Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2024, 11:50 AM

Default Left or Right Hand Retrieve

When I started fishing close to 60 years ago, I was given a spin cast setup with right hand retrieve. I used that configuration, until I moved away from home, then I bought a spinning setup, and used the handle on the right side, because it felt familiar, even though many people retrieved with the left hand. When I started fly fishing ,I used my right hand to retrive, the same with mooching gear. Recently, I purchased a baitcasting reel to use for jigging, again right hand retrieve.
Last summer the GF came fishing with us, and when I looked over, she had the spinning rod upside down, and was cranking backwards with her left hand. I offered to change the handle to the left, but she said that she was comfortable with it, the way it was. Next spring , I will have her try the handle on the left, and then I will see if she prefers bait casting gear for jigging.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:29 PM

I reel with my left hand because I prefer to work lures, cast and set the hook with my right. This goes for fly rods, spinning, bait caster, jigging and anything else

But I am messed up I shoot left, write with my right hand, and overall mixed up using different hands for different things
Old 03-04-2024, 12:59 PM

Yup, play hockey and ball right handed, shoot pool and guns left handed, reel with my left and write with my right.......in medieval times I'd be burned at the stake lol!!
Old 03-04-2024, 02:27 PM

I know that you SHOULD reel with your non-dominant hand, but I just can't do anything with that hand (my left)... like I have ZERO coordination with it. So I still reel with my right (dominant) and use my non-dominant as the power-brace for the rod. Completely ass backwards, but I have to. I'm useless with the left.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:43 PM

Every kind of rod and reel combo, I hold the rod with my grip hand and reel with my thumb hand. It just seems natural.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:20 PM

I've never understood casting with your right hand and then switching hands to reel.....especially on a baitcast setup. Like mentioned id much prefer to work the lure and fight the fish with my dominant hand. Cast right reel left.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:59 PM

Cast with Right (dominant hand) real with left. When I was about 12 I read an article that said it was the correct way for whatever reason i switched then and never looked back.

Now I look at it like playing base ball throw with your dominant hand catch with the other unless your name is Jim Abbot.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:05 PM

If I worked the rod with my right hand, it wouldn't be fair to the fish.

When I see the bass pros on TV casting with one hand and reeling with the other, it looks like someone braking with their left foot. That **** ain't right.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I know that you SHOULD reel with your non-dominant hand, but I just can't do anything with that hand (my left)... like I have ZERO coordination with it. So I still reel with my right (dominant) and use my non-dominant as the power-brace for the rod. Completely ass backwards, but I have to. I'm useless with the left.
Exact situation here.

Fly fishing: cast with my right, work the line with my left, set the hook with my right, switch hands and reel with my right

Conventional rods: cast right, work the lure right, reel right, set the hook right, switch hands and reel with my right.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:03 PM

I am right handed but when it comes to the bait casting reels, I prefer to use the left handed model so I can fight the fish (especially halibut) while holding the rod in my right hand and reel them in with the left.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:48 PM

I reel with my right.
I separated my right elbow a couple of years ago and thought, no big deal, I will just switch. I found out my left hand is useless for reeling!

Roles are reversed for shaving, I would slice my face off if I shaved with my right hand.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:38 PM

Dominant right handed very bad. Except a jab. But usually cast right handed or both hands, reel right handed. Can't see it changing now.

I wonder if it actually affects catch rate.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-04-2024, 08:12 PM

I hold the reel with my dominant hand and reel with the other one. I use spinning gear and feel like it would be awkward if I did it any other way.

On a side note you do see lots of people on shows pass the rod to the opposite hand after casting and I feel like I would get annoyed if I did that all the time.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:20 PM

All of my reels used to be set up to reel with the right hand and I am right dominant

I changed all my fly reels over years ago because it doesn't make sense to cast with your right hand and then switch hands to reel with your right hand, especially if you are playing a bigger fish. So they are now all set up to reel left hand.

My 2 jigging rods also used to be set up to reel right, but again it doesn't make sense to run the motor with your left hand but reel with your right as you need to switch hands holding the rod. So all jigging rods are now left hand as well.

The only thing still right hand retrieve is my bottom bouncing and trolling rods. Only because I would need to buy new reels to make them go to left hand.

It didint take long to get used to reeling left.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:20 PM

Turning the handle on a reel is a repetitive motion that can be accomplished easily with you non dominant hand. Same thing for stripping fly line.

Casting would be done with the hand you throw a ball with.
You do a lot of more complex motions with the hand that holds the rod; jigging for walleye, and mending fly line immediately come to mind.

For me it doesn't matter if it's a fly rod, a spinning rod or a baitcaster, the rod is held in my right hand at all times and I turn the handle with my left.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:24 PM

I cast with right reel with left. It drives me crazy on charter the guides reels are alway right handed reels. Never been on one charter with left hand reels
Old 03-04-2024, 08:55 PM

I don’t think there’s a wrong way of reeling a rod just do what’s comfortable for you. Growing up with a south paw father I was taught to reel with my right hand obviously because my dad was left handed and all the rods were his that we used. To this day I reel with my right and fight fish with my left but when holding the rod trolling I hold with my right and then switch to left after a hook set. I do the same with a fork and knife eating steak. Lol.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:20 AM

I cast with my right, reel with my right.

Shoot right handed, golf right handed, write right handed, throw right handed and play hockey left handed. No idea why, just the way it is.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:26 AM

I'm right-handed....alway from day 1...back in the mid 70's ha e always used my left to reel, right controls the rod and cast. I have fished with many people who are right handed and reel right. My Grandfather, who taught me the majority of my fishing lessons as a very young lad, always mocked very loudly, people who switched hands after casting using the example of switching glove hands in baseball...lol...always stuck with me. In conversation with people whom I have since gone fishing with, many have changed how they now reel after trying it after many years of doing the opposite because it felt more natural. I have had to go as far as bringing my own gear down south now as mention befor all guides seem to use right handed reels. I will admit however the only exception is what I refer to has a "Rod Wench" where the rod is mounted in a fixed holder on the gunnels and you are basically just cranking a wench to pull a 250lb plus fish in. But as others have mentioned....you do you and if it works, don't fix it...unless you want to do it Better!...lol
Old 03-05-2024, 07:47 AM

I'm right handed and was taught the same way. cast with the right hand, then swap the rod to the left and retrieve with my right hand.
about 4 years ago i realized that it was slightly inefficient (happened where id get a hit before i swaped hands and would miss the fish) and i started training myself to reel on the left side now. now that its comfortable for me, i definitely prefer retrieving with my left. my line counter reels feel weird to me with the right hand retrieve.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:51 AM

As long as you don’t hold your rod upside and reel backwards you do you.

For those who commit the sin of the upside down/backwards offense we are not the same and I am not sure you can even call yourself a fisherman

There is a limit to my willingness to except “different” people and have to draw the line somewhere lol
Old 03-05-2024, 08:48 AM

Put the rod on the ground and pick it up. Keep that hand on the rod and reel with the other. Naturally, you'll pick it up with your dominant hand.

Similar to hockey. Your dominant hand should be your top hand because it controls the stick. Your other hand just pushes.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:54 AM

Casting rods i reel with my left, use bait casters for bottom bouncing either one is fine, jigging same thing
Old 03-05-2024, 08:56 AM

Wow, I didn't think this was going to be such a popular topic.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:29 AM

There is no right or wrong. Whatever works for you go with it.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
The only thing still right hand retrieve is my bottom bouncing and trolling rods. Only because I would need to buy new reels to make them go to left hand.
If there was ever an excuse to buy new gear, this is it.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
I cast with right reel with left. It drives me crazy on charter the guides reels are alway right handed reels. Never been on one charter with left hand reels
Agree. So weird. You would think left hand reel and holding heavy rods with dominant right hand would make most sense?
Old 03-07-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
All of my reels used to be set up to reel with the right hand and I am right dominant

I changed all my fly reels over years ago because it doesn't make sense to cast with your right hand and then switch hands to reel with your right hand, especially if you are playing a bigger fish. So they are now all set up to reel left hand.

My 2 jigging rods also used to be set up to reel right, but again it doesn't make sense to run the motor with your left hand but reel with your right as you need to switch hands holding the rod. So all jigging rods are now left hand as well.

It didint take long to get used to reeling left.
Why doesn't it make sense? I've been doing that for over 60 years.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Why doesn't it make sense? I've been doing that for over 60 years.
Lots of guys out there do but there is also those who fish with a spinning reel upside down too.

But really consider the unnecessary movement involved switching hands. I could get into other reasons but they have already been listed

Whatever works for you in the end
Old 03-07-2024, 09:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
There is no right or wrong. Whatever works for you go with it.

Exactly, let the experts try to wrap their heads around it as you enjoy your day fishing and hopefully catching too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...