Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2021, 02:04 PM

Exclamation SCAM ALERT- Update 11/26/21 reply #37 WARRANTS issued

IF somebody you do not know approaches or calls you, or someone you know tells you about some wicked deal or guy that can double your money in very short time, you are about to be swindled. If it is too good to be true it is.

A member here was taken for an extremely large amount of money, and the swindler was so educated he wrote the deal up as a personal loan with a promissory note, so no matter what happens there were no laws broken, even with no intent to pay it is not illegal. There was of course no security listed, and the PN was not legal.

We are coming into the most dangerous season, when scammers seem to crawl out of the woodwork. They are in some cases very intelligent, absolutely know their way around a scam, do not get caught like this poor AO member has.

At the very least do a search on the person or their company, it may tell a story.

This happened in Alberta. The guy doing it has taken people for north of $18,000,000 that is known so far. Likely much more over 3-4 decades.

Please be careful and if you have older relatives talk to them about the scams that are becoming more prevelant lately.

This was a 'let us put your money to work for you' day trade swindle mixed with 'buy our software and day trade on your own' scam.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-23-2021, 02:10 PM
AO Sponsor

There is a special place in hell for these types of scammers...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-23-2021, 02:12 PM

Good advice Ken!

Regardless of what it is, if someone approaches me unsolicited with a deal/offer, I'm usually a bit leery. If I knew of a JD 9470R with 600 hrs on it for sale for $50k, I'd be buying it, not telling a random stranger about it.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:19 PM

My rule of thumb is simple. If I am looking to buy something, or invest, I will do my own research and then go looking for something specific that meets my needs. If somebody approaches me out of the blue with a wicked deal or a chance of a lifetime, I'm not interested. Full stop.

It is unfortunate that there are those who fall prey to scams and cons. The mental and emotional toll are often more damaging then the financial loss. Sorry to hear it happened to one of the AO members.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-23-2021, 02:25 PM

Good advice Ken.

Scams come in all shapes and sizes. Recently heard of a fairly well-educated person who got caught up in a well-packaged money-laundering scheme and is now paying for it with jail time.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:02 PM
Banned

Got scammed in October, not the same way, and not for that kind of money WATCH OUT!!! Scammers are everywhere, and they scam in many ways.

Qualify, Qualify, Qualify! I don't know how these criminals sleep at night!

Cheers N40

Last edited by North40Rules; 11-23-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:04 PM

Quick buck

Gets 'em every time

Work, save, invest

If someone swindles your investment, go to his house....pay him a visit
Old 11-23-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Quick buck

Gets 'em every time

Work, save, invest

If someone swindles your investment, go to his house....pay him a visit
I like the way you roll
Old 11-23-2021, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I like the way you roll
But the Police don't, and you can get in a lot of trouble handling it on your own. Is the potential prison time worth it?
Old 11-23-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
But the Police don't, and you can get in a lot of trouble handling it on your own. Is the potential prison time worth it?

If you do bad things to bad people the odds of getting away with it dramatically increase for some reason

Just something I have observed over the years
Old 11-23-2021, 03:29 PM

Good advice Ken,there are lots of scammers,if it's to good to be true then it probably is..I get calls every day from all over North America,IT'S got to a point where I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number,then I block the caller if they don't leave a ,message which they never do.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:45 PM

Wow,

If you allow your greed to outweigh your sense, you'll get bit.

Ken, how is someone smart enough to amass 18000000 and so dumb to give it away? Where is the money manager/account when this happens?
I'm sure these are rhetorical questions as your responsibilities are to him and not us.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Wow,

If you allow your greed to outweigh your sense, you'll get bit.

Ken, how is someone smart enough to amass 18000000 and so dumb to give it away? Where is the money manager/account when this happens?
I'm sure these are rhetorical questions as your responsibilities are to him and not us.
18m was not 1 guy. This was many people over decades.

I have no responsibility to him, I am not under contract. Just helping a neighbor.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-23-2021, 05:24 PM

I got a couple cold calls today some guy talking about investing, he was very persistent and well spoken. I could see how some people could possibly fall for that crap, I oftentimes keep guys who are scammers tied up for a while but I was busy today so hung up after a minute or 2. Rule of thumb if someone calls you or emails you don’t say a thing personally and never give out any info. If an organization wants you to contact them use the internet to obtain a phone number never call back
Old 11-23-2021, 05:43 PM

18 million, I'm surprised he's still alive.

Someone should 'fall' for this, you have a million to invest but the deal hinges on meeting this crook in person.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
IF somebody you do not know approaches or calls you, or someone you know tells you about some wicked deal or guy that can double your money in very short time, you are about to be swindled. If it is too good to be true it is.

A member here was taken for an extremely large amount of money, and the swindler was so educated he wrote the deal up as a personal loan with a promissory note, so no matter what happens there were no laws broken, even with no intent to pay it is not illegal. There was of course no security listed, and the PN was not legal.

We are coming into the most dangerous season, when scammers seem to crawl out of the woodwork. They are in some cases very intelligent, absolutely know their way around a scam, do not get caught like this poor AO member has.

At the very least do a search on the person or their company, it may tell a story.

This happened in Alberta. The guy doing it has taken people for north of $18,000,000 that is known so far. Likely much more over 3-4 decades.

Please be careful and if you have older relatives talk to them about the scams that are becoming more prevelant lately.

This was a 'let us put your money to work for you' day trade swindle mixed with 'buy our software and day trade on your own' scam.
Why not let the identity of the scammer be known as a helpful warning to others?
Old 11-23-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
On the one hand, I have no sympathy for people whose greed makes them fall for this crap. On the other hand, I have an 81 year old mother living alone who was swindled out of a few grand on the phone recently in a different scheme. It's a special kind of pond scum that preys on the elderly.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I figure it this way....

Unless they execute me, i will get out someday......

And in this country, youd likely never serve time. Every liberal crybaby group would coddle you, your lawyer would be free, and the judge would appreciate your dedication and candor

Last edited by huntinstuff; 11-23-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:00 PM

I dream of going to prison.
It's an all inclusive vacation.
I could get a book or 2 finished in there...
Old 11-23-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
If you do bad things to bad people the odds of getting away with it dramatically increase for some reason

Just something I have observed over the years
My experience has been different. When a local kid broke into my place on Slave Lake a few years ago and a few of us went to have a chat with him at his house, the High Prairie detachment was all over me threatening to bring me in if I went near him again. I laughed at the member that called me back in GP...literally. But still, point taken. That's the snowflake world we live in now. The kid was dumb enough to do it five days after his 18th birthday. The record might be a problem for him if he wasn't dead already.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I figure it this way....

Unless they execute me, i will get out someday......
Ya but at your age do you want to spend the last few years of your life playing spades and having sex with inmates (against your will), or hunting and fishing and loving your life?

Me, unless someone kills a family member, then I will learn my lesson and move on. If someone messes with my family, that is an entirely different story, if you know what I mean?
Old 11-23-2021, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
My experience has been different. When a local kid broke into my place on Slave Lake a few years ago and a few of us went to have a chat with him at his house, the High Prairie detachment was all over me threatening to bring me in if I went near him again. I laughed at the member that called me back in GP...literally. But still, point taken. That's the snowflake world we live in now. The kid was dumb enough to do it five days after his 18th birthday. The record might be a problem for him if he wasn't dead already.
See, you went to chat

There should be no chatting
Old 11-23-2021, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Ya but at your age do you want to spend the last few years of your life playing spades and having sex with inmates (against your will), or hunting and fishing and loving your life?

Me, unless someone kills a family member, then I will learn my lesson and move on. If someone messes with my family, that is an entirely different story, if you know what I mean?
Youd never do time in Canada. Never.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:16 PM

😅😅😅😅😅😅
Old 11-23-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Why not let the identity of the scammer be known as a helpful warning to others?
It is an active RCMP investigation.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
On the one hand, I have no sympathy for people whose greed makes them fall for this crap. On the other hand, I have an 81 year old mother living alone who was swindled out of a few grand on the phone recently in a different scheme. It's a special kind of pond scum that preys on the elderly.
A family in my neighborhood are apparently not too bright. They sold their dairy and got involved with one of these double your money guys. They not only lost a pile of money, but apparently failed to pay the relevant taxes, so Revenue Canada is after them as well.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-23-2021, 07:00 PM

Hey Ken, I’m a little confused. Did they swindle somebody into giving them money to invest and never set them up to trade? Then did they take the money and run? Or did they set them up an account and they lost money with a few poor investments?
Old 11-23-2021, 07:11 PM

Default If it’s too good to be true ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HKtFOPUfncc
Old 11-23-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Hey Ken, I’m a little confused. Did they swindle somebody into giving them money to invest and never set them up to trade? Then did they take the money and run? Or did they set them up an account and they lost money with a few poor investments?
He was talked into lending them money on a personal promissory note with promises of huge interest and share profit dividends, with no mention of structure or shares, and no security.

I have lent money, but never to someone I don't know and never without 2x the value of the money sitting in my care and control.

I am much more careful and being burned once. I have a bill of sale for a jeep in BC but he didn't tell me you need some other piece of paper. Like title in the States maybe.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I have lent money, but never to someone I don't know and never without 2x the value of the money sitting in my care and control.
I've loaned a lot of money to a lot of friends, family, heck even acquaintances over the years. My lawyer has always handled the paperwork and registered the appropriate liens at their expense. Oddly enough, I've never had a problem getting repaid.