Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Question Parker youth bows?

Hello!

I have decided to FINALLY get a compound bow this winter, to get myself ready for next years archery season for my first big game archery hunt.

Since I am a short draw female archer there were two affordable bow packages by Parker that have had good reviews. Like to know people's opinions on which to go for.

The Extreme Sidekick. weighs only just over 3 pounds, draw weight 20-40 pounds, 80 percent let-off, max IBO 270

or for more $ the Diamond Razors Edge, weight 3.3 pounds, draw weight 30-60 pounds, up to 75 percent let-off, max IBO 308

Legal deer draw weight is 40 pounds min. here in Alberta so I want to build up to that. I have also had issues with some muscle weakness due to surgery, but am determined to go for it. I use a 24 pounds traditional recurve for small game and love it, have had no problems with that.

thoughts??
thanks again,
jen
Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 AM

no help from me , but i'd love to hear how it works out, my 12 yr old daughter is wanting in on the fun soon !
Old 12-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Bunny,

Take a look at the Bear Apprentice. It is a great bow, well made and very good value. It also has a wide range of weight and draws length settings.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM

I have an 8 year old that loves archery, so he can always use the bow too

Just have to get my draw length measured again. cant remember if its 27 or 28....
Old 12-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntercam View Post
Bunny,

Take a look at the Bear Apprentice. It is a great bow, well made and very good value. It also has a wide range of weight and draws length settings.

That is what was recommended for our 12y/o daughter. We just haven't bought it yet.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:16 AM

Default Seeing as I work at an Archery Dept...

Between the Parker and Diamond, they both are solid bows, so is the Bear. I do prefer the fit and finish of the Diamond over all three, especially since we sell the Parker and Diamond for $420. The bear is $350, and it is more suitable for younger archers (youth/children); not that it would not work, I assure you that it would.

If your planning a trip to Bass Pro, stop by the archery dept. we have all three, we can set them up and you can decide for yourself.

cheers
Old 12-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Default Bear Apprentice...

I would highly recommend the bear apprentice! My wife picked one up and she absolutely LOVES it...

Had her in the treestand within her first 2-3 weeks of shooting. Nice little bow and the cost is awesome! I think we walked outta WSS spending only about 350'ish include a dozen arrows, hard case, release and broadheads!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg treestand.jpg (76.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 AM

I am bias towards the Diamond, if i was going today to buy a bow for my son to move up into a hunting bow it would be the Razors Edge. I like the looks and build of the bow and being adjustable up to 60lbs is a huge selling feature for me. The bows that top out at 40 are just barely leagal, they can probably be cranked up to 42-43 but I think having the option of going beyond that is great, if you can handle it and bulild up the muscle for it.

Good Luck!

PS I know that Calgary archery center has a few Razor Edges on the rack right now and I think the people there are great to deal with, actually my oldest son and I are on our way right now to fling some arrows!!