release only can some of y'all gimme a good advice where to go or is utikama the place to go thx yall
Old 01-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Utikama can be hit or miss. Drive up and let us know how it goes...
Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
Im goin north to catch fish I wanna hit utikama I wanna get into perch n but of n jack maybe walleye but I want some feedback please believe me neither me n my gf eat fish and we do have respect for the outdoors catch and release only can some of y'all gimme a good advice where to go or is utikama the place to go thx yall

For someone that doesn't eat fish, you're sure driving a far ways. Anyways, expect to catch 20...3lb jacks to 1 walleye. Good luck
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
For someone that doesn't eat fish, you're sure driving a far ways. Anyways, expect to catch 20...3lb jacks to 1 walleye. Good luck
and i know a few people who go there and the walleye are pretty small when you do get one.
perch are slow but good sizeed
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush View Post
and i know a few people who go there and the walleye are pretty small when you do get one.
perch are slow but good sizeed
You sure the walleye are all small?

Last edited by highwood; 01-25-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 PM

not all small but just the 45cm stuff getting on the hook before the big ones
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM

Care to change your answer?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:37 PM

thats a beauty 'eye!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:42 PM

Utik eyes can be very big. Go to the first island straight out from KM 80 access, and fish on the west side, there is a horseshoe bay. Fish the north point on the sandbar running out from the first Island. Use a Chartreause or firetiger Krokodile spoon with a minnow and a stinger hook. Hold on as there are some big jacks around as well.

For the Perch, drive northwest to the second big Island. Go to the middle of it and look for 20 FOW and keep going west until you can see the end of the island. Somewhere in there you will find the perch, and some pretty good eyes as well.

It kills me that I can't join you. Utik can be tough especially on a weather change. It is a very big lake. However, once you find them you will be done in 20 minutes.

Drewski
Old 01-25-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Utik eyes can be very big. Go to the first island straight out from KM 80 access, and fish on the west side, there is a horseshoe bay. Fish the north point on the sandbar running out from the first Island. Use a Chartreause or firetiger Krokodile spoon with a minnow and a stinger hook. Hold on as there are some big jacks around as well.

For the Perch, drive northwest to the second big Island. Go to the middle of it and look for 20 FOW and keep going west until you can see the end of the island. Somewhere in there you will find the perch, and some pretty good eyes as well.

It kills me that I can't join you. Utik can be tough especially on a weather change. It is a very big lake. However, once you find them you will be done in 20 minutes.

Drewski
lol...does Utik actually have 20 ft of water
Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
lol...does Utik actually have 20 ft of water
Indeed it does.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 AM

Shmag,

Have you ever spent any time exploring Utik? I GAVE YOU THE EXACT LOCATION! If you doubt me, go cut some holes and prove me wrong.

LOL, LOL, LOL. Why do you have to post stupid acronyms. If you think I don't know what I am talking about, show me otherwise.

Drewski
Old 01-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Easy there Drewski, I think Shmag was just joking around about the fact that Utikima is a pretty shallow lake for it's size. I've been there at least once a year for the last 6 and I've never seen anything 20 feet deep, but then again I've never fished where you pointed out.

Appreciate the info though, as some buddies and I will be trying the far island for perch next week. Don't usually catch many perch there but when you get on them they are usually huge! We'll be up for a few days so hopefully by the time we leave I'll have my 15.

Definately a long way to go for catch and release fishing, but you'll have no problem hammering small to medium jack all day long, you can literally drill anywhere on that lake for those!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM

There are actually multiple spots from 18 to 23 feet. The one Drewski mentioned is one of them. If you have a hydrograph of Utikuma, I suggest you don't trust it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
What the hell does yall mlean? Is it the amount a boat will lean as in yawl or what?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Shmag,

Have you ever spent any time exploring Utik? I GAVE YOU THE EXACT LOCATION! If you doubt me, go cut some holes and prove me wrong.

LOL, LOL, LOL. Why do you have to post stupid acronyms. If you think I don't know what I am talking about, show me otherwise.

Drewski
Ohhh kay.....laughing my ass off....(lmao)

Not doubting you at all Drewski. Just said that as it is a shallow lake, and yes i spend a bit of time exploring Utik. I think you know what you're talking about on Utik, but the rest of your post and mine before...well you obviously don't...

Anyways, my apologies for whatever may of offended you in my last couple posts...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokercraft View Post
Easy there Drewski, I think Shmag was just joking around about the fact that Utikima is a pretty shallow lake for it's size. I've been there at least once a year for the last 6 and I've never seen anything 20 feet deep, but then again I've never fished where you pointed out.

Appreciate the info though, as some buddies and I will be trying the far island for perch next week. Don't usually catch many perch there but when you get on them they are usually huge! We'll be up for a few days so hopefully by the time we leave I'll have my 15.

Definately a long way to go for catch and release fishing, but you'll have no problem hammering small to medium jack all day long, you can literally drill anywhere on that lake for those!
There is a weed patch off the south/west corner of the big island that can produce at the right time of year. You won't be far from it from Drewski's directions, somewhere in between the two is a pretty big heave. I almost got trapped on the island a month ago when the heave opened up. Probably travelled 7-8 miles before finding a place to cross.

I fished the area that drewski was talking about in the past, last time we did, actually did pretty good on whites as well. Good luck

Last edited by Shmag; 01-26-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
What the hell does yall mlean? Is it the amount a boat will lean as in yawl or what?
y'all as in you all? ?? lmao
Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:

Drewski
thx a ton man ill let ya know how she goes if I end up there should be good last time we got a few nice walters